Home Dead by Daylight Forums PTB Feedback Archives 2.6.0 PTB

Why new chapter on PTB?

Mike_KarmanMike_Karman Member Posts: 28

Am I the only one that is a little annoyed and confused about the idea, to release the new chapter on the PTB first?

I am aware that there are usually some problems and complaints about the new killer and stuff... but that is part of the experience! Play against a new killer that no one knows and experiencing that thrill with everyone for the first time.
Now, when I join the first game when the new chapter is officially released some people already know the killer. It kind of takes away the fun...

I don't know. I'm kind of unhappy with their choice to do things this way.
I'm very open to read Your opinions to cheer me up ;)

Comments

• NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 8,050
    I mean as a console player, it somewhat annoys me but overall they want their product to be polished and bug free. If you have a PC, you can always go to the PTB but sadly I can't 😢.
  • Mike_KarmanMike_Karman Member Posts: 28

@Nickenzie said:
    I mean as a console player, it somewhat annoys me but overall they want their product to be polished and bug free. If you have a PC, you can always go to the PTB but sadly I can't 😢.

Oh, yes, exactly! Another point I hadn't even considered!
    Playing the PTB is... well... progress not counted...

• TheWorldconsumerTheWorldconsumer Member Posts: 82

@Mike_Karman said:

@Nickenzie said:

Oh, yes, exactly! Another point I hadn't even considered!
    Playing the PTB is... well... progress not counted...

That is because the PTB and the live version are 2 totally different builds of this game. The moment you play one, you cannot play the other. The PTB simply takes like a "picture" of your progress in the live version and uses this as backup for it. I think having it explained like this makes it pretty obvious WHY your progress wont be saved.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,200

It basically removes the fear of playing against a new killer
    But then, this game isnt close to a horrorgame anyway so who cares

Personally I will just watch the PTB in streams and will keep doing my dailies on the real client till they fix their game (hopefully PTB will show first signs of some balance, but honestly I doubt it)

• VisionmakerVisionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

It's so that the game isn't ridiculously buggy either.

If you were here for the CNY event, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I'd rather help test things out and fix bugs than have it go live and be buggy as heck just to not know the new killer etc. I've been closed testing/alpha and up testing since 1984 and even got to playtest an arcade version of pong before 15 lol.

Trust me it's better to do it this way then to go through what a lot of players have dealt with especially in relation to EA and Blizzard after Activision bought them. If you really want to be surprised just don't test nor read anything dealing with it.

• Shaira733Shaira733 Member Posts: 7

I think doing this is a good idea. No, it's not ideal. But there are SO MANY players who complain about the game being buggy and new features (for example new chapters) not getting tested properly before release.

Now they are doing that and people complain again? Come on.

I honestly feel so bad for the devs in general. No matter what they do, the community does nothing but bash them.
    This doesn't go against you guys on this post, but the community in general.
    Spread the positivity guys <3 Have you never seen the life of Brian? ;)

• AbyssionknightAbyssionknight Member Posts: 69

Considering we're only going to get 8 patches a year from now on, I think it's crucial that stuff gets tested on the PTB so that we aren't going to spend a month and a half suffering through an incredibly buggy and unenjoyable patch.

I mean, there's only so much a small group of devs and testers can discover, and often when you design something you have a particular perspective on something and how it should work, so game breaking uses / abuses might simply not occur to you. Putting this stuff on PTB gives them potentially thousands of testers for free which means a lot of the big imbalances these big changes might bring can be addressed before someone like you ever has to suffer through it.

Besides, who doesn't enjoy a free demo of content before purchasing it?

• SinistrousSinistrous Member Posts: 44

Freddy was a disaster, we don't want something like that happening. I guess it's just to help balance the new killers and see how it plays with the community.

• Mike_KarmanMike_Karman Member Posts: 28

@Shaira733 said:
    I think doing this is a good idea. No, it's not ideal. But there are SO MANY players who complain about the game being buggy and new features (for example new chapters) not getting tested properly before release.

Now they are doing that and people complain again? Come on.

I honestly feel so bad for the devs in general. No matter what they do, the community does nothing but bash them.
    This doesn't go against you guys on this post, but the community in general.
    Spread the positivity guys <3 Have you never seen the life of Brian? ;)

That positivity is why I tried to be polite when asking my question ;)
    Rainbows and looooove!

Before I fully understand though, one more thing needs to be explained to me:
    Where is the difference between testing the killer on the PTB and testing the killer on the main servers?
    Except that when testing on the main servers at least I earn some bloodpoints in the process...

• weirdkid5weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,096

Every new Killer released halfway busted.

Both Overwatch and Siege do this if I'm not mistaken, I know OW does. All nonlincensed characters are free now, so they should test them before launch.

If you are a console player, sorry dude. That's just the pros of playing on PC. There will be plenty of people streaming it don't worry (I would shamelessly self advertise but....)

• Darkangel93xDarkangel93x Member Posts: 12

Id say the Reason this went PTB because changes this time are quite massive given alone the added Shop. Doesn't hurt that it gets tested before issues occure when real money is involved.

• Shaira733Shaira733 Member Posts: 7

Before I fully understand though, one more thing needs to be explained to me:
    Where is the difference between testing the killer on the PTB and testing the killer on the main servers?
    Except that when testing on the main servers at least I earn some bloodpoints in the process...

Well, in the PTB you chose wether or not you want to test the new, unfinished, possibly buggy content, but you don't have to. If they test it on the live servers you have no choice whatsoever to play against clowns and you will have bugs in your game without wanting them, without wanting to participate in the testing phase.

I hope everyone who reads this has a nice day <3
    Be safe out there in the fog

• RuniverRuniver Member Posts: 2,095

@Mike_Karman said:
    Am I the only one that is a little annoyed and confused about the idea, to release the new chapter on the PTB first?

I am aware that there are usually some problems and complaints about the new killer and stuff... but that is part of the experience! Play against a new killer that no one knows and experiencing that thrill with everyone for the first time.
    Now, when I join the first game when the new chapter is officially released some people already know the killer. It kind of takes away the fun...

I don't know. I'm kind of unhappy with their choice to do things this way.
    I'm very open to read Your opinions to cheer me up ;)

You can actually discover it on the PTB tho.
    It's either you get the thrill, and an underpowered killer as a result because devs are scared of putting something strong in game, or they let players to test it beforehand and he's better when the live version comes.

It's up to you, but I prefer the 2nd version.