Home Technical Issues

Alt-Tab Crash

βLAKEβLAKE Member Posts: 544
edited July 2019 in Technical Issues

OOF this game has its moments and I just had a big one. I just prestiged my Freddy so I was looking to get some points. I see that I have a doctor daily and survivor pudding so I put that on. Luckily I got a decent map with survivors putting anniversary cake. Things were looking good for me since I have bonus bp offerings and distressing. I get the 4K, I am salivating at the amount of points I am about to get. As the last survivor on the hook is dying, I decided to alt tab and open google chrome. The second I alt-tab DBD crashes. I get no points, I lose my offering, I lose my addons, and the daily is incomplete.

I had crashes before, but they are rare and usually happen during loading so I didn't mind it. However, this one hit me hard. I love this game, but this game always tests my love for it when things like this happen.

*Went ahead and changed the title so that those who are sensitive don't get mad*

Post edited by βLAKE on

Comments

• βLAKEβLAKE Member Posts: 544

What do you mean the PC hung? This game barely utilizes 20% of my PC resources. I can alt-tab any other game even those that have a higher graphical demand than DBD. I am just venting here, not calling out any specific devs so lets cool the fanboy response please.

• BenzinjiqBenzinjiq Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2019

I really doubt he knows that he's talking about because no way this game uses "20% of PC resources" cause it is the most unoptimized game I have played

• PizzamanPizzaman Member Posts: 328

Why don't you just post it in "Technical Issues" or "Bug Reports"?

• Reaper236Reaper236 Member Posts: 7

Hate to tell you my dude...this ones on you. I did the same thing a lot before matches began. I would tab out to go check something and the game would suddenly crash. After getting frustrated with it after a while, I stopped tabbing out and the problem stopped as well. You cant blame the devs on this one, it's not their fault you were impatient and couldnt wait until after the match was over.

• Wubsyy__Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 116

Imagine thinking it's the game's fault that it crashed when you alt tabbed.

• Bone_IdolBone_Idol Member Posts: 31

I had an interesting glitch last night playing Freddy that caused me to have to quit out and lose all my points, I had 3 survivors dead and closed hatch forcing endgame, I found last survivor just before time was up, I downed him with a few secs left and thought hmm wondering if I can still hook him, picked him up and timer ended, it forced him off my shoulder to floor and then the entity animation never happened and the game never ended, waited 5 mins and had to quit out

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,510
    edited July 2019

Little defensive arent we?

Venting. About an issue you believe to be the fault of the game.

If it only happens WHEN you alt tab, alt tabbing caused it.

I simply stated that it may have been an issue that the PC assisted in, and not simply devs code.

And fanboy? Oh honey that's a good one. Really grasping to snap back arent ya?

I'm sorry. I must have misread the patch note that says if you alt-tab you crash immediately.

I guess I touched a nerve when I said fanboy. I only called you a fanboy because you were the first to snap back and question me about "attacking devs". I will go easy on you next time I guess since these forums are too sensitive these days.

edited July 2019

I still don't understand how it's my fault. Yes, I alt-tabbed, but why does it have to be this game in particular that has to crash? Like I don't see anywhere in the game or in the patch notes that strictly says, "don't alt-tab or you will crash". Like everyone here in the forums is hounding me for calling this out and telling me its my fault for alt-tabbing, but I didn't break a rule here and I was punished for it unknowingly. I have the right to alt-tab and because of it I crashed and lost valuable progress and yet its my fault the game fails me?

I should probably make a different one just laying out the issue and how it happened. This post was just me venting. Great idea though.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 17,014

Alt-tab is unstable for the vast majority of fullscreen programs. Many, many games crash because of it.

• PurrPurr Member Posts: 79

not attacking u or blaming or anything just curious....

why would u alt tab when u can ctrl tab and use steam web browser? i do it all the time to make sure nothing happens at the end of the match.. i only use chrome when im in lobby waiting simulator or in the lobby itself

I did not know this since many of the games I play don't crash because of it.

Steam web browser is trash in my personal opinion. Plus I like using Chrome because it auto signs me in and I have bookmarks already set to go. I just never thought in this situation that Dead by Daylight can't handle a simple alt-tab situation.

*Went ahead and changed the title so that those who are sensitive don't get mad*

• TyRamosTyRamos Member Posts: 8

What a crock of [BAD WORD]. Alt tab shouldn't crash games. Even League of Legends which popularized the phrase "spaghetti code" doesn't crash when you alt tab. This isn't 2006 anymore.

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,510

Haha I'm not sensitive OR defending devs.

I made a statement about what it could have been and suggested not blaming the game. You took it personally and defended your PC stats as "proof".

You saying fanboy is funny. Because A- Its an inaccurate statement and B- im a chick.

Dont post on a public forum if you refuse to hear differing opinions without getting defensive and aggressive.

Yikes. Alright dude im going to stop since you are really triggered. Feel free to reply on this forum, but lets keep it back on topic alright? I'm sorry I offended you by calling you a fanboy. There, happy?

• ThatsSkyepieThatsSkyepie Member Posts: 1

Alt tab isnt supposed to crash games, so this is definitely the games fault. Also alt ctrl doesn't work on my dbd. Its fine with every game, but dbd. I can alt tab though. Though if its a loading screen and I alt tab, it crashes.

This game has serious bugs. Like [BAD WORD] bad.

• BenzinjiqBenzinjiq Member Posts: 17

Dbd as unoptimized and buggy as it may be i have never crashed with alt tab on any game which suggests instability in op's PC(prolly thought you oc by just pushing sliders LOL).

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 4,399

I've had plenty of fullscreen games crash from an alt-tab for absolutely no reason. Either a straight CTD, or hang and need to force-close via task manager.

It's not specifically a DbD problem.

• ABannedCatABannedCat Member Posts: 2,482

Dbd is one hell of a buggy mess, and possibly the worst optimised game (that is not tagged as early-access) I have ever seen. I dont even meet the minimum PC requirements. But it had never crashed while alt-tabbing. And I alt-tab alot. Mainly for checking my ping, or CPU/GPU usage during matches.

Dbd does crash on the most random occurences, though.

• s0cial_outc4sts0cial_outc4st Member Posts: 59

Again, you couldn't have just waited 30 seconds? The game was literally about to end. You're so angry and argumentative over something that could have been avoided, had you just waited a tiny bit longer.

• saminationsamination Member Posts: 307

Soooo... Don't hit alt tab while playing again?

At the very least don't do it while still in the trial.