Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why Pallets?

HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I don't know if this was ever discussed when the game first came out or not but when the Developers were choosing things for Survivors to defend themselves with why did they choose pallets?

Pallets are huge and thick, the fact that every Killer in the game can break a pallet with two swings is a real testament to their inhuman strength. I am just generally curious as to why pallets were chosen, they could have chosen a stack of boxes or a dirty shopping cart, maybe a switch that closes a door and the animation is breaking the door etc. And in that note were doors ever on the table in the design phase? I'm not judging I am just actually curious, also why are the pallets blue?

p.s should this be in the Lore section or is General discussions fine? I'm not asking why the Entity chose pallets I'm asking why it was a game design choice so I don't think so.

Comments

• ColgateAdvancedWhiteColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

I agree. Pallets should be removed for the sake of immersion

• noneofyourbusinessnoneofyourbusiness Member Posts: 532

I'm fine with is, also if someone don't like pallets, just play Spirit/Nurse, lul that's it, simple as everyone knows.

• riotangelriotangel Member Posts: 176

I wish the game feature more types obstacles. Y'know, like, doors and cabinets often shown in horror flicks.

But deep down we already know, with the (unfortunate) current map design style, those extra obstacles will appear even more unnatural. The structures in the maps are so unauthentic it makes little sense to patch them up with doors and such.

Look a game like Last Year the Nightmare and the environments feel so much closer to "yeap, definitely built by humans."

Dead by Daylight look more like some weird playgrounds constructed by non-humans. The Entity's unearthly works of art, probably.

• fluffymareepfluffymareep Member Posts: 634

Probably because pallets are a clean shape. It's probably easy to work with a board to test and play with ideas. They were probably looking for an interaction that can create a temporary path blocking for the survivor so that they may start the match with protection, but will lose that protection when it gets later into the match, making it more finite and tense.

@riotangel Doors you could close would be really cool. Or places you could hide under.

• Maelstrom10Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,920

Actually i work as nightfill in a warehouse in nz And while the pallets certainly aren't as tall as me ( there about a foot shorter or so and im 5'8 ) there actually a two person lift. i don't bloody know what kind of wood there made out of (oak seems to be popular) but they are actually quite heavy, atleast 25-35kg spread over the area making them hard to lift. had one fall off the pallet stack we have and hit me in the shoulder once, kinda gave me an appreciation for the kind of heft they have. that being said our pallets have a top and bottom side not just a top side like the one featured above.

also being hit in the face with a baseball bat would stun you and they typicall weigh around a kg. its not the weight that gets you, its the angular momentum of the swing. thinking pallet logistics, having one of those swung down with the force of gravity at your face would actually hurt a lot.

Dbd's ones are comically big though not unrealistic. expecially for those created by a demon god thing

• George_SorosGeorge_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

OAK? Man you guys gotta be filthy rich in those parts! I bet your fences are made of sausages.

But ok, I guess pushing something with enough force can have a nice punch I guess. Size is still off though.

And you saying "Dbd's ones are comically big though not unrealistic. expecially for those created by a demon god thing" cracked me up. Imagine you're an evil demonic being, ruling over your dark, foggy realm with pretty much all-powerful godly powers, and what do you do in your free time? Why making pallets of course!

• Maelstrom10Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,920

Hey man i don't judge the entitys hobbys haha 😂, And mmm yummy fence sausages,but no in all honestly i don't know wood types all i know is oak is heavy so i said that, but its defiantly not pine wood, least not at my warehouse. though i have seen the exact style pallets you've mentioned at places like bunnings and mitre 10.

And the standard bed. How many times I wish could hide under a bed. The minus is easy to get caught under a bed, and could include a plus for increased struggle time for killer to pull out from the bed.

Or even better - have a killer vs survive struggle key spam. The killer would eventually win, but a survivor's active struggle would delay it.

• fluffymareepfluffymareep Member Posts: 634

The killers wouldn't bother with beds unless they knew a hook was nearby if the struggle time was increased. More ways to hide and stealth would be great, though c:

Beds? I'd just keep tossing my gas under and around... they would come out soon enough :)

• premiumRICEpremiumRICE Member Posts: 750

riding the topic i’d say that having different models based on maps would be cool. For example: boxes in X map, wardrobes in y map.

lastly would be nice to have more thing to “break” maybe adding doors or trees well more objects to drop and stop the killer.

Obviously before any of you flame me there should be a rebalance on the breakable things like less loopable less time consuming for the killer. Btw just thinking would be nice to make the game a bit more energic and with more things to do i mean less monothematic

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited July 2019

I think it would just be really nice to have variety in objects Survivors can throw down

It would all be the same as pallets of course but the model would be different, just anything but boring rainbow colored pallets, can't we be hit by a door for once? lol

I demand a horror movie with pallets as the silver bullet to defeat the all-powerful killer.

Will pay good money to watch.

• MiloMilo Member Posts: 6,834

We should replace them with Pianos

edited July 2019

Imagine if in Lord Of The Rings instead of using magic to stop the balrog from crossing the bridge

Gandalf just used a double pallet spawn to completely loop the balrog and when the balrog caught up hejust did a 360 loop which would cause the balrog to fall straight off because he lunged instead of just hitting like he should have

Wouldn't that be so much better?

Nah, there is no way to fix that garbage movie, though it would help a little.

Would be a pleasure to see Gandalf teabagging, then perhaps facecamped by Saruman.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 13,578

Fact: They once considered Bookshelves instead of Pallets.

I imagine that would be tons harder to break.

This game has made us think of pallets as Godly

This game has made us say "How dare you waste the God Pallet"

WP Bhvr WP, no one in history has said or thought of such a thing before you all came to be

• CymerCymer Member Posts: 942

Don't bring real life logic into the game. If a pallet is dropped on me, I simply could stop it with one hand. They are no indestructible and unstoppable forces.

As a killer I would take it and smack you with it for trying something that stupid on me.

Literally as a killer you could just knock it sideways while the survivor is trying to loop you around it

They could have picked any object in the world that would have made sense. it could have been rusty heavy spiky metal but no

They choose a bloody wooden PALLET

• MadjuraMadjura Member Posts: 2,104

It'd be weird to see bookshelves out in the woods or in the ironworks

Make the skin map specific, like the hooks

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,511

Are we forgetting that the entity uses memories to create what its victims remember?

They're not in ancient Babylon. It's just a Babylonian temple.