We are aware of an issue where the Trapper's Ornate Mask is not appearing in your items - there is no need to contact Support for this matter, we will hopefully have a resolution to this shortly.
The stench of rotting Pustula Plants fills the air: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/93854/
Some players have been facing an issue that causes partial loss of progress. We found one cause of the issue and are planning a fix for the mid-chapter update. In the meantime you can use this workaround: restart the game client after using the Custom game feature. Thank you.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

What exactly is gen rush?

Comments

• ahandfulofrainahandfulofrain Member Posts: 142

That statement is completely false.

Haunted Grounds and Make Your Choice will scare people off of gens due to the exposed effect.

Ruin, Pop, Corrupt, Thrilling, Discordance, Lullaby, Overcharge, Unnerving, and a Sloppy/Nurse's and Thanataphobia combo all provide gen slowing ability. Obviously they're not all the same (and some are better than others) but to say that there's nothing you can do is silly.

I do, however, agree that chases last too long due to some still-present infinites, weird pallet spawns and etc.

• FriendlyGuyFriendlyGuy Member Posts: 804

I think you missed, that the killer actually has to kick the gen for two seconds and a hiding survivor can revert this in a blink of an eye. Im not even kicking gens anymore, if i dont got "Pop goes the Weasel" or "Overcharge".

I feel like "gen rush" is, when you got "Prove Yourself" and "Streetwise" plus a good Toolbox. In an SWF you can do two gens easily before the killer even travelled to you.

• Dr_TrautsDr_Trauts Member Posts: 443

the only problem is you can't do that with quite a few killers. and only the top end killers have the capability to do it really. At the higher ranks at least

• Dr_TrautsDr_Trauts Member Posts: 443
    edited August 16

Of course they can, every killer has the POTENTIAL to perform at red ranks in certain conditions. im just saying some killers find map pressure more difficult than others, weather it be map dependant, the killers mobility or chase potential. It often isnt as black and white as down a survivor and hook them when many other factors play a role in the match that effect the killers pressure, some (or quite of few) of which are entirely out of the killers control.

• brokedownpalacebrokedownpalace Member Posts: 3,081

I just gotta say I love how matter-of-fact your comments often are.

• GroxiverdeGroxiverde Member Posts: 475

Gen rush is when all gens are done in 4-5 minutes.

• FriendlyGuyFriendlyGuy Member Posts: 804

That's another type of pressure in my eyes. Gen pressure is the ability to keep survivors off gens and/or decrease the gen progression as a killer. For sure, enough hook pressure can cause gen pressure too, but only chasing generates no gen pressure. Even hooking a survivor only gets one survivor off a gen.

• WeederickWeederick Member Posts: 569

In my experience, hook pressure is the only real pressure. Keeping each chase under 30-60s is a must to keep gen progression in check. The whole kicking gens and protecting them only leads to failure as you can only waste time until your next hook. Free hits, injuring, downing people counters genrush.

• SairekSairek Member Posts: 1,902

Exposed effects scare off newbie survivors. Good survivors aren't scared off, especially when they know pallets are nearby and they know they can outlast the exposed effect even in a chase. Watch any good rank 1 survivor play; they play like exposed means nothing and play 80% of the match injured anyways.

Ruin is very RNG based, and can be countered by just doing great skill checks. I've had games where my Ruin lasted all game, but gens were still done in about 5 minutes.

Corrupt doesn't stop generators from being done. If anything, it only encourages the survivors to spread out to the other generators, which can be even worse.

Huntress Lullaby doesn't slow anything down directly -- it just makes skill checks more difficult and legit does nothing at the start of the game. The same can be said for Unnerving Presence.

Thanatophobia slows the game down a laughably small amount even in the best case scenario, which is countered by even a brown tool box. Even if everyone you were playing against ran No Mither and had -14% repair speed on all 5 generators and had no tool boxes, no Prove Thyself, no Resilience -- the gens could still be finished in a little more than 5 minutes.

Discordance, Surveillance, and Thrilling do not slow the game down. They are tracking perks.

Sloppy Butcher and Nurses don't do anything to slow down gen rush. They make damage more sticky, but most good survivors don't even bother healing and just use adrenaline after pushing said generators and using Dead Hard as effectively another health state, making them both basically dead perks.

Pop does help the gen pressure a little bit, but the problem with it is that you sacrifice pressure to go out of your way to find and kick a generator that has 25% or more progress on it, which usually you'll find a survivor on said generator and the best course of action is to chase the survivor in that case instead of letting them go scottfree to kick the generator -- and if you can't get a hook or apply any pressure to snowball, it does basically nothing. Reducing generator progress by 25% is nothing if 3 other survivors are still able to do generators. That's effectively only making generators last 6.5 seconds -- some of those seconds you spent walking to and kicking the generator in the first place.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 10,698

Whenever survivors play better than the killer and complete the gens really really fast.

• woundcowboywoundcowboy Member Posts: 135

Yea but there is no comparison between the time taken to down with a killer like wraith or pig vs spirit or nurse. M1 killers down people too slow to generate strong pressure.

• WeederickWeederick Member Posts: 569

3-genning doesnt work against good survivors. If you chase, one of them gets done. If you dont, the rest are done for free. And then you have nothing to compete against full hookstate survivors who will gladly tap it one at a time but stay out of your reach, since you have to chase at some point for a hook, and they only need 30s to repair one gen. It may work with some Doctorbuilds against casuals.

Not focusing on loopers is also a low-midrank strategy. What do you if you face 4 decent survivors who can loop, abandon every chase until the game is over? At r1 you often face teams, where everyone can loop decently. Those are the games that matter and need to be won and 3 genning is shooting yourself.

• somewherenearsomewherenear Member Posts: 33

Thanks for all the replies - heres a summary for those that are interested what I think is the best answer based on the responses

Gen Rush is common a killer mindset that survivors are "rushing" to finish generators because they are busy chasing a survivor. I think this is a wrong mindset, since doing generators is the survivors job. They aren't rushing it since they really have nothing else to do.

True "Gen Rush" is when a team runs 4 purpe toolboxes and does nothing but generators, even when they are injured (skip healing). This answer makes the most sense to me. I just started to play killer (and Ive played hundreds of hours as survivor), and I have never seen this. I'd imagine it would have to be 4 SWF who are all much better than a killer and feels confident they can avoid detection and loop successfully even when injured. This is probably only seen at high ranks since at Rank 8 killer (where I am at) and lower, I haven't seen anyone close to being able to pull this off.

My conclusion is that for a majority of us players, gen rushing is not really a problem.

Really appreciate everyone's answers!

• oxygenoxygen Member Posts: 493

On the reasonable side it's pointing out that gens can fly by incredibly fast and that some sort of secondary objective would be great if implemented correctly. So criticizing the game or specific systems surrounding generators like completion time, strength of gen regression and effectiveness of stalling tools.

On the unreasonable side it's blaming SURVIVORS for doing their objective effectively. Argue about the balance of time management surrounding generators, it is something that could need work for sure, but blaming players for doing their primary objective as quickly as possible is just plain silly.

• UltraBananaUltraBanana Member Posts: 94

It's a game where if there are no weak links on the survivor team it can be over in 5 minutes or less; and there are easily 15-20 pallets on each map that can be looped by an experienced survivor with very little room for counterplay; then add in some infinite window action on top of that and it's pretty rough out there for the m1 killers. Survivors are also given a ton of second chance perks to use if they choose to which can stall out chases for an incredibly long time. Killers have the OP spirit fury / enduring combo to deal with it; or noed which is there after the game has been lost basically.

• ThasardThasard Member Posts: 69

It's what happens when one generator is completed before the first hook happens, which is sometimes preceded with a killer DCing. So make sure to 99 that gen and wait for the hook! 🤣

• ZixologyZixology Member Posts: 177

Gen-Rushing is when survivors work on generators instead of going afk.

• Mister_HoldoutMister_Holdout Member Posts: 1,176

Gen rushing refers to the survivors' ability to complete all the generators in a very quick time period.

If survivors choose to do this (and assuming they are good in chases) the killer is basically screwed. Only a few killer setups can stop skilled survivors from gen rushing imo.

• ABannedCatABannedCat Member Posts: 868

Genrushing is when the killer gets iridescent in chaser, and malicious emblem, but bronze or nothing at all in gatekeeper.

Basically, you apply pressure on the survivors, but it doesnt matter, because you cant apply it on all of them at the same time.

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 3,968

It's when Survivors are optimizing for generator speed rather than anything else such as BP, Emblems or Safety/Stealth

• AccornAccorn Member Posts: 89

When you play as someone like the clown and the game is 60% over before you even cross the map. M1 killers are worthless unless a secondary, mandatory objective is added or gen completion times are increased. So until then I hope survivors like hillbilly, nurse, spirit, and occasionally huntress.

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 3,447

@Peanits May I ask, is what you wrote in this thread your personal opinion or is this BHVR's official stand on the genrush topic? Or both?