Home Discussions General Discussions
Due to an issue with Hit Validation affecting interactions with Oni players, we are temporarily disabling the feature until the next hotfix.

Why does the hatch even exist?

Seriously. Why? As a killer I destroy a SWF group once in a blue moon. When I say destroy I mean only 1-2 gens repaired with 2 sacrifices. But I still have to slug, and look for the last guy. Which at that point I've already won, and all this hunting I'm doing for a hidden survivor is just a form of holding the game hostage imo. So either the sluged survivor bleeds out, or I find the last guy.

They bleed out, and the hatch opens. Why? Why does the last survivor get to play "who can find the hatch first mini-game?"

As a survivor when a killer destroys my team I find the hatch, and escape about 70% of the time. And although I'm glad I kept my items I always think to myself that I shouldn't be able to do that.

I don't get the logic behind absolutely 100% getting crushed, and still winning.

I know the killer can find it first, and close it. And I know for a lot of people the killer always finds it first. Experiences vary. But it still makes me laugh at how weird it is when I escape when I really had no business escaping.

I think the hatch should be key only, and it shouldn't automatically open when the exit gates are powered.

Just my unbiased opinion.

Comments

• ChickenchaserChickenchaser Member Posts: 391

What's my bias then? I enjoy both sides. I'm not biased towards either side.

• KagrenacKagrenac Member Posts: 773

so at least 1 person has a chance to get out. if there was no hatch there would literally be nothing that survivor could do as the last player alive.

• Locker_MonsterLocker_Monster Member Posts: 496

I'm Killer biased (I only do Survivor with friends to shoot the breeze while playing), and even I agree the Hatch is fine. It's a last chance lucky find & escape.

It sucks when someone brings in a key, but at that point, either I or they are winning pretty hard, so I can suck it up.

• ShroomburgerShroomburger Member Posts: 5

The point is to give the last survivor the hope of escaping. If there was no chance, people would either just hide all game or just give up and run at the killer.

With the hatch, there is still tension between the 2 teams until the very end.

• ChickenchaserChickenchaser Member Posts: 391

No. The hatch sucks for the survivor also. It favors both equally. I don't claim to have all the answers of how end game would need to be completely reworked to to keep the hatch closed on the last survivor, but I do know I shouldn't win after I've lost.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,215

The hatch is there because of trash team mates imo. People always like to bring up how the game is meant to be played without comms so that is more than likely one of the reasons. I could list more but everyone else has already listed those as well.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member Posts: 14,127
  • AlphaJacksonAlphaJackson Member Posts: 625

The irony of the hatch is that it rewards players for not participating in the game, from my exprience as both killer and survivor the person who gets hatch is often times at the bottom of th team, even with escape bonus since they never put themselves at an actual risk or being hooked by just being immersed the whole game until everybody else is dead or does gens for them so they can escape. The players who are activly helping their team with gens and rescues I find die alot more because they are trying to progress the game and in doing so risk their lives. so they never actually get to make use of the hatch, atop that is when a player who gets hatch does come top, it is most likely because of the bonus points they get from escaping, even though they are completely undeserving. I honestly think as both a survivor and killer that the hatch should be removed an in place a new system which you will be allowed to escape, providing you are able to complete a mini game of sorts against the killer.

• Mellow7Mellow7 Member Posts: 766

New hatch mechanics are bullshit, just get rid of the hatch tbh. I can't count the times that I get teammates who don't do any gens all game and just sit and farm hooks, then when it's 2 people left they hide the entire game because they know that even if they don't do gens they'll be rewarded with a hatch and if closed they still have a 2nd chance to escape. Badly designed imo I think that hatch should only spawn after 2 gens are completed.

• GhostFire689GhostFire689 Member Posts: 3

It’s fine as it is. Atleast you can close the hatch. All you gotta do is just find it. And if the survivor finds it before you, then they got it fair and square.

• IMhereRUNIMhereRUN Member Posts: 468

Hatching out isn’t winning, it’s admission of defeat.

• Shad03Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

Hatch is fine, it's the complimentary prize for survivors who sucked that game. Just enjoy the 3k, or quit complaining, non-issue here.

Killer main btw.

• CreepytacoCreepytaco Member Posts: 36

The hatch is a simple game mechanic and last hope that ought to be left alone, especially since often it is more easily found by the killer. However I'm lost behind the logic of someone who is still alive somehow "losing."

• CreepytacoCreepytaco Member Posts: 36

LOL what? I think some people here might be reading too much into things.

• May_Be_AFKMay_Be_AFK Member Posts: 46

Wait? You find the hatch that often? You must be waiting for it because my hatches get closed nearly instantly. As it seems to spawn next to the last person running the killer.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member Posts: 14,127

Most people are fine with escaping through the hatch, you’re the only person that I’ve seen want the current hatch gone or only openable with a key.