The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why does the hatch even exist?

Comments

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 9,379

Most people are fine with escaping through the hatch, you’re the only person that I’ve seen want the current hatch gone or only openable with a key.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,316

As with oh so many things for survivors, getting rid of the hatch isnt likely.

Theres a few things that annoy me tho

• It grants the "Escaped" bonus. "Like a participating trophy bigger than a world champion one"
    • Survivors dont need to do anything for it to spawn anymore
    • It still opens/spawns when the gates are open.

Off tpoic but mentioned in this topic already:

Solo is only "miserable" because swf and cwf exist. Those two additional modes grant more/even more knowledge/certainity in this game based on randomness and uncertainity. And most players get used to that feeling about knowing the skill of your teammates, their intentions, current locagions and telling you what they plan to do.

• CymerCymer Member Posts: 758

Look it from a game dev perspective. The game needs always a way out for survivors to be entertaining and hooking (no pun intended). The hatch provides a luck factor in the game and getting a lucky hatch gives a nice rush of dopamine for the survivors. Yes it is frustrating for the killer, but there are 4/1 ratio...so bad luck (literally).

One thing I would argue is the hatch opening when the last survivor is alive and exit gates are open and all but one survivor left. But this is also an edge case and can have it's reasons.

• oxygenoxygen Member Posts: 343
    edited August 22

Remember that EGC didn't always exist. Back then if the hatch didn't exist survivors could just hide for as long as they wanted if they decided to do so, and as long as they sometimes touches a gen here and there you couldn't even claim they were taking the game hostage and not trying to actually win either.

Remember what happened before when everyone but one survivor died with 5 gens still up? Some people did actually try to do 2 gens and get the hatch, some people simply ran to the killer to die, but there were people that would just hide. Creep along the edge of the map, locker hop in the basement forever or something else. Original hatch was terribly flawed because of the hatch standoff, but it was basically the original "make a game the killer already decisively won end sooner rather than later" mechanic, and that's without getting into the more lore-based stuff surrounding the Entity giving the survivors hope to feed on and all of that.

Because that's the thing - if you've already killed 3 survivors (ESPECIALLY with more than 3 gens still up) you've already decisively won. With the old killer pip system it was 100% guaranteed you had pipped as well since a pip was 2 kills + 1 hook (ignoring DCs and moris I guess). Double pip / 4k isn't supposed to be the regular win condition, it's supposed to be an extra decisive victory, a TOTAL defeat for the survivors.

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 3,169

@RakimSockem Some killers want the 4k because they care about pips or they want to max out their bloodpoints. Queue times are quite long currently, so it's not as if the killer can instantly move on to the next match.

I also find it boring when I'm getting slugged but I understand the killer's perspective as well.

• IMhereRUNIMhereRUN Member Posts: 146

Nope, the objective is repair 5 gens and escape.

If you’re hatching out with gens not done, it’s admission of defeat. You’ve purposely abandoned your primary (and only) objective knowing you can no longer complete it.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 1,539
    edited August 22

The hatch is the only reason you can find the last survivor. If they have no objective for which they have to rush and expose themselves survivors can be literally impossible to find and you need a incredible amount of luck and patience. So think, it's better a 3k or 60 minutes of aimless wandering around a map?

• ASAPTurtleASAPTurtle Member Posts: 311
    edited August 22

Stopped reading after you saying you have to slug.

• ZerLukasZerLukas Member Posts: 19

Since the Engame collapse was introduced the hatch is 100% fine.

Also it's unnecessary to slug the 3rd now. Especially with BBQ - hook them, closer to the edge of the map if possible, and you might find out where is the last one. If there is no aura shown - get out of here, let them save and come back. You can try to find the hatch while they're saving(if it's already spawned of course) Repeat it and you'll either find both survivors or one will eventually die and it goes back to "who finds the hatch first"

• martin27martin27 Member Posts: 420

I like the whole 50/50 chance of who is going to find the hatch, it's why i don't slug the second to last survivor. On the hook you go and let the game begin.

• MrPeterPFLMrPeterPFL Member Posts: 69

Another killer greedy for kills

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 19

1 person escaping via hatch is not a loss. It probably just seems that way because most survivors that do get the hatch think they did something special and they dance around and t-bag.... Probably kids.....

• thereals3vinthereals3vin Member Posts: 4

It's quite comical that this entire thread is people disagreeing with you and yet you choose to pick a single comment and try to disagree with 1 person like there isnt a group agreeing that the hatch is fine.

As a survivor main and probably main by like 95%, it's already so hard to compete with a killer 1v1. I would not have any fun if I knew that when it got to that point I had no chance. The door closes on me probably close to 75% of the time anyway.

• JoeyDonutsJoeyDonuts Member Posts: 7

False. The survivors objective is ESCAPE. Repairing generators is only one aspect of supplying the means to complete this.

• ChickenchaserChickenchaser Member Posts: 391

After the third person is downed, and There's only 2 gens repaired I'm already hidden in a locker where I can see the killer. After he hooks I watch where he goes, and I run in the opposite direction. That strategy works well for me.

I don't sit on the hatch.

• ChickenchaserChickenchaser Member Posts: 391
  • KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 3,145

I see what you are doing here. Nobody has noticed what this thread truly is yet. I commend you.

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 1,575

The Hatch opening requirements were better before the EGC was implemented. Instead of always opening when there's only one Survivor left, the Killer could've smacked the gate once to power it and begin the EGC (smacking it a second time would open it) and if they didn't power the gates after 60 seconds, then the EGC would automatically begin. The way it is now, more Survivors can get undeserved escapes after getting destroyed by a Killer. If your team gets destroyed by the Killer before 1 or 2 gens are finished, then you probably don't deserve to escape through the Hatch.

• malloymkmalloymk Member Posts: 311

Exactly. Hatch standoffs only existed because of killers. No we have this wonky end game that completely favors mobile killers (who didn't need the advantage of end game collapse anyway).

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 713
    edited August 22

The hatch exists because of this guy

Perhaps you think your being treated unfairly

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 1,315
    edited August 22

If there were no hatch the DC problem would be even worse than it already is.

Also if you are finding the hatch in 70% of the games and escaping when you are losing... lol you're either a liar or a god at this game.

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 713

When the killer has the hatch spawn right under his feet

And then his rancor procs

• TheBeanTheBean Member Posts: 2,000
    edited August 22

Love it... Killer knows they already won the match at that point... Then slugs the last to get the 4K anyway. Then killer players wonder why survivors will disconnect to give the last survivor the hatch.

Take the chance... You already won... You know it... So take the challenge of trying to beat that last survivor.

• venom12784venom12784 Member Posts: 239

First games would take alot longer if there was no hatch imagine trying to find 1 survivor on MacMillan just hiding not doing gens waiting for you to DC.

Second if you feel this way about the hatch why do you use it while playing survivor?

• rharha Member Posts: 78

Not really, for the old hatch stand-off both!! players really had to have the will to stare at each other for a considerable amount of time because they had to win at any cost. I never understood why it had to be „fixed“ because any one of the involved players was able to prevent it if he wanted to move on to the next game.

Current hatch situation is indeed very much killer sided, but that affects mostly solo survivors who were so much favored by the ranking and matchmaking system with reliable teammates for such a long time that they really deserved a hefty nerf (sarcasm).

I personally think we could do away with the hatch these days. I don’t recall even one game where the hatch was open for longer than 5 seconds because the killer always knew where it was. With gate spawning ridiculously close to each other and highly mobile killers, an escape after hatch is closed is so rare that I think an auto-sacrifice of the 4th survivor after the 3rd has died would actually be a lot fairer because it wouldn’t give the illusion that there is still an actual chance of escaping.

• JohnbleJohnble Member Posts: 4

As a solo survivor main, I have no problems with the hatch. It makes it possible for me to still escape when the other 3 survivors make dumb mistakes and get sacrificed. Why should I go down with the team that couldn't perform like one especially if I'm doing pretty much everything from hook saves to repairing gens while they run around like idiots?

• Cayde1342Cayde1342 Member Posts: 30

I feel like if there is only one person left instead of hatch the exit gates should just be powered so people dont dc on purpose so their friend can escape hatch

• justarandyjustarandy Member Posts: 596

"Just my unbiased opinion" lmao