New perk system rework, in order to give old weak perks new life, whilst retaining the overall meta.
My idea for a system that uses lower level perks, and underused perks and allows them to fit into more builds by lowering their cost of applicability into a loadout.
To sum it up
- All perks have a "pip level" up to a max of 4 at level 3, with the total pips allowed being 16 (so 4 perks at max level.) Lower level variants of some perks, and underused/under powered perks have a lower maximum pip level, allowing more perks to be fit in. iron will lvl 3 would have a pip level of 4, but its lower tier variants due to being much less useful, might have 2/3 pips.
- 8 perks can be technically allowed total. However they all have to fit the maximum "pip power level". You cannot have more then 4 perks all at level 3, unless otherwise specified in very rare circumstances were perks are underpowered enough to warrant that (things such as no one left behind which has the lowest usage rate in the game.) some green rarity perks also fit this category olf being worth less pips at lvl 3.
- Some perk combinations could lock the perk slots into 4 slots only. things such as dance with me, might be a 3-4 pip maximum on their own, but combined with lithe and quick and quiet it becomes an absurdly strong build. hex totem perks are always worth 4 slots however. i believe it would be a better case to just make combo-able perks worth 4 pips always.
- perk level variants are downgrade-able now, whilst retaining ownership of higher level versions. this is to allow for weaker versions of perks to be combined to make larger builds.
- Some perks will never have less then 4 pips even at lower tiers due to their power. Ruin and adrenaline, two of the most used perks in the game come to mind.
- This system also allows for absurdly strong perks by design. something such as infinite exposed for killer or a possible infinite 5% speed boost for survivor, could be a possibility at the expense of being unable to run any other perks. (these are obvious crazy perk ideas that would never be implemented but the point is there.)
- It also allows for "hard mode" perks to not cost pips, or to cost less pips. things such as no mither, might cost 0-2 pips highest rank as it effectively makes the game harder, but could be placed into a variety of builds.
The purpose of this idea is NOT to allow for more then 4 level 3 perks at once (excluding very certain perks like monstrous shrine, or no one left behind,) but to allow for more lower level variants of perks to be played in larger builds, and underpowered perks to see more play. This is designed so that for the most part you will be sticking to having 4 perks, whilst also allowing the freedom to run less then stellar perks in "variety builds" per say. There shouldn't be cases of players running 8 perks unless all their perks are at level 1, and are for the most part underwhelming. The case might become that a killer might run mad grit, agitation, iron grasp, all at level 2 monstorus shrine at level 3 and maybe hangmans trick level 1. or a survivor might run, saboteur level 1, along with breakdown level 3, flip flop, level 2, unbreakable level 1 and no mither lvl 1. or something crazy like that.
Dbd for the most part is around optomising and specializing your build, but for the players who want to be a jack of all trades, run everything at once, they should be able to at a cost (lower level perks.) This also opens up more opportunity for ultra rare offerings, that expand the useable pips for a trial (allowing perhaps an extra perk.) 99% of the time, running 4 perks level 3 will be your best bet. but sometimes you might want to level one or two down, and run that extra perk your missing or just don't have ranked up yet.
Also if this could be used unrestricted (With the option to limit it in the menus) for kill your friends that would lead to some really fun games.