Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Random map selection needs to go.

Comments

• TaigaTaiga Member Posts: 369

The map should just always be the realm of the killer unless an offering is being used

• OGOzSnowChimpOGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

I know I'm still only a fairly new player but I really enjoy the random maps. I don't want a choice or to even know before I load in.

• Sigel667Sigel667 Member Posts: 11

That would take away the Suspense of not knowing what Killer you're going against. It's even worse for Killers who rely on a surprise factor, such as Myers, GF or Wraith.

• MegMain98MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,830

Killers shouldn’t hold the power to pick whatever map they want. I really don’t wanna bore myself playing on Lery’s 50 times over and over again because killers seem to love that map.

I agree that some killers are too map dependent like Huntress. She has like five good maps.

It still gives an advantage for killers because they can choose Blood Lodge as Huntress or Lery’s with Myers every single time.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 12,666

This would be insane for some Killers, in a good and bad way. LIke Billy would probably be happy to get to Coldwind-Maps all the time. Nurse would also not be bad on her Map or Realm, but its kinda meh to remove the Possibility to have a Map vs Nurse, which is not good for her.

And Huntress would suffer a lot, she has the worst Map Control and will end up on really huge Maps.

• FriendlyGuyFriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

There are also heavily killer favored maps like "The Game". They just need to rework some maps.

edited September 2019

I’d rather not have killers permanently stuck on their maps. It would get boring and repetitive especially if you main that killer.

Some killers just have terrible maps. Pig would always be stuck on The Game and Myers on Haddonfield. The random chance of what map you get is fine how it is.

The Game? Killer sided? That’s funny. There is like 15 safe pallets that are not able to be mindgamed. That map is TERRIBLE for killer. If you have Spirit Fury/Enduring combo it is okay but the map is so boring. All you do is kick pallets all game then the round is over.

“Woo! Yay! We love The Game map!”

• NullSp3cNullSp3c Member Posts: 765

I think that there sould be a 3-4 maps pool that survivors go on a vote to ban, if there is 2-2 votes, one of the two is picked "randomly" to be banned. Then, the killer chooses one of the other options.

This has some rules like "2 maps of the same region (exp: rotten fields and thompson house) can't be in the same pool, just 1 of them appears.

This can go really well along with the map reworks, it's also a way for the devs to see which maps are more unbalanced/unfun to play.

• Sackboy123Sackboy123 Member Posts: 366

This is a terrible idea, reason why I love this game so much is the random map selection, if Killers could choose the map they wanted then we would see more of one map and barely one of another. Reasons why I stopped playing other games where everyone could vote a map they want, it will just be another thing that would become Meta and break the game even more. The Enity is the one that chooses the realm and map it wants and since most killers are just pawns to the entity, it would make no sense lore wise that they would be able to choose.

• BloodyNightsBloodyNights Member Posts: 526

I certainly wouldn't want the killer to be able to just pick. You bet your ass if I'm playing Myers and I see Lery's and The Game pop up, especially the game I'm putting on scratched mirror. And am going to have a field day coming out of no where to slap survivors in da face.

There are maps that I hate as survivor, and maps I love. As survivor I'd always want to go to the Crotus Penn Asylum with the big circular building in the middle. It's balanced landing, loop heaven to me. I'd always want to avoid The Game or Lery's. Or that what is it Macmillian Estate? With the giant tree in the middle of it that seems to have no pallets around?

Let it be random, also survivors rarely put on map offerings, and even less put on multiple of the same offerings to attempt to go to a certain map. Killers also get more bloodpoints on average than survivors, so as long as you are using those blood points on the killer, they will have more chances at getting map offerings to begin with.

As for picking the killers dedicated map. It doesn't work on certain killers like Leatherface, and Ghostface. Also certain killers got butt maps. Not a fan of playing Haddonfield with Myers at all.

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 12,970

Then only hillbillies would pick cornfield maps

And you forgot that "The Game" is the map with like the best totem spawns in DbD. Additionally it's the smallest map in the game. Safe Pallets? Go with Brutal Strength or a viable killer and you 4k nearly every time on that map.

edited September 2019

Actually Springwood has taken the crown of “best totem placement”. Lery’s is also good. Also why does it matter about totem placement when good survivors are gonna not care about Ruin and mow through the gens and spread out? Totem placement doesn’t mean jack when the map is total garbage.

A “viable killer”. Who? Nurse? Spirit? Those are the only two killers that can deal with those pallets and even Spirit HAS to break a majority of them. They are “safe pallets” for a reason. There is literally four extremely safe pallets in one area. The room above the bathroom and the hallway beside the bathroom. The map is not killer friendly when you bore yourself by breaking 18 pallets all round.

Yeah...I guess I’ll bring in Brutal Strength for the off chance I get The Game map. Not a very smart idea.

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,511

Did you really just try the 4:1 argument because they're proving your points to be invalid? That's a....pretty bad defense to go for...

• BOGUEINATORBOGUEINATOR Member Posts: 4

No.

Then you'll just have people mastering the one map type and only playing that over and over. Take the quote from Bear Grylls; "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

If you don't like playing Treatment Theatre with Billy, then learn to play better on it and improve as a killer thinking outside the box. I've seen plenty who have done this. It won't come straight away and might not be easy but if you practice enough, you'll be grand.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member Posts: 14,112

The devs want the game balanced, not for one side to be op.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,656

welp, guess Haddonfield would pretty much die with that change.

i dont see anyone actually picking this map xD

Springwood is much bigger than the game. Totem spots are kinda ok. Lery's got equally good totem spots, but is way bigger too and got a huge vault problem.

You are right about the safe pallets, but when the gen in the room of the game is completed, one becomes unsafe. I see like ~50% of the pallets on "The Game" are mindgameable for all killers. On most maps it's around 30%. Additionally, the map is the smallest Map in the Game. Even when "Mother's Dwelling" would've got 90% mindgameable pallets, it's still a ######### map, because it's huge. With killers without mobility aka all unviable killers, the map is pretty nice

• ProtokonProtokon Member Posts: 12

The big hole in your plan, is that if killers don't see a map they want in the selection, they will simply dodge the lobby.

The current system in place of killers/survivors influencing map selection with offerings, is probably for the best. Not every killer should be 100% efficient on every map.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,278
    edited September 2019

@Gibberish Again... Why is the killer doing the picking? I did read your suggestion... but my question is why does the killer get to decide where we go?

Not every single map benefits survivors either, so by having the killer decide where we go makes it unfair.

• beatddbbeatddb Member Posts: 565

I think that the survivors being able to select the map is strong af, specially with realms like Haddonfield, Lery's, etc.

In my opinion, the solution to this would be:

• removing green map offerings (Tremendous increase).
    • making killers able to use the brown (Slightly increase) and yellow (Considerable increase) map offerings.
    • making survivors only able to use brown map offerings.

In my +1.2k hours, I've only seen ONCE someone using a green offering and not getting the map they picked.

If done what I said above, survivors could still have impact on the map they want to play, but not as strong as before. And the killer, being only one, can use the better offering.

• PandiferPandifer Member Posts: 37

Am I the only one that ever had a hated map that I disliked so much that I learned it well? Then, well, don't even care anymore. Confront the maps you fear. They are not that bad. Neither side should choose the map.

• KilmeranKilmeran Member Posts: 3,140
    edited September 2019

@joker7997 Lobby dodging is not going to be stopped. Hell, I dodged certain maps in Overwatch.

I used to get Nepal a lot in Overwatch. Got sick of it, so dodged on the hero select screen where there is zero penalty for doing so in Quick Play. Ditto for Hanamura.

Sometimes, if I went Support and my teammates went 5-DPS heroes in hero select, I dodged.

If the goal is to stop lobby dodging, forget it. It isn't a goal that can be accomplished. One way or another, for one reason or another, people will dodge.

Otherwise, soft-throwing the match is easy. As survivor, just "make a mistake" and get downed and then suicide on the first hook. As killer, just apply zero pressure and let the five gens pop. Throw, let the match end, move on to the next match.

Players will always find a way out of a match, team-up, or map, that they don't want to play.

• LordGlintLordGlint Member Posts: 6,586

This isnt quite true. The map with JUST corn you were mentioning is called Rotten fields, and was actually my FAVORITE map to play in as Old Freddy. Before his rework hit live, I actually burnt all my coldwind offerings, just so I could play on Rotten fields. Got myself a nice screenshot of getting a 4k in under 2 minutes (resulting in a black pip, lol).

Many of the larger maps just requires abit of smarter play on the killer's part. Temple of Purgation for example is HUGE, but the actual temple area is VERY unsafe for survivors and killer friendly. The gens next to and behind the temple have very little in the way of pallets, while the temple's gen is SUPER unsafe since it ONLY has super unsafe pallets around it. This map became my favorite to play as when using Myers, who once again... doesnt have mobility options.

• prayer_survivorprayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

"...Survivors shouldnt get a say in map picking anyways. Killer's are the Entity's chosen and the maps are the Entity's realm..."

Then let Entity play with killers

• prayer_survivorprayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

".... and removing map RNG would be a big benefit for the game and would get me back into playing Killer....". Yes, and get survivors to play other games.

• toxicmeggtoxicmegg Member Posts: 662

no. but maybe show like 3 random maps at the start of every match so all 5 players can vote one out of them? tbh that's not even necessary, but it would be nice for both sides.

This discussion has been closed.