The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Ghost healing Skillchecks

HuntressIsMyFavXDHuntressIsMyFavXD Member Posts: 72
edited September 6 in Technical Issues

So I was doing kyf and fixing a good ol generator, all was well but when I went to heal my friend it made the Skillcheck warning noise but the Skillcheck did not appear but it behaved as if I failed, causing regression, noise etc. I was forced to restart DBD. Why is this?

EDIT: The generator Skillchecks still showed

Post edited by HuntressIsMyFavXD on
Tagged:

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 281

No idea. See if it happens again. If so, post in here with a log. Possibility it could just be lag from the host.

If it's on PS4, then there's a good chance it's lag between you and the host. I believe skill checks are typically client side, but I've had that happen on the PC when I've had bad ping.

• HuntressIsMyFavXDHuntressIsMyFavXD Member Posts: 72

@KhaineGB

But wouldn't the gen Skillchecks not show if lagg was to blame?

In theory, yes... but gens are a static item whereas healing another player isn't. That requires going through the host (the killer) to sync up with your system.

"but gens are a static item whereas healing another player isn't" please explain what you mean

A generator is just an item in the level. Once it's spawned and the map is loaded, the data is sent to your console. Lockers, chests and hooks also work this way. :)

It never moves. It's just always there.

However, players and killers run around the level, so the information of where they are is being constantly sent to the killers system, which is then sent to the other players. :)

If lagg was to blame, wouldn't I be time machining/rubber banding? Lagg is generalized so it targets everything that relies on the connection being good. And also, how does location fit into this? I mean, if it was lagg, the Skillcheck should still show just be jittery asf

• AetherBytesAetherBytes Member Posts: 899

Why is it that on gens and stuff the pin in a skillcheck lags tho?

That I'm not sure. My educated guess would be that it still needs to communicate to the host (killer) due to perks like Ruin that can affect gen progress/skill check size/etc.

Healing a player is almost the same as doing a gen except gens locations are static and preloaded whereas healing isn't. Where location fits in idk, they should just be the same. I wasn't time machining so maybe a technical issue but that doesn't make sense because it should've affected gens as well, maybe a small issue loading but idk

It's because the game needs to send you info of where the player is, whereas it doesn't need to do that for gens/hooks when the map is actually setup because they never move. :)

That's why it's not exactly the same. It's constantly sending you updated player location info.

But Skillchecks aren't location based, so I mean, it doesn't make sense to me

You're playing an online-required game. EVERYTHING is data and packets. Everything needs to be synced. Generators? They need to know if the killer has a perk to mess with the skill checks (and yes, it has to check for that fairly consistently or you'd have cases were Ruin gets taken out but you still have the effect), it needs to know where players are for healing, it needs to know if anything is effecting a sabotage attempt, etc.

That's why I said it's constantly sending updated player info, even for a healing skillcheck, because it needs to know if either player has attempted to move and break it or not.

So the info transfer was garbled and somehow made the game break whenever a Skillcheck happened for healing as if the survivor broke the heal whenever a Skillcheck occurrd

More likely the game registered you started the skill check action, sends that info to the host, who then responds with a packet to trigger the skill check and you're receiving it too late.

Used to happen to me a LOT before we got the ping indicator on lobbies.