Welcome to the Dead by Daylight forums! Please take a moment to read through the forum rules before posting: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why can we see player ranks/prestige in lobbies?

RydogRydog Member Posts: 1,580

What's the upside to this change? It seems like this is probably just gonna result in more lobby dodging.

Comments

• Dwight_FairfieldDwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 2,495

The killer can't see it. Just your fellow survivors.

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 1,580

Yes, but I think even that is irrelevant information, that will serve no other purpose than to compel lobby-dodging. What's the upside to it?

• MushwinMushwin Member Posts: 2,976

Sadly it has brought forth lobby doging, survs are doing so as they don't wish to play with some higher or lower ranks.

• MushwinMushwin Member Posts: 2,976

Maybe we should all be a default, can't see the survs at all, maybe a question mark over their head as to say who is it? what will they bring in? maybe you can just see yourself and that's it o.O

• You_Got_BehaviouredYou_Got_Behavioured Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2019

@Rydog It is great that I can see ranks because I'm not going to play with two rank 16's as a rank 6. I want to have a good game and I assume I will with higher ranked survivors.

This is not relevant information. It is an accomplishment in a video game, which doesn't matter. This is some e-peen stuff, unimportant.

It's just weird that they added this change, because the only player action/question it could possibly prompt is "Do I want to play with someone of this rank, or not?" I'm wondering what the logic is on the developer's side that led to it.

This is what I'm talking about though, it cannot result in anything except lobby-dodging. I don't think that's a healthy change, and I am struggling to see the upside from a broad, non-selfish perspective.

• MookywolfMookywolf Member Posts: 676
  • JimsalabimJimsalabim Member Posts: 641

its because they have one place for both solo and swf lobby and they just kept the ranks that were already seen in the swf section. it's basiclly lazy to not change it

Based on the last couple of responses, all I can think of is that this is some weird attempt at encouraging player self-selection, instead of fixing the matchmaking itself and ensuring that players cannot be grouped with wildly different ranks.

• @Rydog Its good because I don't have to DC 5 minutes or so into the game when the rank 16 gets downed in 5 seconds. I can see who I will be playing with and if I don't like them,I can leave instead of losing more time.

Like I said, I am trying to understand the non-selfish reasoning that I optimistically assume prompted the devs to make this change.

• @Rydog Do you not understand what I have said? It saves me and others time and allows me to choose people based off of rank.

Yes, you're rewording the thing that I described as a problem in my original post, which is increased likelihood of lobby-dodging. You also seem to not understand that I am wondering and asking what the broader thinking behind this change is, from the developers' perspective, about why it is a good idea, because it seems like it would not result in anything but more lobby-dodging -- which is unhealthy for the game as a whole.

What you are describing here is your individual, selfish reasoning for why it is a good change, which is not helpful to understanding the bigger picture. I am not trying to insult you, or even to push back because I DO understand your logic. I'm just curious what the big-picture upside is in the developers' mind, because "more people dodging lobbies" is not a positive result for anyone working on the game.

• AvocetAvocet Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2019

What Jimsalabim said basically. They just overwrote solo lobby with SWF lobby.

While it's ok for other survivors to see your rank in SWF, it's absolutely unnecessary information in random lobbies. First of all, rank doesn't directly translate into being a skilled survivor. In addition to that not all survivors need to be the same rank. It seems to me the matchmaking system is trying to put together a mixed but balanced survivor group sometimes to match the killer rank when there aren't enough people of the same rank in the queue. No lobby dodging necessary.

• @Rydog Lobby dodging happens with killers vs survivors. So now it has increased but how is this unhealthy? Should higher ranked survivors be forced to play with noobs? Im pretty sure the devs implemented this feature for other survivors to see each others ranks. SO you guess what I can do with this info. Thats right, judge others based off of rank. Thats the broad, non-selfish answer. What other answer do you expect?

• MookywolfMookywolf Member Posts: 676

ehhh i still feel the devs should be the one making sure people play with their own ranks, not the players themselves. besides this only helps one part of the problem, the survivors. killers can still get screwed over or screw over the survivors.

• @Mookywolf I agree that the devs should by fixing the ranking system but either way, survivors should be getting matched with others with the same or close to the same rank.

I don't expect anything, because this is the only outcome I can think of. But wild-west player self-selection is not the answer, if they are doing this because they believe their matchmaking system is broken enough to justify (and tacitly sanction) an uptick in lobby-dodging. If that's the case, they should implement rank restrictions when queuing.

The only other explanation, as @Jimsalabim and @Avocet mentioned, is that they blindly overwrote their survivor lobby system without considering any of the knock-on effects. I don't want to believe that the developers would be this negligent and regressive with their already-bad UX, but that sadly makes sense, too.

• @Rydog Possibly but I really don't think that the devs would blindly implement this.

• LirulinielLiruliniel Member Posts: 2,454

I wouldn't mind if it showed your prestige level, but rank and character level is a bad idea it will promote lobby dodging.

• @Liruliniel That too will promote lobby dodging

• DocOctoberDocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

I think it's more likely a side-effect of the new combined lobbies, since you did get to see your SWF buddies' ranks and levels in the SWF lobby.

As with the Switch to Killer button having to be disabled for the moment to prevent switching to Killer, then playing with your SWF buddies and randoms while you are the Killer, they decided to release a new feature before tidying everything up.

• Angelicus23Angelicus23 Member Posts: 959

This is awesome and now I can see how my mates really are. I want this to stay

• GardeniaGardenia Member Posts: 1,059

I actually like this, mind you as a rank six the matchmaking is so bad it put me into a lobby with rank 14's this is why I want it to stay. At least until the matchmaking is polished up a bit more.

• ArrowTheGreat11ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306

Good. Now I’ll know if I have to carry my team or if we’ll all play competent

• PrincessPoopPrincessPoop Member Posts: 778

I say give the survivors even more info. Take a page from the mobile version and show what perks and items/addons everyone is bringing. Anything to help close the solo and swf gap.

• Atrushan88Atrushan88 Member Posts: 1,794
    edited September 2019

I wouldn't call this selfish. Honestly you're saving everyone time if you lobby dodge a group of rank 16s and rank 20s as a much higher rank. Those rank 16s and 20s will likely be against a killer of your rank, and thus not get to play the game decently. The killer will feel like they're facing potatoes, and you will likely have a game where you either have to get hatch or die by the entity/killer. If I was a lower rank, I wouldn't wanna be in a game with higher ranks either. This imo only helps to create more quality matches, and I have to say I have gotten more quality matches lately.