Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.0.0 PTB is now available on Steam! For patch notes, instruction and more details, click here.

Am I the only one who thinks this battle pass is a slap in the face?

You have to pay an entry fee and the chapters really add up. I bought all the DLC on PS4 and bought it all again on PC later. That is quite a bit of money. I have also bought some cosmetics. New chapters and expensive cosmetics are still incoming. Fine.

But then you hit me with a battle pass? Absolutely insulting. This is a free to play mechanic in a very expensive game. So, what appears to be a significant investment in this game is certainly not enough.

Comments

• Tucking_FriggeredTucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636

Oh they slapped you in the face alright. The question is with what?

• Slaughterhouse3Slaughterhouse3 Member Posts: 351

We can still do the BP missions for free....calm down.

• ProfessorDunwichProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 788

Well, well. I suppose my question has been answered. Free to play mechanics in a paid game are okay. Carry on.

• rch614rch614 Member Posts: 488

There isn't really a difference between the battle pass and buying the cosmetics outright. They said any cosmetics you get from the Rift will become available in the store later on. Plus, the Auric cells you pay to unlock the premium track will be returned to you eventually anyway.

It isn't a bad system and if you don't like it, don't buy it. You're spending $10 on the pass and then getting those Auric cells back for whatever else you want.

• StupidPalletsStupidPallets Member Posts: 395

ProfessorDunwhich, you are right. Something must be done about this. You must do something about this. ♪♫♪ Nightmare On Elm Street music plays ♪♫♪

• rch614rch614 Member Posts: 488

I see the "danger" but in the end it is all on the customer on what they want to buy. Their current iteration of the battle pass is fair and one heck of a deal and as of right now they aren't giving us a reason to distrust them like so many other companies that run battlepasses do.

If they prove us otherwise, people will speak up. But until then I trust them.

• XbonedXboned Member Posts: 461

I'm already quite annoyed with all the unplayable killers I bought because I haven't had time to level them all, lol. The last thing this game needs is another grind, imhfo.

But people seem jazzed about it, even if I have no idea why, so more power to them.

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

They give you more BP in the Rift even on the free side. So this will help your grind!

• yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 1,063

Just to be clear, and I’m genuinely curious, is it possible to “beat the system”?

• 1,000 auric cells for premium pass.
    • earn 1,000 cells during play period.
    • spend those same cells again to go premium for the next period.
    • rinse and repeat.

Do we think the “free” version will ever reward Auric cells so that it’s possible to save up and go “premium” without actually paying?

If you don’t spend your newly earned cells while playing premium, do you still earn your premium cosmetics and such?

(For the record, I’ve never done battle passes of any type before, so this is a very new mechanic for me as you can likely tell.)

• FreakPrinceFreakPrince Member Posts: 177

“I have also bought some cosmetics”, so what’s the difference between that and paying a fee that’s gonna return to you once you complete the challenges?

Geez, y’all so dramatic

• HorusHorus Member Posts: 850

Free track is terrible

edited October 2019

Yes, you can. For most battle passes it will probably take you several hours a day to achieve this though. A much more significant investment than most players will make. It is like a buffet. They are betting most will not eat more than they pay.

• MikeadatrixMikeadatrix Member Posts: 669

BHVR is good on their word. I don't intend to sound like a corporate shill. Horse Armor was my time too so I'm well aware of how awful predatory DLCs can be but the the Rift seems fair to me and I'll roll with it until proven otherwise.

• MikeadatrixMikeadatrix Member Posts: 669

Yeah but you're given 70 days to eat at this buffet and the food stays fresh for the entire duration. Sure, tryhard players will blow through it in a day or two but casual to average players shouldn't be facing a lot of work if they play for a few hours on the weekend.

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 1,669

Do you remember shards? There were outfits completely free as a reward for playing the game but somehow i dont know less and less...

Tell me what is cheaper than free skins? Tell me when you spend 10$ on AC how much money did you save? Exactly you spent 10$ and saved nothing. AC is worth 0.

The skins don't look that great tbh.

@ProfessorDunwich

I feel sorry for you. You make a valid complaint and people respond like you insulted them personally and instead of making valid points they make snappy comments.

• SairekSairek Member Posts: 4,627

Yeah, I remember shards. The currency which you can only buy some cosmetics with. Not all of them.

I didn't state you get them for free. I said you can spend 1,000 auric cells, and you can get all 1,000 of those auric cells back.

If the skins don't look great to you, don't buy them? Just like you wouldn't buy an outfit in the store if you didn't like those ones. I don't see the issue here.

I understand OP's concerns, but at the end of the day, BHVR is a company. Their objective is to make money. Nobody is to blame for essentially buying the game and the DLC twice but themselves. At worst, players who don't want to buy into the battle pass still can get free goodies and still buy the cosmetics to the store. Those who want extra can pay the initial investment for it.

Ultimately, anyone who wants to protest should vote with their wallets and/or not play the game.

• JohnbleJohnble Member Posts: 165

Didn't even think of that.

To help prove your point, Red Dead Online has a "battle pass" now. Now DBD is getting one. It's pretty bizarre how comfortable people are with this but at the same time people constantly complain about loot boxes. As long as it stays optional, I don't see the problem but we all know they'll do their best to make it feel like the battle pass has to be purchased by putting the best cosmetics behind it like every other game, I'm sure. Now, if I can unlock killers or survivors I don't have with it, that would be cool.

• IhatelifeIhatelife Member Posts: 4,121

It's not that bad. 1000 auric cells is not that a lot...

Thanks. The insults are not a big deal.

What really bothers me is seeing my favorite hobby increasingly infested with monetization at every turn while gamers cheer it on.

• MiniPixelsMiniPixels Member Posts: 294

Originally I would have somewhat agreed with you, it is somewhat a slap in the face on top of all of the DLC, and cosmetics already in game, but what you have to understand is that if you complete the pass you earn 100% of your money back, IN ADDITION to the cosmetics you get, and even if you don't finish it all the way you are at least getting a decent amount of your money back.