Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Attention Steam and EGS players: a quick hotfix will be going live today at 11AM ET to address file validation reliability. Thank you for your understanding!

Am I the only one who thinks this battle pass is a slap in the face?

Comments

• MookywolfMookywolf Member Posts: 907

not to mention, when you actually buy the 10$ auric cell pass, you get 1,100 cells, so theres even a little wiggle room.

• csandman1977csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,221

I see nothing wrong with a company trying to make some extra money. Especially with the way this battle pass system is being set up. It is completely optional rewards you for playing whether or not you buy in. You have the option of waiting until you complete it before buying it. And everything in it will be available after 6 months anyway.

• Huntress4LifeHuntress4Life Member Posts: 48

Tbh the battle pass is a curse and a blessing for everyone since there's people who want the cosmetics and stuff but don't have enough for all of it, then the people who have all the cosmetics and think it's worthless

• GuiltronGuiltron Member Posts: 147

Worst case scenario we would've gotten loot boxes. For me the battle pass is simply well... a pass for cosmetics and rewards alike. Also you're not forced to buy it, since you can do the free track too.

• GrimbergothGrimbergoth Member Posts: 293

First , if you add up all the killer/survivor dlc's with the cost of the base game and without discounts , you are still less then most games and one expansion . it doesn't even total $110 . People want to cry the dlc is 113.82 but they forget that 24 or 25 of that is purely cosmetic and has 0 gameplay value .

Secondly , this game does not require a subscription , thus it has to generate revenue from someplace or it goes under . So for the people who are buying cosmetics , dlc's , and rift passes , they are supporting the game that it seems like most would rather get everything for free and the game die from it .

You all want balance , you want updates , you want support , you want dedicated servers . But when it comes to the cost of these things , you Want to Cry .

Lastly , if you dont want to spend any more to support the game you think is so great as long as they constantly give you free stuff , then dont support it . No one is forcing anything on you . But I would like to thank those who have supported it for those too selfish to see that the game needs money to continue and just because they have a item for sale it doesn't mean it sells .

So thank you to the supporters ...

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I have to point out if you buy it with auric cells you can earn them back, making the cost effectively zero if you actually complete the content.

people only look at the here and now , not the past or future of their arguments . All day I have seen post after post complaining about this one $10 charge , and the fact that IF you paid full price for every dlc that has a perk attached to it as well as the base game they may have spent $110 already (but what people love to leave out is over how long of a period of time is this) . So everyone is up in arms of a non discounted price of less then $110 for what 3 years of content and the addition of a $10 charge that no one is forced to buy that they can actually earn the cells back . Sounding more and more petty and selfish the more I think about it ….

• PrincessPoopPrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Honestly I really do not understand the hatred for the battlepass... you can pretend like it doesn’t exist and you will not be effected at all. Plus it’s only $10 which is what the price for a single cosmetic is... you will actually be getting more cosmetics for a cheaper price with the battlepass system than you can get with the skins that release to the store.

• AvocetAvocet Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2019

People are missing the opportunity cost of completing the Rift / battle pass. They see the Premium costs only $10 (1000 auric cells) and get excited. But BHVR themselves have said the rewards from Free and Premium tracks are worth over 20 000 auric cells, i.e. $200.

The battle pass is supposed to be a monetization system, right? How does it make sense for BHVR to charge us only $10 (which you can earn back) and yet provide as $200 of value? The missing commodity here is time. To BHVR our time to complete the battle pass is worth $190 per person, more if we consider they're supposed to make a profit off it.

Yet people put absolutely no value on their time when they say the battle pass is free or only $10. They're only thinking about the money leaving their account.

• BreadPieceBreadPiece Member Posts: 3

It's not about being mad because the game is getting more money, it's about all the money we already have to pay with things in general in-game like dlc's, cosmetics, etc if we want them, which ends up being frustating and unfair for the player base and I say that in general, and not speaking on my opinion about it.

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

If you don't like it, then don't do it! Don't know what to tell you friend!

• BreadPieceBreadPiece Member Posts: 3

Humm I never said i didn't like it. I just said people's opinion in general about the price for the rift/battle pass, I never mentioned I didn't like, all I was saying was that nobody is mad because the game is making money and disagreeing with you, and the people are "mad" or can't really afford all these new things the game is bringing for us. What I mean is, It's not a complaint, it's an opinion.

• KerbertKerbert Member Posts: 415

Dbd should be free to play at this point.

• Mr_GoodmanMr_Goodman Member Posts: 61

I hate the battlepass, but I'm not gonna make a post just to say I dislike it. I will just deal with the free one, don't really care too much for the cosmetics.

• SkeletalEliteSkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,008

Not only is it purely cosmetic but completeing the pass rewards you with auric cells equal to the buy in so as long as youre actually playing the game regularly you only have to pay once

• CaptainCaptain Member Posts: 39

Yo they give us free updates and free maps. Stop crying

• DevourOfSaltDevourOfSalt Member Posts: 254

@ProfessorDunwich

The amount of ass kissing comments here just ignore them lol

but yh battle pass should never be in game if this was free to play absolutely fine but since its not its unacceptable. And just plan greedy oh dont buy alot will say but its not the point battle passes should not be in a paid game period doesn't matter if i buy it or not

• 1saltypug1saltypug Member Posts: 117

Me like many have all the dlcs up till now over the 3 years. Unless the game is constantly bringing in new players they aren't making any money at all after the purchases of the dlc. (which has been heavily discounted multiple times already). The battle pass is completely optional I mean would it make everyone happier if we never got anything but dlc killers to buy where you feel like you have to for the good perks?

This is a step in the right direction where I dont feel like I "have" to buy something to feel competitive with everyone else. I mean if you can't buy the 10$ battle pass then you obviously don't spend the 10$ per cosmetic outfit so it shouldn't really matter either way.

• KilmeranKilmeran Member Posts: 3,116
    edited October 2019

@DevourOfSalt @ProfessorDunwich I would expect them to continue to find new ways to monetize DbD now that they are firmly in financial bed with Netease:

It is what it is. More and more game developers are getting into bed with Chinese investment, either through Tencent buying a portion of them out, or Netease doing so. And it keeps resulting in the same end game: microtransactions and monetization to double, triple, or quadruple dip into your wallet.

You either accept it, or try to find a game developer that isn't in bed with them . . . yet.

• SporkSpork Member Posts: 122
    edited October 2019

It's not just you, I feel the same way. They try their best to point out how dedicated their players are, say they want to reward us for spending time in the game, but when it comes to a quests mechanic they throw in a Battlepass, putting all the valuable/interesting things behind a paywall. Yes, it's 10$, I have spent a lot of money on the game already though, and asking for more is the slap in the face. I get you can make the Auric cells back but it's not the point. A Battlepass didn't need to find its way to Dead by daylight, and these new cosmetics could have been integrated normally with the store we already have. If we needed to pay? Fine, I'd rather the individual items be put in the store rather all of them behind 1000 Auric Cells. YES, It's worth it, that's the POINT. They WANT you to buy it, that's why they locked it all up behind the currency. I don't understand why the people who support this are getting so worked up with backlash about it, micro transactions have always been something people disliked, and we don't need to be enabling it. I was looking forward to doing quests for cosmetics that I actually wanted, not paying for them.

Here is a simple answer for you , not everything sells . Why do companies make newer models , they constantly improve things to sell more to consumers and what happens to the older models they get discounted and eventually stop selling . This is where the system comes into play , throw in say a nurse set on the premium that players will like and fill the gaps in the free and premium with things that are not doing so well or just not selling . Then your market value goes up for free and they are not loosing any profits .

For those who still dont follow or haven't much of a clue about marketing . If you see a add for a game system in a add for $500 , it comes with $400 worth of used games and the used system is worth 250 . why are they loosing money , because if they sell the system without the games and the games are older titles or not very popular ones they may never sell them , but as a package it looks like a great deal to the buyer .

• SporkSpork Member Posts: 122

Yes... That's literally the point. Baiting players into buying more things by putting all the desirable items behind the pay wall is a HUGE slap in the face. It's a tacky tactic used by FORTNITE, APEX LEGENDS. DO THESE FREE TO PLAY GAMES AT ALL RELATE WITH DEAD BY DAYLIGHT? No. I hope you understand where those of us who dislike this battlepass are coming from. I don't care that it's 10$, or that you can earn the Auric cells back, it's just the fact that they put ALL of the good stuff behind a pay wall.

• Swiftblade131Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,026
    edited October 2019

Battle Passes

I like them about as much as I like monthly subscriptions to play online

• KabuKabu Member Posts: 926

Very very well said. This is the most fair battle pass mechanic I've seen and you can take your time completing it.

• BunnyTheHuttBunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

This, Plus peantis has already said that all the lore and challenges will always be free for everyone, so you don't even loose out on that. I was upset at the battle pass as well, but since it's purely cosmetics, most which will be available anyways, there is really no need too be mad about it. If you don't want it, then fine, just don't buy it and enjoy the fun challenges.

• HellCatJaneHellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    edited October 2019

Editing this due to no longer have the same views.

I now think it's a slap in the face.

Post edited by HellCatJane on
  • ShirokuroShirokuro Member Posts: 182

I was originally pretty sceptical about the idea of 'battle pass' but after getting on the PTB and seeing how much cool cosmetics it has and how you can get the auric cells you spent back, I really like how it's implemented.

• CallMeBaconCallMeBacon Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2019

To answer your question, it's unlikely that you are the only person who feels "slapped" by the Rift. However I would feel confident saying you are within a small group of overall Dead By Daylight players.

I for one, find the Rift (and Archives) a nice and simple addition to the game for veteran players that have everything unlocked and can now look forward to putting their time and effort towards something more than just endlessly grinding out add-ons and offerings.

As for the terrible monetization scheme you fear will over take the paid game market because of Dead By Daylight's design choice, I'd like to say I'd feel much better seeing this sorta system be used in other games than any other system, or even no system at all. It's quite nice that you can pay for the first ever battle pass and then never have to pay again as long as you correctly manage your Auric cells gained from the completion of every rift every mid chapter patch. The way the Devs handled this is fair and rewarding for the player base. You get more back then you pay for.

Also, just to be a bore and repeat everyone else, the premium track rift is completely optional. You are not forced to pay it in any way.

• Ramxenoc445Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,359

Not at all a problem. I'm just like you went from having all dlc till stranger things on ps4 went to pc and bought them all again alone with all the kate cosmetics and one for huntress. Still a few I need to get again but battlepass is fine. Its not something you need and if you buy it and complete it you basically get a refund and can buy it again free. So it isn't at all and issue.