Home PTB Feedback Archives 3.3.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Opinion on the nurse changes (Legacy 3 killer/survivor)

NilsNils Member Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in 3.3.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Hello survivors and killers, hello developers.

In the following I would like to give feedback to the nurse changes and reflect my opinion.

To me (https://steamcommunity.com/id/p3rryp0tter):

I am a legacy 3 prestige nurse and a legacy 3 prestige Claudette, which means that I had both on prestige 3 before November 24, 2016 (with this I DO NOT want to say that I am more skilled than other players). With my 1000+ hours in this game I have played both rank 1 survivor and rank 1 killer. I have artworks of my time as a killer as well as a survivor on my profile. Both sides are a lot of fun for me.

My survivor playing style:

I play rather offensively and try to get as much time as possible out for fixing the generators. I use flashlights, have myself followed by the killer and help teammates. Normally I would rather die myself than let someone else die, simply because I have enough bloodpoints in the meantime. I must honestly say I found the games against a nurse mostly fair and balanced.

My killer (mostly nurse without addons) playing style:

I start a chase as fast as possible, hang survivors relatively fast and then teleport myself as far away from the hook as possible (thanks to BBQ). I do not tunnel, do not camp and try to play fair. If someone has disconnected the connection I always give the survivors several chances or leave them the trapdoor. Generally I prefer a fun round where the survivors have fun too (feel free to check the comments on my profile).

About balance in this game:

Survivors often say that the game is killersided. Killers say it is survivorsided. A real balance is hard to achieve because of the different ranks and "survive with friends". On rank 1 I had my 4ks as a killer as well as my 4 man escapes as a survivor. I think the developers are on a very good way compared to 3 years ago. I will not go into balance in detail in the following.

Now to the nurse changes:

When the nurse came out with her 3 (!) teleports I played her a lot. It took a while to get used to this new kind of killer, but it felt very rewarding. 

After some time she was changed to 2 teleports and again I needed some time to get used to it. On rank 1 this was especially noticeable, because survivors much more often pretend to run in one direction and then change to the other. Without the third teleport you could not correct so much if you were porting in the wrong direction. Nevertheless the changes were justified and definitely necessary.

Now the nurse is changed again and I could not believe what I read in the patch notes. I immediately downloaded the PTB and played there, as usual: Without addons. As a very experienced nurse player I was seriously desperate and sad at the same time. I could not time my teleports anymore because they were still on decay time. I did not dare to teleport anymore because it did not feel rewarding anymore, rather punishing.

I played more rounds and got a little used to the changes. First of all, the nurse is not "destroyed" or weak. However, I do not think these explicit changes are good, so I will explain why.

Things I want to criticize:

• You hear a "bling" after teleporting (which I often do as a nurse) every time a teleport is available again. This is no longer relaxing but stressful and annoying.
  • It feels punishing to use the teleport because you can not use it after using it twice for (I think) 6 seconds. Before the changes I liked to use it to pretend to go somewhere and then teleport somewhere else. These mindgames are no longer possible after the changes.

Things I think are good:

• I never used addons on the Nurse because I learned how the normal teleports work with their properties. The new addons are more promising in this.
  • As a survivor, I hated playing against nurses with multiple teleports (2+). This also changes with the changes.

What I wish/would have wished for:

If you use the addons, which reduce the cooldown of the teleports, you get pretty much the same result as before. If the changes were implemented in this way, I would probably rely on these addons forever, since I have enough of them anyways. 

I do not think the basic ability should have been changed, but just the addons instead. No addons should influence the number of teleports. Instead the distance or the charge time. Maybe auras that become visible.

Generally, I am grateful that the developers are trying to balance the game. Most of the time I do share the same opinion regarding the changes. But not this time. It is just my own experience and opinion. It does not have to be right.

Post edited by Nils on

Comments

• arslaNarslaN Member Posts: 1,935

I think the recharge shouldn't stop while she's charging the blinks but other than that, it's a great change

• cetruzzocetruzzo Member Posts: 323

Thanks for your insight, even more because it's not another complain thread but a structured opinion

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,788

It feels a bit too sluggish at base kit to recharge blinks. I'd make it 2.5 seconds per blink instead of 3 basekit (and thus 1.25 per blink with both addons letting it ACTUALLY be like old Nurse with both of them)

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 921

The add on that increases speed after a successful hit seems legit combined with blink cooldown. Just have to say nurse is 1 of 3 killers that requires alot of patience practice and skill. Now it requires you to unlearn some of the skill and that's why alot of Ppl are pretty heated.

• LucamaLucama Member Posts: 461

I think a change people are also overlooking is the window of time survivors now have between seeing where the nurse will appear, and her actually being there.

Anyone who's played competitive games knows that even a split second of extra time to react can make a huge difference, and the survivors knowing where a nurse is before she appears is enough time to force a miss from the killer. This won't always be the case, and it won't always be used by survivors optimally, but most competent survivors will get far too much from this seemingly small change.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

If all the other changes were to be discarded and this one kept, I would be just as happy if not happier. The only downside is on The Nurse's side, where the sounds and visuals are slightly off from what they should be.

• UxoricideUxoricide Member Posts: 219

I agree with everything you wrote, what saddens me the most is that mind games disappear with the changes they want to bring :(

• copperslycoppersly Member Posts: 2,253
    edited October 2019

Be more specific and detailed so they can understand why we don't like it. If you were like me, that is because she feels clunky and her flow of travel and chase as been completely abandoned. Now you feel like saving blinks instead of using them is a better option because trying to double blink to someone but there was 0.5 seconds left on the 2nd blink is a double waste of time and often leads to extra long and punishing chases.

She has lost mind games because of the limitation on blinks. I thought they wanted to increase them and that's why Spirit is the way she is. Blinking around and confusing them is pretty much impossible now since they'll just run in the opposite direction and have no fear of you catching up any time soon.

• HakuHaku Member Posts: 596
    edited October 2019

I think what people also overlook and forget is also that the only defense survivors have against a Nurse is to .. run/los her/. So it actually makes perfect sense to me to have time to react since you can't really do anything else but REACT to her blinks. You can't loop her, you can't pallet stun her/unless she run into it on purpose... /

• SpyMatureSpyMature Member Posts: 204

In a game where gens can be done in 3 minutes, 3.5 seconds to wait for both of your blinks to recharge after fatigue is huge, multiply that by 10, and you've already lost 35 seconds, her base kit shouldn't have been changed, only the addons that everyone agreed on being too op and frustrating to play against.

And saying this as a mostly survivor main, I'd hate if this change went through as that would mean I'd play against Spirits at high rank alot more often. I swear, I'd rather face a 5 blink Nurse than a Spirit.

• PeepingPeacockPeepingPeacock Member Posts: 354

I agree, the basekit nerfs were not done well at all and should be removed.

The addon changes are mostly okay. My only real complaint is that too many are meme addons that make your power worse, like the one that disables your ability to blink after hitting a survivor and turning you into a trap-less trapper. Addon's should add to your power, not take away from it. A single speed limiter or padded jaws is fine, but when you have more than 4 of these it gets ridiculous and makes leveling her bloodweb web very unappealing.

I can unstand having so many bad addons if Nurse kept her basekit (which she should keep) but it makes no sense for them to be as bad as they are, if Nurse's basekit also got nerf'ed.

• CrythorCrythor Member Posts: 295

The base kit should have been left alone its fine the way it is.

The addon nerfs/changes i am fine with.

• FieryauraFieryaura Member Posts: 47

As a red rank player in both side i completly agree with you.

I actually play without addons cause 5tp is borring x) no addons is damn fun

• CrowFoxyCrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,269

I agree with this! I recently made a post that was supposed to be like this but failed... :(

She needs to keep her base power, and have some other things changed.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 994

I have to agree with "meme" addons being too overused by the devs here.

So now we can get extra deviousness bloodpoints on a killer that gets them EVERY HIT.

I don't think I have ever had a game when I didn't max out my deviousness on the nurse with exception of claudette squads that rushed gens and urban evaded away.

Nurse blink cooldown feels really bad and it isn't even helping survivors in chase about which they complained a lot.

You can still quickly down survivors but other then that we have a killer without map pressure and next to no search potential if survivors want to hide and not run everywhere.

I'm not saying that's a bad change, just an overlooked one that's actually quite a big difference to how she plays. Survs now have a chance to force a miss from a nurse, something they didn't have before without mindgames.

I personally feel it's a solid change, but it's just heaping negatives onto an already harsh nerf, and it's a change that seems to be mostly overlooked when people talk about these planned changes.

• TheUnendingNightmareTheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172

Still unsure about what exactly has changed. She just has 1 teleport now ?

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 9,595
    edited October 2019

OP: "First of all, the nurse is not 'destroyed' or weak."

You: "Agreed, they unfairly destroyed her."

Base kit: She has two teleports still, but they're now on a cooldown that starts as soon as she finished teleporting, 3s per blink. Survivors now see where the Nurse will appear a little bit before she finishes her teleport.

All of her add-ons have been reworked, the range add-ons now also increase charge time, they removed the "accuracy" stat as it was useless, added a few meme ones that make her ability worse but give more bloodpoints, a few that modify the power slightly, a few that decrease the cooldown on the blinks, one that makes her a M1 killer if she hits after a blink. She has two ultra-rares, one gives her an extra blink but stops her blinking through solid objects(can still blink over vault points), the other makes her base MS 105% (4.2m/s) but gives her only one blink.

• TheUnendingNightmareTheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172

Tbh imo she always has been a T1 killer but with the potential to become a T5 killer.

To me it seems nothing has changed much tho. It was already easy to counter her teleport patern.

So I guess I'm with everyone saying she needs buffs and not nerfs but also on the side of ppl saying this won't change much has she was already pretty bad as a whole.

Well put. Putting her powerlevel down with addons and then kicking her while shes nerfed with useless addons is overkill.

• ThasardThasard Member Posts: 266

"They unfairly destroyed her" when every list I've seen has her as a top tier killer.... everyone in their right mind was anticipating this Nerf long before it was announced.

Also, I'm sorry, but this is hardly a bad nerf. I was watching a YouTuber play her and the tokens added up so quickly and even started AS SOON AS she fatigued. Maybe if he had more blinks would it have seemed like a nerf, but it rarely cost him the hit. He did have add-ons to see if they were viable and he did get a 4k.

While the original post explained they never used add-ons, that's not the point of playing killer. You shouldn't be a top tier killer without add-ons. Add-ons should be the reason you can be OP.

She was at the top of the list because running around in circles doesn't work against her. The right move was to bring other killers up to her level not lower one of the few viable killers into mediocre range.

SWF is still extremely unbalanced and now there is one less answer in red ranks. It's not fun getting bullied by survivors because the game is heavily in their favor when they're working it dry.