Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.0.0 is now available on Steam! For patch notes, instruction and more details, click here.

The Battle Pass can't be finished by casual players.

Comments

• Tucking_FriggeredTucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited October 2019

Establish for me why content should be free at all. I mean on a fundamental level it isn't free to create and it was created after you bought the base game so you were never promised anything more beyond technical support. I'm not against free content though, I just don't feel entitled to it.

As for playing well and receiving content, this is a game. There is nothing wrong with rewarding completing challenging content. I think it's self evident humans want rewards for accomplishments. On a deeper level the longer you play the more easier the queues are filled which makes all the other players happy.

Money, tasteful or not, keeps the bill paid and the lights on. People don't part with it easily and rarely if ever freely. So yes, you can pay straight up cash to bypass the challenge if its preferred. Though frankly I think you cheat yourself of the sense of the accomplishment by doing it that way.

Define casual. Is it based on time or skill? I'm definitely casual when it comes to time, I struggle to hit rank 10 anytime I play because I do not sit down and play for long periods. In terms of casual in skill I'm far from it. I understand how to run tiles, how to pressure gens, and how to generally make life difficult for my competition. If the pass is made easy enough for an absolutely skill-less casual to complete without sweating it will be a boring and pointless endeavor for the better players. It is meant to provide a challenge for those who do play a lot as they are ones sticking around for long periods growing bored.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,650

I don't actually agree with this.

While I think casual player that pay should be able to complete the pass I don't think simply grinding should enable you to get it all for free.

The cosmetics are an extra that they employ a team dedicated to work on purely for extra revenue. They are not part of the game ever needed to play.

Since cosmetics are never needed ir change gameplay no one is being forced to pay for anything. You can chose to do so or not.

Cosmetics have become the way for a company to bring in that extra revenue instead of increasing the costs of things deemed needed. Its a much better way to get revenue as it allows more players to get the actual content that can add to gameplay at a lower price.

Players can still earn some for free just by playing along with doing the challenges which reward extra bloodpoints. I personally hink that model is more than fair.

• Theoretical_HeartTheoretical_Heart Member Posts: 398

The money isn't the problem. The price is fair. It's the grind and difficulty that isn't fair. Stop ignoring the actual discussion.

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 2,511

It’s for OPTIONAL cosmetics, that you can buy later. Honestly if you pick and choose what you want you’ll pay less than the people who grind it out. Stop ignoring that discussion.

on the FREE TRACK even if you don’t complete it you still get, FOR FREE, some cosmetics and bonus blood points, FOR FREE if I forgot to mention that.

• SleepyWilloSleepyWillo Member Posts: 640

on the FREE TRACK, if i'm not mistaken, you dont get any bloodpoints? The bloodpoints are from the Tome...

edited October 2019

You already received the game you paid for. You are not entitled to free content for the rest of your life just because you made the initial purchase. If you buy a burger at Mcdonald's do you assume you are entitled to a free lunch for the rest of your life?

The battle pass is designed, as all are, to offer you some goodies for participating as a baseline and compel you to either dedicate time playing or spend cash to advance. It is 100% intended to generate income to cover the cost of dedicated servers knowing that few will be able to attain everything for free and most will spend money to avoid the challenge. Even those committed enough to attain everything for free still provide a service in filling the queues.

The question is why is that bad? Dedicated servers are not free. The money has to come from somewhere. Amazon doesn't accept IOUs or best intentions.

• Theoretical_HeartTheoretical_Heart Member Posts: 398

Not the money. Get over the money. It's the unfairness of the time and difficulty of the challenges. You are hung up on the money. Even on the free track the grind/difficulty is unchanged.

• BunnyTheHuttBunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,694

I disagree. I feel if you spend 8 hours a day, every day, for 2 weeks then you have earned the rewards, but someone who can only spend 2-3 hours a day at best shouldn't be forced too pay for cosmetics they want simply because of real life obligations.

Cosmetics may only be that, cosmetics, but that doesn't change the fact that if the battle pass is being advertised as something for both hardcore and casuals players, but it isn't working for casuals, then there is an issue. If they reduced the grind it would be a great battle pass, and I'm personally still gonna buy it, but casual players shouldn't be forced too buy tiers simply because life comes first and they can't afford the time it requires too get everything for free.

• starkiller1286starkiller1286 Member Posts: 491

I'm super casual when it comes to this game bit i probalby will buy it if i work my way to gettimg all the wraith rewards on the line. Otherwise ill just do what i can aith however much blight goo i get and buy the blight skins i like with cash

• MrsMaliciousXMrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 585

I wish everyone could get everything to be honest..I love this game..I play it everyday for hours through out the day..I just don't have the extra money to throw into the game because I do have 2 small childrens that come first..But would also like to be able to get the cool skins and the cool charms..I like battle-passes but I honestly think that everyone should be able to get everything BUT the cells..I mean I know that wouldn't make much sense then but just like on Black Ops 4..EVERYONE can get everything in that battlepass BUT if you want to use tier skips that costs actual money..and there are people that do it..I think it should be something like that..But eh Ill live without the cute charms and cute outfits lmfao..good job tho BVHR the game is looking great!

• SleepyWilloSleepyWillo Member Posts: 640

Nobody is saying that. We buy DLC (so no free lunches). All that I'm saying is that if the FREE TRACK is FREE than it should be reasonably expected to be completable in the timeframe set out. I dont have an issue with the battlepass and would have likely paid for it until I discovered that even with the amount I play the game I still am unlikely to have any hope of completing the rift without paying money to complete the tiers - even if I complete all the challenges. Its like saying everyone gets a free drink from the drinks fountain - but you have to pay every time you use the machine for the free drink!

edited October 2019

It served the game well enough when they only had to cover the cost of salaries.

Dedicated servers have injected a monthly cost into their overhead that has to be ever increased as more people play with no guarantee those new players will ever spend more than the baseline salary covering initial purchase.

I have gigabit ethernet. I never wanted, needed, or advocated for dedicated servers. Quite the opposite actually. I knew what was coming.

I support Behav10r with the battle pass in so far as I understand the need for revenue and limited ways to generate it.

• ProfessorDunwichProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 787
    edited October 2019

What is the deal with people like yourself? Why the obsession with getting things that other people cannot have?

Exclusivity in games is a pain. FOMO is used to great effect to get people to pay up before it is "gone." It is gone artificially. It is not an actual item that they only made so many of. It was removed with a few keyboard clicks and could come back the same way. Whether it is paid or earned content, it should always to available as long as the game is around.

Post edited by Inji on
  • MemberBerryMemberBerry Member Posts: 394

I genuinely stopped caring about wasting cash for DBD content that isn't characters, so I'm fine with it.

edited October 2019

I somewhat agree and definitely understand the point you are making. I think the issue is "need". If Behav10r needs $10k today to pay X, money received 2 years from now doesn't help. So the question is asked what can be done today to generate that $10k. Timed exclusives can certainly do it, distasteful as they are. I don't think Wicked is in the minority as far as humans go. I think you and I might be though. Most people want status and recognition. If everyone on earth has a PHD would a PHD have any value? Maybe a high school diploma is a better example. I can't think of a single job available to high school diplomas that aren't available to those without one. There are so common and mostly meaningless as to not warrant any extra benefit or pay. At least here in the States.

Post edited by Inji on

I’m not stuck on the money, but you are stuck on insisting people who don’t put enough time into the game don’t get everything... uhm that’s the real world.

Yea I get it, it stinks that having a job, kids, social life means you may not be able to complete it all but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

• PoochkipsPoochkips Member Posts: 174

I'm a casual player and I say, eh. Whatever. If I cant get it all it's really no different than say, fortnite...what's the difference between having 0 battle pass atm and having one that gives free stuff for playing? I say we should just not get a battle pass since people seem to dislike it that hard at this point.

• ProfessorDunwichProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 787

Only that way because people allow it. All scarcity in video games is artificial.

some people want something to work towards, want a time crunch to motivate them, who are you to say they’re wrong?

• HorusHorus Member Posts: 850

Battle pass aint for casuals in any game i believe

• Ark_the_BonsaiArk_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 862

On the same note, who are you to say that everyone else has to abide by that time crunch just because you want it. Do you see the problem here?

Your entire argument hinges on you telling someone that they can't have what they want because you want what you want.

• xZeroStrikexZeroStrike Member Posts: 125

I'm neither a BHVR employee, nor am I being paid for damage control.

I'm merely saying that The Rift isn't even implemented yet. I'm saying: be open-minded about it. Things aren't set in stone yet and this is what the PTB is for: trying things out. So, go over to the feedback forums, and post your concerns there, or bump up a post that already addresses your concerns. I think it's much more likely to be seen by the devs there as a feedback forum is naturally more valuable to them in terms of development than a forum for discussion about anything is.

And I'm not undermining anyone's voice here. I'm just providing my point of view on all of this with suitable argumentation for why I came to those conclusions.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,650
    edited October 2019

A battlepass is by definition the pay part and when it's aimed at casual and hard-core it just means the reward a you can earn on the pay tier should be able to be earned by both sets of players.

Casual and hard-core don't mean free of pay it's a term for those who play differently or lack of time to play.

You can earn some cosmetics but like the store with some cosmetics you cannot earn the top tier ones by playing for free.

The content in the pay pass was never meant to be free it is an extra addition which is being made soley for the revenue stream. Much like any battlepass you will not be able to earn them unless you pay to join the tier. It's exactly how every battlepass works and why they were designed.

To be fair its coming over that you feel entitled to the cosmetics the devs are making for this pass. We should never feel entitled to free items someone has to pay and work for to produce.

edited October 2019

This is absolutely broken logic. No one here is telling you to abide by any time schedule. You are free to ignore it. It's you demanding that in ignoring that time schedule you be given everything based on your personal and subjective acceptable level of effort.

You have no entitlement to everything you want. You do have the opportunity to achieve everything you want in the same fashion everyone else has in being offered that opportunity.

I do see a problem here. The west has created a culture where people who do not own the intellectual property believe they have an entitlement to dictate how someone else's intellectual property is handled.

• Ark_the_BonsaiArk_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 862

Okay sweetheart, go through the entire thread and find one thing that I've demanded. If you can do that, I'll read the rest of your post to make you feel better.

• xZeroStrikexZeroStrike Member Posts: 125

I'm not living in a bubble, so there's nothing to burst.

I also addressed this as the following: "a lot of things may, or may not, still change" and "changes are still possible".

I'm being open-minded about it. I neither said things will change, neither that they won't. They may have a track record for not doing so, but they may surprise everyone yet. Just look at how far the game has come since a year or two ago.