Home Dead by Daylight Forums PTB Feedback Archives 3.3.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Archive Challenges Too Difficult

Comments

• CodeLeoCodeLeo Member Posts: 12

It seems to me that there are two major challenges that are concerning people as well as a time/value investment concern. I'd like to address these issues with a few of my thoughts. In no way am I trying to demean anyone's concerns or say anyone's opinion is irrelevant, but here is some food for thought.

If there are a few challenges you don't like, then you don't have to do them. I haven't looked into the archive and rift in detail but assuming you need every challenge to guy level 70 in the rift, not completing a couple difficult challenges means you're only a few levels off. You've obtained a fair few cosmetics and made back almost(if not all) your auric cells. If you really need those last cosmetics, spend some of your auric cells. You've most likely made at least 800 back even if you can't do all of the challenges. That's 8 more levels of cosmetics for your investment and if you don't need to spend all of them, that means you've spent less than $10 to accomplish all of this. Granted, this is speculation. I haven't seen tier 4 and I haven't done the math on how many specific challenges are "super tough," so my math may be off but I'm very hopeful.

Thesecond concern is time investment. If you're unsure whether or not you can get it done, just stay on the free track. You can always retroactively buy the pass if you complete enough to make it worthwhile. And if you don't, then don't spend it. If you're a killer/survivor main that plays one side so exclusively that you don't have enough capability to accomplish a majority of the other sides challenges, then I definitely understand your frustrations but I don't think you should be going into this reasonably expecting to accomplish everything. Maybe it's time to branch out and try learning the other side. If not, then maybe wait to buy the premium track until you get to a point you feel the investment is worthwhile

As far as value, that's much harder to address but you're able to get multiple thousands of auric cells in cosmetics without even completing it on top of partial reimbursement of your expense and some neat charms. If these are things you like and you feel the value is worth it, go for it. If not, don't. It's all just cosmetics, you're losing no competitive or gameplay advantage by not buying it. Just don't jump in and buy the pass early until you're certain the return on investment is going to be good enough to satisfy you.

All in all, I don't think $10 every couple of months is a bad investment and I think behavior handled it very well in regards to helping people avoid getting screwed over on their purchase. I'm personally looking forward to a few difficult challenges to give me something to work towards and I'll be buying the pass day one to help support the game I play more than any other these days. I just hope everyone else can see the effort behavior seems to be putting into trying to make this a good fit for all their types of gamers regardless of their personal interest in the system.

A final add for the sacrifice during egc with noed challenge. Nothing says you have to down them during egc. When the last gen is done, you can just run around and slug a few people. You have noed. Then once a door is open, Chase out any still standing and start hooking. Or if you got everyone, open a door yourself. If you fail, oh well. There's always next game.

• qubuzorqubuzor Member Posts: 1

It's only few missions that you can always leave for the end to grind. If you can't make them, you still can level up the rift by just playing the game. Archives are also staying forever, whenever new rift comes, new archive comes as well but you can still do missions from the old archive (although the old archive probably won't progress the new Rift). Also on the note that all battle passes are for people who grind is false, Rocket league has really easy rocket pass that you complete after 6-8 weeks and it lasts for like 14 weeks. Red Dead Online has pretty easy one that people finished in a single day. Fortnite's isn't that grindy as well excluding some annoying quests. I guess you would want to unlock everything by playing 1 game a day.

• SleepyWilloSleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,081

The thing is that even if you complete ALL the challenges (which isnt looking even remotely possible given the difficulty of some) youre still over 300 fragments away (~100hours of matches). Given lobby wait times, DCs, etc youre not even getting close to completing that rift even if you play 3 hours every day for the 70days...

• CodeLeoCodeLeo Member Posts: 12

That's a fair point SleepyWillo. I hadn't done the math. I had, it seems foolishly, assumed that completing the tomes would complete the rift. I can understand needing some grind to finish it. After all, you're going to be spending a lot of time just completing the tomes. Several hundreds of hours of extra grinding is quite an investment however, and I can definitely understand the concern for that. That definitely seems like something that perhaps even the hardcore streamers and content creators might have trouble accomplishing.

I like the idea of the tome and rifts, and I love having new challenges to work towards, but if the challenges alone aren't enought to get close to completing it, then it may be something to reconsider. I think personally, I will still be buying the first one. I'll see how far along I get and what rewards I unlock, and if I'm not happy, I'll just hold off on preemptive purchases of future tomes. I don't personally feel a need to complete the full rift to get the value I'm seeking out of my $10 or less.

I have faith in Behavior that if it's proven to be too ridiculous, they will adjust it. We've seen it before with things like adjusting the amount of hallowed blight cosmetics that could be earned with serum. They do seem to listen to their community where feasible, especially for things like balancing investment vs. reward. Sometimes that change can be slow(ahem, bloodweb rework), but it gets there.

• CrazewtboyCrazewtboy Member Posts: 1,093
    edited October 2019

That's exactly what you gotta do! Always take the test run when offered one! I encourage everyone to do this instead of outright buying the pass right away.

I agree that nobody should buy the pass until the rift is about to close - so they know exactly what they're going to be getting for the money they are spending.

I just dont understand how they expect anyone to buy this pass once people realize its not complete-able without paying out more money on-top of the pass itself...

I would have more respect for a system that was actually achievable even if it didnt give you back the auric cells...

• RevansithRevansith Member Posts: 367
    edited October 2019

Then its simple... the game needs Regular unranked matches. Unranked matches would still allow completion of challenges but you wont depip if you mess up. DBD is an asymmetric ranked pvp game... the challenges are more of a nature of pve.

Hopefully people express their concerns through the feedback survey released. If they see how unhappy people are with the current model they may change it

• AlonzoAlonzo Member Posts: 151

But no one is forcing anyone to buy the pass. And you can still try the free track and see if you can reach the end ...and if you do you can spend 10 bucks if you want the premium cosmetics.

As for the challenges. I don't really know what they are but the NOED one and grab X survivors seems pretty easy to me.

Sure if you don't play that much you won't be able to finish the rift.

You literally cant complete the rift even if you complete all the challenges though. You'd still have to grind for over 100 hours to get the remaining fragments - and thats not including lobby times, DCs, etc.

I play this game more than most and even I would have trouble completing the rift - even the free track seems designed that you have to buy the remaining tiers with auric cells.

Its the fact that the system is designed in a way that is not actually do-able which is my main issue.

And yes, while some of the challenges are technically do-able a large amount is luck based. Even if you down the second survivor during EGC - do you think they wont DC to stop you from getting the challenge? Or When youre carrying your fourth survivor to the basement - do you think they wont DC then?

Long story short the entire system was very poorly thought out...

• doublev1986doublev1986 Member Posts: 78

These damning reports have made me think twice about buying this day 1 I have been so excited since it was announced

Same... I would have more support for it if you didnt get Auric Cells reimbursed but could actually complete the thing

Did anyone actually managed to count all the rift fragments you get from challenges? Or how much progress would you make if you complete ALL the challenges?

Completing the archives gives you a total of 352 rift fragments. You need 700 rift fragments to finish the battlepass. You need to grind devotion xp to gain the remaining 348 rift fragments to complete the battle pass during the window that the rift is open. Thats matches that may take around 111 hours to accomplish (instant matches - no DCs, lobby wait time, bad matches (tunnelled/genrush), etc.

• FibijeanFibijean Member Posts: 8,343
    edited October 2019

Although, it is worth noting that you will be getting devotion xp while completing the challenges. So the 111 hours (or realistically, closer to 150 if you factor all that other stuff in) isn't on top of the time it takes to complete the challenges, but rather concurrent with them. Still, even if you complete all the challenges in that time while getting all the xp so you're able to complete the Rift, 150 hours is still double the amount the devs estimated it would take originally. So to an extent, the problem remains. It's just not quite as bad as people are making it out to be.

I didn't knew that. I'll just play my usual and see if I can finish the rift. If I can finish everything I will get the pass to unlock the premium items.

• Theoretical_HeartTheoretical_Heart Member Posts: 398

Paulie Esther basically admitted the challenges were too difficult in his Feng Min stream yesterday.

Flashlight save 2 ppl in a single match? Unhook 2 survivors during egc in a single match? He said he probably won't be able to do those. He also acknowledged passive Rift Fragments come too slowly.

Come on, ANYONE saying these challenges aren't way too hard and way too situational is just lying at this point.

• CrazewtboyCrazewtboy Member Posts: 1,093

Well, it's like you said, if everyone waits to buy it, and sees it isn't worth it, their sales will tank and they'll be forced to either fix it or get rid of it. This is assuming it doesn't get fixed before it drops on live servers.

• Azgard12Azgard12 Member Posts: 335

I'm worried about the alarming rate at which people disconnect in the game. My biggest concerns right now are the difficulty of the higher level master challenges for killers, as some of these can be undone by a single disconnect. Additionally, I wonder if some of the challenges are going to shape the meta more than expected (the increased focus on trapper traps, basement kills, endgame kills, dropping pallets, and flashlight saves will be interesting)... Sadly there will always be those salty players who might realize you're going for basement kills or endgame sacrifices and this will result in them directly trying to block your goal by disconnecting or just not playing along at all.

• Azgard12Azgard12 Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2019

Also the endgame collapse ones that pit survivor goals against killer ones in level 4 are genius.

Im also not sure I can find a stupid enough killer to pallet stun 4 times in 1 match.

(edited coz double post)

• Dr_LoomisDr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited October 2019

There are some tough challenges. Too tough for some. This is not very good especially seeing as we're having to pay for this and have a limited time to unlock all the awards.

• Schmiddy21Schmiddy21 Member Posts: 52

You'd be surprised how easy this is Especially with swf. They all wanna save buddies to all get out. I'm notorious for this myself.

• ToastfaceKillaToastfaceKilla Member Posts: 574

You mean I might have to make a perk build specifically for a challenge or even change my playstyle? Inject that into my veins please.

Try getting multiple flashlight saves in one game? How many do you average? I tend to get one before the killer learns to face the wall. And that's if multiple survivors aren't competing for the same thing. When I'm killer and I see a flashlight I tend to run lightborne to make them waste their time. it's not about changing things up - it's about unachievable challenges designed to infuriate so people pay to skip the tiers

• StarMoralStarMoral Member Posts: 819

I thought you were just meant to do challenges to go from one end to the other, rather than the entire board.

You need all to unlock the tier specific charm. and if you want to complete the entire rift you would need all the challenges and play over 100hours of continuous matches

• StarMoralStarMoral Member Posts: 819

Alrighty

For context, how much BP do these hard challenges give?