Nintendo Switch™ players: Instability issues prevented us from releasing the mid-chapter update and The Archives. Good news! We are working towards launching the update sometime next week.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Devs, stop exploiting your fan base as your free labors

night_with_younight_with_you Member Posts: 16
edited October 13 in General Discussions

Yes, it is about the dedicated servers. They are totally a disaster. You basically made Nurse, Huntress, and plague hardly playable. And there are countless times in every game when the hits through the pallets/windows. Even when under 40pings, I found many time survivors/killers moving in a very lagging way, which make the process of looping/anti-looping very frustrating. I have been played DBD for two years, and this is the 1st time I seriously consider stopipng playing.

Most importantly, devs, it is extremely disgraceful to force the players to play a unfinished product without noticing them to let themselves make the decision, FOR TWO TIMES!!!! I don't know why devs start the servers again this week. Considering they just did it last week, It is impossible solve all the issues found previously within such a short time. So devs, why again?

Here is some advice:

If you wanna test anything:

1). put it on the PTB and let players to decide if they wanna try it.

2). If you cannot find enough volunteers, go hire some people to do the test for you. I am sure it cost much less than the copyright of stranger things.

Devs, we are not your free labor to test your unpolished work, and FOR TWO TIMES, without notifying the players ahead. Never know another game company can be so rude and unthoughtful!

NO respect to devs anymore.

Post edited by Rizzo90 on

Comments

• night_with_younight_with_you Member Posts: 16

I am happy it works for you. But it does not means it work for everybody, or the way it is implemented is correct.

For example, I am happy to give some coins if some homeless people kindly ask me. But it does not mean they can directly walk into my house and take my money.

Same thing for the devs and servers

• ocafghanistanocafghanistan Member Posts: 1,367

I'm just glad dedicated servers aren't on console they sound pretty ass at the moment

• CaptainCastleCaptainCastle Member Posts: 344

I love when people who don't know anything make blanket statements about them being unable to test servers without foisting the broken messes on us.

• ElkElk Member, Trusted Posts: 1,000

I do and i don't want it tested on consoles. I do because then we would see less problems such as bugs and glitches. Most issues that would be on console would have been taken care of. I don't because some of us would experience what others had faced. So in a way i do, so everything would be taken care of so we wouldn't have to deal with it later or less of it. I'm kind of mixed, but for it. I hope you understand this riddle. Haha.

For the bugs most people complain about, there is no way that they are caused by the size of people in the servers. For example, I don't think less people in the servers will make less hit-through-window happen, since same problem happen on P2P connection. It should be caused by the same bad coding. And devs had tested it last week, and within a short time, which nearly impossible for them to fix anything, they put up the servers again. How can you convince me it is all about capacity of the servers?

Also, let's not get into any legal term or agreement. It is their game and they can do anything to it. I am all for it. But I am talking about a what a respectful company should do. In your logic, any company can sell an unfinished game and just say to the player, "sorry we did not meet up your expectation, but you bought the game, so suck it up". But in reality, PTB, beta test, alpha test, etc. do exist for a reason. They are showing that some companies do care about their player's experience as well as just selling them an "agreement". Tons of other game companies offer free choices, like PTB, to players. How can BHVR think they can skip the things just because it is not in the "agreement". Well, they have rights to ignore me, then I have the right to boycotting and not respect them.

And I am sure some people are happy to help the devs test the servers. But some people are not. And I am sure devs know their are tons of bugs in the servers which may cause player's frustration. So why dont they just notice and ask at first? Again, stop talking legal or not, it is one simple thing, which literally cost nothing but can take care each one of your customers. But you choose not to do it, so tell me, why devs deserve any defense

• MadjuraMadjura Member Posts: 883

What are your region and platform?

1). put it on the PTB and let players to decide if they wanna try it.

Fun fact: The first time dedicated servers were enabled on the PTB they were so incredibly bad that they had to be disabled again within a day.

I am in U.S. and living in the same state as the servers.

I know it was super bad when they test it first time on PTB. So that is why you need to limit it to the PTB. If it is bad enough that no one even wanna to try it on PTB, then maybe it is time to hire someone to finish the dirty job for you.

• FibijeanFibijean Member Posts: 1,363

Just because I use words like "stipulated" doesn't mean I'm taking this from a legal perspective. Never mentioned anything about legality. I also never said that the bugs were caused by stress on the servers, just that that's one important thing that they need to test which they can't do by hiring people or even through a PTB.

Again, if you're not happy to help them test the servers, don't play the game while the servers are live. You're acting like they leave them on for a month at a time instead of a few days.

I'll make myself clearer: there was no agreement, implicit or otherwise, between you and the developers when you bought the game that stipulated they had to meet any of your future expectations regarding your experience playing the game. And no one is saying "you bought a broken game, just suck it up". What they are saying is that they're trying to improve the game, and in the meantime your experience might be a bit rocky. They didn't skip PTB testing, and nor did they do any of this without warning, for that matter. We were told that after the PTB testing, they would be periodically enabling the servers on the live platform to run tests there.

I'll say it again. You are not entitled to anything. Yes, it is your right to boycott the game if you wish. But that's your choice, not theirs.

• PeenutsButt3rPeenutsButt3r Member Posts: 326

Hey, it's people out there asking for dedicated servers, if you don't like it, you have the right not to play DBD until everything done.

• CrazewtboyCrazewtboy Member Posts: 589

Well, I'll give you props from the start. When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be another thread hating on a feature that hasn't even been fully released yet (in a way still kind of is) but instead it's about servers. I understand your frustration, but from what I've heard, the servers are starting to work fairly well. It could be because you are further away from the server for your area which will give you a weaker connection overall.

• ToastfaceKillaToastfaceKilla Member Posts: 295

as long as they get them right eventually, itll be worth it. They must be pretty embarassed at the delays to them so far,

• Sn0wJobSn0wJob Member Posts: 247

"play something else for awhile"

I remember the last time I was told by a BHVR employee to take a break or play something else 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Glowing endorsement.

• maaadinsomniacmaaadinsomniac Member Posts: 22

In 2016, everybody crying because this game looks like Alpha. They expect AAA game or something like that.

In 2017, everybody crying about SWF, they are too OP, they said.

In 2018, everybody crying for Dedicated servers.

In 2019, everybody crying for P2P and test Dedicated servers in PTB with like 200 players instead of 20k.

Instead of crying tell them what's wrong, they need feedback. So leave General and use Bug Reports.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 2,406
    edited October 13

Devs release servers on live. They turn out buggy and the forums blow up.

"Devs why didn't you test them more!"

Devs test them on live to make them be as stable as can be on live.

"Devs stop testing servers on live"

Doesnt look like they can really win either way tbh so they are doing what needs done to make them the best they can be.

• premiumRICEpremiumRICE Member Posts: 385

It does not mean the server sucks for dverybody either. They are still working on them and playing with 40 ping is priceless.

• NamelessNameless Member Posts: 98

Just play something else like civilization and you’ll be fine.

• ZamblotZamblot Member Posts: 20

Your complaining way too much, do you really expect them to implement it in 2 years when it is 100% polished?

I am personally finding it way better as I'm not getting super high ping servers anymore, even as a killer its way nicer because queue times seem to have dropped and I find myself landing in already full lobbies sometimes.

Sure some off the hits have felt a bit off but they always do with dead by daylight and I believe the negatives that come with it at the moment far outweigh the negatives that come without it, furthermore it can be advanced and debugged much much more quickly on live servers and they have left plenty of testing and fixing since it first reared its head on the PTB so I think they have left it plenty of time to roll out

• MisterCremasterMisterCremaster Member Posts: 464

Hey look, another person who is not a game engineers telling the game engineers what to do. BHVR doesn't come into your work and tell you how to hold the spatula, so why don't you just sit back and let them do their job too?

• Mat_SellaMat_Sella Member Posts: 1,062

you signed an End User License Agreement, if you don't agree to the terms then don't play the game.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 1,055

The whole reason dedicated servers are being tested in the live environment is because it was determined that they weren't getting enough data from testing in a PTB environment. They can't possibly account for every variable people will encounter in a live setting without doing extensive testing in a live setting. As painful as it may be at times, this is the best way forward: short test periods followed by tweaks and more test periods.

• GeminiCrowGeminiCrow Member Posts: 30

This isn't a hate sink for DbD in here. And outright disrespectful on their own forum? Take it to reddit instead of trying to lead a charge here, bud. Ain't gonna happen. You're getting upset that people have a legitimate argument to what's going on. By this unnecessary tired and vapid arguing, you're only creating a more toxic community. So please take it somewhere else and stop forcing this on everyone here to enjoy and celebrate the game.

You have no obligation to play if you don't like it. Or "play something else for a while".

• graysobgraysob Member Posts: 3

Don't play the game if you think it's labor.

End of thread.

• saminationsamination Member Posts: 110

Work great for me.

• TheHoodiedOneTheHoodiedOne Member Posts: 7,037
    edited October 13

Pretty much what he said, you agreed to this so this is false

• HellCatJaneHellCatJane Member Posts: 513

Got to love it... You get told to leave feedback and then get told to take your feedback off the forums because it's disagreed with....

There's no reason to attack the guy for complaining.

The dedicated servers may work great for some, but they are terrible for a lot of people.

Anyways, I'll discuss this.

They don't put it on the PTB because they flat out know that no one is going to install or run the PTB just to test dedicated servers. Other changes, sure/maybe. But people hated playing the dedicated servers there, so they went back to live. The dev's are aware of this.

As for money... and expecting them to use it for purposes of testing and debugging the game.... ehhhh... I don't see that realistically happening. Why pay for something when you can force it for free? And thinking about it, they were the ones that supposedly tested MoM before they released it... thinking it was great and balanced... They clearly need help in my opinion...

However, I definitely agree they should have a notice of changes and communicate way better to their consumers/playerbase. I really dislike that they seemingly change stuff on a whim, and just do not communicate it. (And yes I am aware they can do whatever the hell they want to, that isn't my point at all.) Like matchmaking and stuff, you are playing and suddenly out of no where it's so borked. Like they really screwed up not too long ago, then after it became apparent they were like Oh yea we did that. We are aware etc. Its frustrating that they didn't say, "hey we are changing this. Let us know how it goes"... as opposed to changing things for the worse and finding it out the hard way. Then a "oopsie" later on...

They know we want to be communicated with, but still don't bother... it is incredibly frustrating as a consumer, especially when the game itself has several bugs/issues that need to be dealt with and addressed. That's just how I feel about it.

• TheGorgonTheGorgon Member Posts: 654
    edited October 13

While I don't agree in the fullest, I can see what you're trying to get at. The developers usually don't really care about our final opinion and take what they did at first for granted. Later on, it becomes a global issue in the community. You'd think that they would take more of an advantage over such a great tool as the "PTB" to unit the train of thoughts and balancing ideas of the community and the core devs.