We are terribly sorry to those who have been affected by these attacks- we understand the impact this has on you. We are taking every appropriate measure to ensure the safety of our players.
We encourage our players to report to us any cases of DDoS, as well as any other form of inappropriate or abusive behaviour in the game. In the meantime, we encourage you to stay safe and follow best practices for online safety.
What version of Iridescent Heads would not cause mass disconnects?
So, since the Nurse recently got a rework of all of her addons we were able to take a glimpse into certain "Standards" that are apparently now applied to every killer's addons rarities. With that in mind and a fresh game of 2 people DCing vs Iridescent heads under my belt i thought i'd be fun to play designer for a minute: How could Iridescent Heads be changed to not cause such waves of disconnects?
The way i see it Iridescent heads are VERY strong but definitely beatable unless you get unlucky with the map you play on (lots of narrow corridors or very tiny maps are gonna make dodging 3 hatchets quite the task)
So i thought i'd just flatout ASK for peoples opinions on how they think Iridescent Heads could be altered to make players less likely to simply quit against them.
Lets start with the most tame change in design, the one that actually leaves the instadown effect intact:
1) Leave the Iridescent Heads addon exactly as it is, except it now MANDATES you can only carry a single hatchet. No more going up to three with the belt. You get one shot, you can use other addons like Deerskin Gloves to make reloads more forgiving, or charge up time to make a hit easier, but if you miss your shot, there's actual risk/reward to it because you are forced to reload
Now, with that idea of a very minor change out of the way, let's throw in some other ideas on how they could be changed in a more drastic manner.
2) Iridescent Heads no longer inflict a penalty on the amount of Hatchets you can carry. Instead of "Dying", they now apply the "Deep Wound" effect. Sure this would make Huntress a ranged legion, but i think that'd make less people ragequit than a ranged billy ;)
3) Hitting a survivor with an Iridescent Head doesn't instadown that survivor anymore. Instead anyone in the range of your Huntress Song becomes Exposed for X (30?60?) seconds. This could lead to some interesting dynamics of attacking other survivors over your the one you just injured, rewarding a defensive style oriented towards Thanatophobia, Dying light etc.
4) Iridescent Heads applies the Broken Status Effect for 120??? Seconds. This one is kinda harsh, her mangled effects last 120 seconds but i don't think she should dish out broken for that long. In particular in combination with the Vile Addon that applies Mangled and the 50% Repair penalty this could be a bit too disgusting. Maybe leave it at 60 seconds.
5) Iridescent Heads stay wherever they impact and can be retrieved by the huntress by walking past them for the next X seconds. Basically an automated reload which would VERY much extend your arsenal during a chase. Not sure that's good enough to be a red addon, but a lot of utility addons are, so why not.
6) And lastly, since we already have a (temporary) blindness effect, i think we could have a red huntress addon that applies the new Oblivious status effect. This could replace Iridescent Heads but it could also flatout be a brand new addon, since the nurse redesign workshop basically stated killers are supposed to have two red addons.
What do you guys think? I know number 4 through 6 could pretty much just be a seperate new addon as well - and i personally think Iridescent heads are FINE as they are. I can pretty much consistently blackpip against them unless the huntress REALLY camps me down. Most of the time as soon as "oh its instahatchets" is revealed you hear 1-3 Gong noises for people disconnecting anyway, which i think is stupid but seems to simply be a reality of the community and the entitlement of my fellow random teammates thinking they dont NEED to see the match through.
What's your favorite? Would you change Iridescent Heads at all? Which one of my versions would you like to see in the game, be it as an Iridescent replacement, or as a new red addon alltogether?