The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Regarding the Struggle Mechanic

ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 1,857

So I've been thinking a bit, and honestly, I just can't think of any reason why struggling by button mashing hasn't been changed yet. Like it's such an awful mechanic and yet it's still here after 3 years. Would it take so much work to change struggling on the hook? Or do the majority like the struggling mechanic and want it to be kept the way it is?

Just had a really fun match against the Demogorgon that ended early because for some reason I didn't press the button fast enough. Really a shame because it was a really fun match and it was really close, and my whole team probably lost because of that. I just don't get what good the struggle mechanic is in this game.

Comments

• gaydavidkinggaydavidking Member Posts: 113

I agree. It's annoying to people I'm playing in the same room as, not to mention killer on my keyboard. I wish they'd make it more interactive, like Doc's snap out of it skill checks, or just press and hold, anything besides the frenzied button mashing.

• RivynRivyn Member Posts: 490

The worst is when you miss a tap for some random reason, and die from it.

• FreudentraumaFreudentrauma Member Posts: 687

From what I understand Devs reasoned the mechanic for quite some time as beeing "immersive" and if I remember correctly they only mentioned during a Q&A around the time of the second anniversary they might consider it or are more open about changing. Problem probably is, that there is and was so much stuff to change and focus on since then and that they might not have come to a proper decision to what they have to change it.

But yeah. Getting it's long time overdue to get rid of it. Button smashing is a bad game mechanic and probaply even costs new players.

• ColonGlockColonGlock Member Posts: 413

Do yourselves a favor and bind this action to your mouse wheel. Big QOL change.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 4,510

It's about as immersive as games loaded with Quick Time Events.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 1,549

The problem is console players like me do not have this option.

• HellCatJaneHellCatJane Member Posts: 570

Hate it as well. Fully agree. Please change it. Thanks!

• GravnosGravnos Member Posts: 70

I quit playing Survivor because of it, especially after carpal tunnel surgery. :(

• DejavubestperkDejavubestperk Member Posts: 1

I think some skillcheck based system might be better where if you miss a skillcheck your struggle meter goes down a bit, while hitting a great skillcheck will pause the entities progress momentarily.

• CrowFoxyCrowFoxy Member Posts: 778

Just use a macro, devs don't wanna fix a [BAD WORD] mechanic.

• MisterCremasterMisterCremaster Member Posts: 545

Or don't force it at all. It's silly and letting yourself die is a benefit to the other survivors often. Your character should just struggle in the second phase automatically and the only way to die early is to DC and forfeit your BP.

• premiumRICEpremiumRICE Member Posts: 487

Its not about speed its about keeping a steady pace.

Btw I dislike this mechanic too.

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

Yeah you dont HAVE to slam that button (like the Like Button) but you do have too keep a pace. Don't push it to max right off

• ASAPTurtleASAPTurtle Member Posts: 730

I've died on second hook dozens of times because the killer was laggy and even though I was mashing spacebar the game has a hiccup and removes me from the game.

• GibberishGibberish Member Posts: 306

Yeah, I hate the struggle state. Its annoying, plus it gives Survivors a way to "disconnect" without disconnecting, screwing over the other players.

• PotEtUPotEtU Member Posts: 36

Its called the struggle mechanic, you have to struggle, in this case struggling with spamming a button

• C3ToothC3Tooth Member Posts: 302
    edited October 19

I do think struggle should have a skill check for every 1/3 bar (at 40sec left and 20sec left). If you miss skill check, you're dead

I also do think this will force a player to stay in a match longer. Because if you plan to suicide on 2nd hook, at least you will have to wait for 20sec to miss the skill check. And there will be a chance that a mate will unhook you before that.

Of course the skill check is easy as Gen.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 1,240

It's a terrible mechanic that the industry largely abandoned for a reason. It's immersive the first few times and annoying every time after that. It gets harder for me as the weather gets colder and my arthritis gets worse. Just change it. It's not drawing anyone to the game who otherwise wouldn't try it. But plenty of people are playing survivor in spite of it or not playing survivor because of it. It's so asinine that there is a near unanimous consensus about it on these forums. Think about that.