We are aware of a current issue going around affecting most forum users. Affected users received this message upon log in: "You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

We are currently investigating this incident.
The November 2019 Developer Update is now available: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/103996/
Chapter 14 Teaser:
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

A SWF Matchmaking Solution for Everyone

Instead of the new "match by highest rank" stuff that prevents players with high rank friends playing together it should keep the old average matchmaking BUT with a few tweaks.

• People above rank 10 should be weighted more the farther from 10 they progress
  • People below rank 10 should be weighted less the farther from 10 they degress

Examples:

1. Old Matchmaking:
    1. Surv R1 + Surv R20 = Killer R10
  2. Current Matchmaking:
    1. Surv R1 + Surv R20 = Killer R1
  3. SUGGESTED MATCHMAKING
    1. Surv R1 + Surv R20 = Killer around R5-6

The idea is for the Rank 1 to be more important to matchmaking and the Rank 20 to be less important in a SWF scenario.

This way a single high rank paired with a single low rank still has a chance to carry that low rank but also won't get an incredibly easy game.

Obviously how heavily weighted the higher ranks and lightly weighted the low ranks are would need to be WIBed (whatever is balanced)

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Ark_the_BonsaiArk_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 861

@NMCKE @yobuddd @Boss @PrincessPoop @Elk @GrootDude @Mushwin

Sorry to tag you guys but I've interacted with all of you before and know I'd get a very diverse set of minds on this. Thanks for responding if you do.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 11,736

I’d be ok with this

• NMCKENMCKE Member, Trusted Posts: 5,814

I personally do not mind this change since your rank 20 teammate will likely struggle anyways, regardless of the killer rank.

Therefore, this will just make life slightly easier for the rank 20, but in the case the rank 20 is smurfing, the rank 5-6 will still pose a great challenge to everyone! :P

Overall, in a 3 point rating:

✅ Idea seems fair for the community

✅ Idea is obviously well thought out

✅ Idea is original — It's not a commonly suggested idea

Awesome, 3/3 is superb; great suggestion!

• ElkElk Member, Trusted Posts: 1,050

This sounds fine to me! It sounds fair. There are things like R1 + R10 +R20 how would it be? But it does sound/looks okay to me.

I'm glad I passed on the second point specifically because I've been thinking about this since about a week and a half into the changes. While the current matching is certainly better than the old one due to the fact that the survivors have to make a decision(where the killer couldn't), it still just flopped the problem to a different side.

• yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 646

I always like to give critical feedback, but I honestly can’t find anything I’d want to change about this idea!

Just for the sake of discussion, we want to consider the various different iterations of the weighting.

• 4-man SWF with and even spread (1,5,10,15)
    • 4-man with 1,20,20,20
    • 2 2-man Swfs. Would the 2 distinct teams affect how weighting is calculated?

These don’t necessarily need answers, it’s just something to think about. As you said, it comes down to whatever is balanced.

As I’ve seen lately, some people are no longer able to play with their lower-ranked friends because the matchmaking is too strict. I think this idea allows for more flexibility while maintaining a fair system for both sides in the match. Altogether, bravo!

@Ark_the_Bonsai (On a completely separate note, I am in no way bothered that you tagged me for this thread. When I see the list of names that you’ve grouped me with, I must admit, it’s kind of an ego boost!)

Since Rank 10 is the middle ground and the neutral part of matchmaking (weighted exactly the same as it is now), I'd say it'd turn out about the same as Rank 1 + Rank 20 if it was added to the mix. Maybe bringing it slightly higher.

Now a better example would be say a Rank 1 + a Rank 11-12 + a Rank 20 where the 11 and the 20 both weigh less than they would now but combined would weigh a little more. This would likely bring down the killer rank by about 1.

In a similar fashion a Rank 1 + Rank 8-9 would bring it up by about 1.

This is just on my own ideas for how weighted it is. If the devs decide it's more balanced for the Low ranks to not have an equal decrease to the High ranks increase or vice versa than that's fine. Whatever is Balanced.

Thank you!

I can answer your first two ideas

• An even matchup (1, 5, 15, 20) would still lean more towards a killer above rank 10 due to the higher ranks weighing more, but not by a lot because the lower ranks should, if balanced, still weigh it down below 7 (this is my opinion)
    • A matchup of mostly lows with one R1 would likely pull it down to just below 10. So in the vicinity of rank 11-12 if done well. (again, just my opinion)

As for how different swf would work together, in current matchmaking it matches the party to open slots so it shouldn't matter when compared to each other. A 2 man matched with 2 randoms would be no different than 2 2mans that end up together. But since they also have the newish system where they load in everyone at once I'm not sure if this is the case.

As for the people I specifically selected I chose people: I have personally spoke to at some point on the forum prior, have not always agreed with the others on the list, and are generally respectful to those of differing opinions

Basically I wanted different perspectives but not a heated or angry debate and you all fit the bill ^-^

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 2,813

This is just a great idea.

• ElkElk Member, Trusted Posts: 1,050

Ok, still an amazing idea though. It would be cool if it was added. Never know, who is watching.👀 ( ¬ .¬)

• MonlythMonlyth Member Posts: 244
    edited October 22

Honestly, I think the current system should stay. I already get matched with SWF groups that are 4-6 ranks higher than me. Don't want to make it even worse for myself.

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 476

I don't see how the current matchmaking prevents high rank players from playing with lowrank players because it doesn't.

That tends to happen when there's no one at your rank to fill a lobby with. The matchmaking starts at your exact rank and then slowly spreads out about 6 ranks in either direction. It's to make sure you always have games (though it kinda defeats the purpose of rank when it allows such a large gap.)

Well it doesn't physically stop people from playing with friends at different ranks. No more so than caution tape physically stops you from entering a quarantined zone. It's still obviously a bad idea to cross that tape or to play with someone of a higher rank than you. The idea here is to lessen the pressure so that high ranks don't feel like they have to derank to play with their low rank friends without making it as broken for killer as before.

The current system just promotes deranking for swf (though that's in part due to lack of incentive to stay at a high rank, not just the incentive for someone to go down to their friend's rank)

• MushwinMushwin Member Posts: 2,640
  • MushwinMushwin Member Posts: 2,640

This is Mushwin approved!

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 7,096

Sounds neat.