Home Dead by Daylight Forums Polls

Should Dead by Daylight become a free to play game?

AjritokaAjritoka Member Posts: 599
edited October 2019 in Polls

Dead by Daylight is infamous for its excessive grind. The grind for perks, grind for characters, grind for cosmetics, and so on. The newest feature to grind out will be the archives, which come with an optional paid rift pass.

Dead by Daylight’s grind is comparable to that of a free to play game. The example that comes immediately to mind is Paladins. Paladins also requires players to grind for progression, grind for characters, and grind for cosmetics. The option to pay for these items is optional.

Dead by Daylight’s model is similar to that of Paladins, yet Dead by Daylight is a paid game. I feel like this is unreasonable. When I began to play Dead by Daylight 1000+ hours ago, I felt like it was worth my twenty dollars. Now, it seems it’s simply asking too much of players.

Let’s look at another very successful paid game (albeit much more successful than Dead by Daylight) called Overwatch. Overwatch’s model seems fitting for a paid game. All characters are available to you upon purchasing the title. In-game currency and cosmetic items are optionally purchasable through loot-boxes.

Dead by Daylight could remain a successful paid game, if it offered some more content included with the base game. Perhaps all non-licensed characters could be available with the base game, and BHVR’s income could come from licensed DLCs and cosmetics. Another option; purchasable characters could remain unlockable and all cosmetics could come with the base game. I believe the first option is better, since I’d guess most of BHVR’s income comes from the paid cosmetics.

TLDR: Dead by Daylight’s system seems flawed. If it is to remain a paid game, either non-licensed characters or cosmetics should come with the base game. If it is to continue using its current system, I believe it should become a free to play game.

Should Dead by Daylight become a free to play game? 131 votes

Dead by Daylight should become free to play
40%
Ark_the_BonsaiChrisFuFuuLuigifan64MrsMaliciousXPhantomMask20763BlueberrybeatddbxChrisx0h_DoctorBigWeeWeePluKev19915ad19970DrazenxCarrieStrancolVSLlÔ_borocamgaming_dbdSkittlesthehusky 53 votes
Dead by Daylight should remain paid, but reduce grind and make non-licensed characters free
59%
GonzaloPuggyMohawkBossdarthtimsterFoggyDownpourNMCKEGibberishAdelooMister_xDzacmangamingkatoptrisDaddyTrappersGirlGamer00SpacingLlamasAjritokaarslaNbrokedownpalaceInnCognitoSletitrocksSblitcher 78 votes

Comments

• humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 7,550

yes then give everyone a hat like the gibus in tf2

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Hopefully a better one in that case. Maybe legacy for console, please.

• humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 7,550

I wouldn't mind xbox themed clothing kinda what they did with rocket league and the consoles

• BBQnDemogorgonBBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

No changes!

• MikeasaurusMikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,326

I'd prefer it just stay a paid game. Any game that goes from Paid to F2P is pretty much destroyed overnight by a influx of terrible players. And that's not me being negative, since I get everyone starts somewhere, but since the game is technically 'free' on Xbox Game Pass, I've seen brand new players just butcher games completely becasue they haven't got a single clue to what's going on. Imagine having constant games where it's over in 2 minutes because the new players didn't grasp you avoid the big guy with the knife.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member Posts: 14,112

neither

• EleghostEleghost Member Posts: 817

Nice you don't even have the option to vote no without stipulation. You know the game is literally like 10 dollars like 80% of the time. that's cheaper than pretty much any game out there that isn't triple a and is growing. Good lord if you're going to say make non-licensed characters free i mean hey they technically are you just gotta play to get them like every other game.

• itsmetimohthyitsmetimohthy Member Posts: 43

Its fine as is. Also there really should be a third option in the vote. The fact the only two options are things you mentioned is basically you trying to make people agree with you. Facts are, nothing is wrong with its current model.

• FriendlyGuyFriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

FtP, but only the three original killers and the tree original survivors are FtP. Rest is paid.

• Boosted_DwightBoosted_Dwight Member, Trusted Posts: 3,043

None

• AngryFluffyAngryFluffy Member Posts: 443

It should stay how it is now. Whyever this is not an option to vote for. This poll says basically nothing at all without this option.

• AjritokaAjritoka Member Posts: 599
    Dead by Daylight should remain paid, but reduce grind and make non-licensed characters free

To everyone saying they want a third option. I’m sorry. I was planning on adding one but I accidentally posted this poll before it was finished and now I can’t edit the poll options at all.

• bendermacbendermac Member Posts: 772

What is OP talkng about with making non license characters free? They are all FREE!

I mean to make them available with the base game.

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Dafuq? What about world of warcraft or most of the other MMO games, they are known for grinding and pretty much bring the grind to the world?

They are free. Dead by Daylight is paid. This is why I started this discussion.

@KillerRaccoon

Think you dont know about these games or you didnt read what I actually meant but World of Warcraft is not for free, its in a monthly subscribe system, black desert online either and much more games like that aswell. And with DBD becoming a for free game there would be ALOT more toxic ppl and smurf accounts to make the life of new players even more harder. This would only bring more chaos and negative effects to this game.

I’m sorry, I was thinking of the free game called League of Legends.

@KillerRaccoon

Thats not a MMO :D MMO means Massive Multiplayer online game.

• KuromiStarwindKuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited October 2019

I think if they focus a bit more on cosmetics and add more stuff to the Archives, then they certainly could. There's a lot of stuff they would have to fix that would make the game appealing to new players, however.

• ElegantElegant Member Posts: 443

I would leave it at like $5 just to keep people from actively hacking and making new accounts.