Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Survivor Stereotypes, and why they're bad.

Comments

• FireHazardFireHazard Member, Trusted Posts: 7,314

We'll have to see, but as long as there are some toxic Claudettes, Feng Mins, whatever other Stereotype there is on other Survivors... than they'll be associated with those Stereotypes.

Of course, that's not a bad thing if its like a meme or if you think that way... it's another thing though to actively be toxic towards people who main or play those Survivors because of their past experience with players that main those Survivors...

So what I mean is, because someone was being the worst teammate or person ever to a Killer or their teammates... than they automatically assume ALL Survivor mains/Casuals that play that Survivor is the same way.

• ahandfulofrainahandfulofrain Member Posts: 528

Even your TL;DR is too long

It's like a few sentences...

Here's an even shorter version

Don't be toxic towards other Survivors that main Survivors you hate off of stereotypes or personal experience... And if you come across a Survivor that follows under that stereotype like a toxic Claudette or Nea... than don't actively be toxic to them as well... You don't have to be nice, but you don't have to be nasty either.

Not every Survivor is exactly the same, so don't automatically assume the 5 toxic Neas you faced before will be the same as the 6th Nea you just met in a lobby...

Fighting toxicity with toxicity just creates more toxicity.

• StupidPalletsStupidPallets Member Posts: 395

You honestly put way too much thought into this.

Ok...?

A lot of discussions are on small things that don't really impact that game that much... Toxicity isn't the massive issue within the game itself... but it's still an issue.

I'm sorry I didn't focus on NOED, Spirit, The Nurse's nerf, or 100 more of the other posts that're caught in an echo chamber...

• StupidPalletsStupidPallets Member Posts: 395

Oh no, I will not be baited into obscene language against another persons, sire. You, sire, are an exceptionally well-read, well-to-do fellow with the graciousness of your words only equal to our greatest thespians and Mother Theresa. While I have read your post — immaculately conceived, brilliant, unrivaled by any mere commoner — I have taken it upon myself to not acknowledge the topic, yet offer good tidings in the ritual of my daily klonopin pill. Cheers to you! Hip, hip, hooray!

edited October 2019

I very much enjoyed reading that for some reason, even though it was supposed to be mocking me lol.

• PluPlu Member Posts: 1,430

So just because you got denied an achievement you decide to blame a dumb harmless thing that people do ?

• SherrySherry Member Posts: 227

I'm glad you wrote this. Since I recently started reading the forums, I was shocked at how many hateful comments have been made toward Claudettes. I love Claudette and she's my favorite to play. I think she's the cutest survivor. :)

• PluPlu Member Posts: 1,430

Yeah I'm on the correct one, that's what I felt when reading this wall of text.

edited October 2019

Than explain what you're talking about because I don't understand what you're talking about...

What achievement? And what're you referring to as harmless? The constant toxicity that people display towards certain mains that play Survivors they don't like?

That's not really... harmless?

• RattmanRattman Member Posts: 1,194

Story time. Some days ago (really long ago actually) I argued with guy who said that killers should have 5 perkslots. Yeah, I feel ya, being a killer sucks big times, but your suggestion breaks the balance. And then this guy was like "Aw, you got Feng on avatar, you are survivor main!"

Well, this escalated quickly.

• fluffymareepfluffymareep Member Posts: 634

May just be perspective. I figured they were SWF since you're braver in a group of friends. You know (or think) the others will approve of what you're saying/doing. If it's just a duo, one person would at least. People are more likely to do something in a group that they probably wouldn't otherwise and a lot of people aren't very vocal while on their own (you get the bystander effect due to that). They're trying to avoid having everyone turn on them. Also if they weren't SWF, they'd likely to be addressing everyone since (if reacting to past experience) anyone can urban evade around the map and do nothing.

As for the point in regards to killers, a lot of killers get tunnel vision. They're chasing after this person for so long and they think they'll get them down at the next spot. If you're smart about it, you won't get caught chasing after one person for too long, but it happens to the best of us. What were you wearing? I may have missed it if you already mentioned it. This usually isn't important, but a lot of killers get tilted over stealth players since it's so easy to lose them and wastes a lot of their time. I had a match on a really dark map with a full team of Claudettes (all in the darkest clothes) and it was hell. A lot of killers don't like that.

• joker7997joker7997 Member Posts: 899

All I know is dwights are #########

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I've noticed any Dwight with the bald head cosmetic will try to be toxic... to varying degrees of success.

Yeah it's about 50/50 on the toxic dwights, half the time you're like lol thanks for the laughs, the other half the time you're like ######### YOU IM GOING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Yeah, but usually it's a matter of whether I can punish the toxicity that makes them tick that determines whether or not I'll get them. : P

I more find it's the ones that try hard and fail (the lols) to the really amazing players that use Dwight (kill you and your family). I've come across some real gems. Want them dead.

• Atrushan88Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited October 2019

I agree for the most part. However I will say that assuming a Leatherface is going to camp(or even every killer) or certain killers/every killer will tunnel is not really toxic. I view it more as expecting the worst to keep yourself alive. If it's a Bubba, it's a GOOD thing to assume he's going to camp the basement. Helps keep you alive. If you see Bubba, you stay away from the basement. Assuming every killer is going to tunnel also helps keep you alive. Assuming the worst helps keep you alive because you play more warily.

That said, what I do agree with is the part where killers bring moris because they see a Claudette, or someone with a toolbox, or a flashlight, or a med kit, or a key. Basically any time 2 or more survivors have anything in their hands. Assuming someone is going to behave a certain way imo is not problematic. ACTING TOXIC AGAINST PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ASSUME SOMETHING ABOUT THEM IS.

Yeah, but the main point was not to act toxic towards others because they play a certain Killer or Survivor that say... YOU specifically for example, don't like.

It's just not right...

Well no, they were specifically addressing me... nobody else is really known more for sneaking around and stealth like Claudette (Hide and seek champion 2016)

But yeah, they were specifically addressing me because I was a Claudette... So automatically they made the assumption that I would be worthless to the team because I was a Claudette.

And I was wearing the Producer Pants (The best pants), Claudettes P3 Face, and the black jacket with the red trim on the bottom... It's not entirely stealthy because of that BRIGHT red trim at the bottom, but it can be in some places... but what isn't stealthy for Claudette? She has a built in stealth field...

Anyways, its not like I was running full brown clothes Claudette... Cause than that would make a bit more sense and I kind of don't like it either when I face it as a Killer... But even when people use it, if I OPEN my eyes enough I can still see those people most of the time depending on the map.

Regardless if The Wraith was specifically targeting me or not, the main point still stands. You shouldn't be toxic or make assumptions about someone and openly express it in the pre/post chat... Cause than YOU look like the jerk in that scenario, all because you hate that Survivor from past experiences...

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,158

You should NEVER assume how another survivor plays by their choice of cosmetic. Have people forgotten the saying “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover”? Seriously, some people can’t even wear bright cosmetics or play Nea and Steve anymore because they’re always tunneled.

Stereotypes are bad for the overall game design and it’s not something to be fixed.

We, as a community need to be the change we want to see in it.

• Jb94Jb94 Member Posts: 208

I don't think this is quite as influential on gameplay as you think. If you were targeted by the killer it could be any number of reasons and I very much doubt the killer out a lot of thought into their actions--games are so chaotic you kind of just chase based on whatever is in your line of sight.

As far as the stereotypes go, they're almost all memes- barring the fact that players with P3 Claud/ brown shirt Claud are almost always intentionally trying to stack odds in their favour and pink hair Nea's are trying to get your attention from the getgo. Slap on any other cosmetic and no one will have any beef on either side. As a killer I do notice flashy outfits in the lobby (an all auric cell outfit suggests a level of investment in the game higher than the average player), but this doesn't influence my gameplay, its just a passing thought when sizing the team up.

I think the stereotypes are kind of fun- I have a fairly set idea that Lauries and Bills are useless, Davids overestimate their chasing ability, any given Feng's toxicity is directly proportional to the number of Neas+Claudettes in the lobby with them... I dunno, none of it actually means anything but it's natural to infer patterns in behaviour and it's amusing when these expectations are met or subverted.

You're right, its all based on personal opinion and it's mostly just for memes...

But it's another thing when people are overly toxic to each other within and outside the game because they play certain Killers/Survivors... it kind of does have an impact within the match when it comes to targeting specific Survivors, and more times than not it's because of a specific Survivor they don't like...

So for example, if i'm targeted and BM'ed and insulted at the end of the match because a Killer doesn't like that Survivor and automatically assumes the worst of me because of that Survivor... does that make it right? No. What did I do to deserve that hate? Because you played against another Survivor that was incredible rude to you? So you need to return the favor to all Survivors that play like that?

Doing that really does continue the cycle of negativity, and that's why a lot of Killers used to be nice but soon turn nasty because of certain players behaviors... and vise versa as well.

• Jb94Jb94 Member Posts: 208
    edited October 2019

I think you're falling into the trap of getting bogged down in the minute details of an incredibly specific situation: I wouldn't say 'more times than not' killers target a survivor they don't like, I think you're assuming a lot based on intuition and giving a little too much credit to the conclusions that you're drawing.

The hypothetical example you give is not 'right', but I don't think that's a particularly meaningful statement- the toxic behaviour in the example is not caused by the player's dislike of a character, that is only a justification. The behaviour would manifest in some way or another regardless of the reasoning behind it.

There's no cure-all for toxicity within the DBD community. Appeals to emotion won't work on the unsympathetic, appeals to reason won't work on the irrational and appeals to fairness won't work on... Well anyone--the game is inherently unbalanced and individual definitions of what are or aren't fair rarely align. There IS a cycle of negativity at play, but it isn't limited solely to the game- you're going to play with people who are unpleasant to interact with because of your character, or because of your playstyle, or because of your teammate's playstyle, or because they thought you were in SWF, or because they got bullied last game, or because they they had a bad day outside of the game, or because they paid X amount for the game and can play however they want as a result. The cycle is broken on an individual level by rising above the provocation- while you are appealing for people to do exactly this in your post, you're tying it to a very specific example which doesn't seem to resonate with many other players.

Going forward don't concern yourself so much with how you're perceived by other players- just focus on having fun and if you come across a game that tilts you a little too much take a break--play killer or find something else to do... Failing that-- main Jeff rather than Claudette? :p

You make a compelling argument. Also, I main Killer actually i'm just basing my information off of personal experience and other the experience of others as well.

But you're right, most if not all games are unpredictable so if someone has an agenda it can easily be changed within the game... regardless if they're specifically targeting someone or not.