Home Polls
The 4.0.0 PTB is now available on Steam! For patch notes, instruction and more details, click here.

Do you like events with alternative/distrackting objectives?

2»

Comments

• Divine_ConfettiDivine_Confetti Member Posts: 749
    No, I dislike alternative / additional objectives that don't go with the usual objectives.

That's why I'm saying special hooks/gens should be an all-around type deal instead of an event.

As for the flowers, no, I grinded out my flowers like everyone else. I hated it. I don't like farming (at least, not to the extent that came with that kind of event) and I don't like the idea of throwing games for vial progress. Maybe what they could've done is give the survivors a temporary gen speed buff whenever they finish a flower or something. You'd still theoretically be giving the killer more opportunities to find people and control the game, but you'd not be as heavily punished for doing so.

• LordGlintLordGlint Member Posts: 5,059
    Yes, I like alternative objectives that don't go with the usual gameplay.

I started right before the event happened, so that event was pretty much my first experience with this game as killer. Survivors would lose progress to the "checkpoints" on the vials, but thats about it. I had PLENTY of survivors who would find me and point at hooks, then suicide.

• RipperSharkRipperShark Member Posts: 16

I am a gamer who only plays one game at a time. I don’t know why, but I get a favorite multiplayer game, and I will play it for months or even years. However, I used to make one exception. During October, I would drop my current game and go back to play Team Fortress 2 for their Scream Fortress Halloween event. My suggestion is based on some of their events.

Pick a map for the event and spookify it. Pumpkins, scarecrows, spiderwebs, whatever. Do it up. Add map offerings for it in the bloodweb.

The game starts as normal, except all survivors start with unlimited Halloween flashlights. After a short time, an alarm sounds. Survivors are unhooked, gens partially completed are reset to zero, killers cannot harm survivors.

Soon, a boss spawns in the middle of the map.

Survivors can stun the boss or it’s adds with flashlights, to let the killer damage it. If someone dies, they respawn in the basement and have to run back to the fight. After a certain amount of time, the boss leaves, and the game continues.

After a few minutes, the boss comes back. If you can kill the boss before it leaves completely, both killers and survivors get rewards at the end of the match.

You could also have the adds drop rewards right there during the game, so even if you “lose” you get something.

Cooperative events tend to work much better and end up more fun for all involved.

• LordGlintLordGlint Member Posts: 5,059

That could be a fun thing to do for an alternate game mode, similar to how Overwatch separates their holiday game modes from the normal ones.

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 2,632
    edited November 2019

Hell yeah I do! I love the fact that we have a secondary objective to complete. It did a good job at slowing the game down. There should've been something in place to prevent Survivors from suiciding on hook once they got their nectar from the plants though.

• HudsonHudson Member Posts: 91

@Divine_Confetti Nope, I think that won't work: You are just thinking this from the survivors "we shall all escape" point of view. The killer is pertty much wasting time to get his catched survivor to the proper hook, he usually can't just pick the one next to him.

That's why I also liked that the flowers cost extra time. It gave me th opportunity to waste somt time to walk a longer distance to an event hook. (Since the killers anyway just got event hooks, even thou the survivors had these cool flowers.)

That's also what happens to me now. I usually cannot get all my event hooks. They are either to far away anyway, or I waste too much time carying survivors around, so the gens pop to fast.

• AcculllaAccullla Member Posts: 804

This idea is amazing!!! Realistically, I don't think the dev team would be able to implement it, because it will completely change the game and I imagine it could be pretty difficult to code, but I would absolutely love to see something like this in an event!!!

• Nyaren_ChanNyaren_Chan Member Posts: 215

Yes, i like them BUT it kind of makes my games way more stressing

@Accullla I also think there might be a problem deviding the community. Not sure how many players are online at the same time. But as you could see, the flowers already made it difficult for killers to find games, when the survivors recognized they would not be able to farm any more flowers once they are through.

That made a lot of players change to the killer side to at least get some more extra bloodpoints.

Same happened with Freddy, when he was out. Everybody wanted to play him.

I think there might be a problem with a game mode that rund without event during event weeks. As far as the poll shows right now, there are only 10 % of the players who dislike the alternate objectives. They might have problems finding games, maybe.

• Allhel1Allhel1 Member Posts: 22

To be honest I think the old Summer BBQ event was the best I liked Thebes uniquely design for the margarita gens and the grill hooks but I also thought the new year lamp thing was cool as well

• Divine_ConfettiDivine_Confetti Member Posts: 749
    No, I dislike alternative / additional objectives that don't go with the usual objectives.

I'm not though? I'm literally a 80/20 or 70/30 killer main. Mostly because the queues are so long as survivor on console. I haven't been going out of my way to get all the hooks on the map this event because they're just a bloodpoint incentive. But they're nice when you do get them. Which is what I'm saying: Let's keep the hooks/gens, have them themed with whatever active rift/archives there is, and keep the bloodpoint incentive. Have a generic non-limited offering that spawns more.

To suggest that I don't want survivors to throw their games for flowers because I'm a sweaty survivor main that is entitled to a 4 man escape every game is ludicrous and overly presumptuous.

• JoyfulLeaderJoyfulLeader Member Posts: 565

I liked the events from year 2 of DBD, The summer event had cool looking gens, hooks, music, and cosmetic system, Hallowed Blight was a breath of fresh air, Lunar Event was awesome and fun. But so far the 3rd year is looking bland, this was the first real event we've had this roadmap other than the disappointing anniversary update and it focuses all on the rift. Isn't as fun as the other ones we had

• Yes, I like alternative objectives that don't go with the usual gameplay.

goodbye pustulas, we will never see them again because of some players 😢🥀

• Yes, I like alternative objectives that don't go with the usual gameplay.

F

@Walker_of_the_fog_96 Never loose hope. ;) That's another reason why I opened this poll.

I also would like to see the pustular flowers again. Maybe the survivor farming mechanic should just be different. Like a) you should be able to farm the extra points. And maybe b) survivors that already have all viles maybe don't deplete flowers for others who don't have all viles yet, but just deplete them for survivors that already have all viles. So they still can get the points, but don't steal the viles from the ones still on the run.

I have just seen a poll "Do you prefer Hollow Blight Withering Blight" here.

So I would like to push this poll up again, since it is the same subject. =)

Pls vote. Maybe the devs will see this.

If survivors get distrackting objectives, why would not killer get their own new objectives, too?

With the pustula flowers event as a killer I also would have liked to get something to do other than special hooks. I think that was done by the lantern event, where killers would search the map for destroyable lanterns after hooking a survivor.

But I would more like, if the alternative objective for killers would be not against the survivors objectives. I mean, by destroying the lanterns you were also denying them to the survivors. I would more like an addional objective for killers, that does not deny the survivors event objectives.

Also the killers alternate objective should not be as time consuming as the survivors one, right? Since you anyway have not too much time to do anything else but putting pressure on the map. Not sure what would be the right way to balance, that killer and survivors waste an equal amount of time on their additional objectives.

What do you think?

• zmassanizmassani Member Posts: 29

This is why the current event is kind of lackluster. With the old ones you could get a few decent event-filled games in and earn the coins/etc you needed for the cosmetics you wanted, but with this you're entirely dependent on how much you're willing to grind for the rift. It's unfortunate, really.

I also think it's the "lets do something else than the usual thing" that is missing. If you just had to grind special hooks/gens for the viles, that would not be the cool thing as well. People would indeed bring more offerings to get their cosmetics, but it still would not feel the same.

There is something missing that let's you know in game, that really something is happening.

(Just to mention it: Everquest 2 had for example two tinkerer nsc characters that were actually played by game mods. You had to convince them in game by chatting that you are worthy to get the special tinker-fest quest. The complete ui was made up like they were normal npc characters but you could tell by the chat, that there were humans behind chatting with you and making you explain why you are the one that can fullfill the quest. THAT's an event!)

• SilentSpectreSilentSpectre Member Posts: 736

Yes! This event is so boring :(

Well ... it was kinda nice when we had it first time, with the slush machines or the bbq fest.

I would say special gens and hooks are nice when it comes to double blood points.

But as a halloween event I also expect something more than that.

• FoggyDownpourFoggyDownpour Member Posts: 286

Yes, but there needs to be a bit balancing to it. I don't really have any suggestions to offer though

So what do you think is not balanced properly?

Ok, I just read the new devs post. They are not going to make any new event objectives and want to keep just the extra bloodpoint stuff and the "event items" in the free Rift path.

So it will just basically be a grind.

@Devs: Why don't you just put up the old events again, since you said you want to invest your time on game health instead of new event objectives. Just put on the flowers again and after that maybe the lanterns again? Or do you just delete your code, after the event is over?

• FoggyDownpourFoggyDownpour Member Posts: 286

Mainly the balancing of objectives vs the flowers, against a good killer it could be pretty difficult to get everything done and I found myself choosing between objectives and flowers quite often

Wouldn't it be enough to give you emblem points for the flowers, so you don't derank by farming them?

I mean, what's the issue? If you want the flowers AND not being hooked, that would ofcourse not leave anything for the killer.

I mean, this sounds a bit like "I still want to play sweaty, when it comes to halloween events.". Do you mean it like that, or do I missunderstand you. Because that's what I liked about the flowers. Most survivors thought that there anyway the gens might not pop all, so they first tried to get their flowers and games went much less sweaty, which usually leaves the killer to be less sweaty, too.