Has the pre match lobby more negative side effects than benefits?
Without the public pre match lobby both matchmaking and game loading times could be reduced.
With dedicated servers a host is not needed anymore and the lobby could be skipped.
. . .
Currently the matchmaking and loading steps work like this:
- You click on the ready button to start matchmaking
- The game is searching for a host and possible teammates.
- When a possible match is found the player is loaded into a pre match lobby
- In the lobby players can still change characters or equipment
- When five players are found a countdown starts
- Players click on ready
- When all players are ready or the countdown finishes the game loads
- The match starts
What benefits does the lobby offer?
- The lobby may have been necessary to connect a host to the other players.
- The lobby could offer survivors a chance to adjust equipment
- The countdown and ready system in theory could make sure that everyone is ready.
Does the ready check actually help?
- No. If players are away from keyboard the countdown continues and the match starts anyway with idle survivor or killer just standing there.
What negative side effects does the lobby have?
- Players who leave the lobby increase the matchmaking times for those players who stay. (Subjective impression based on queue times measured with a stop watch)
- Players have time to check the player profile
- Survivors may leave the lobby when the killer has a lot of achievements
- Survivors may leave the lobby when the teammates are suspected to be beginners
- Killers may leave the lobby when they suspect a coordinated team
- Killers may leave the lobby when survivors carry a lot of flashlights
How could matchmaking with dedicated servers without a lobby look like?
- Solo players select their character and equipment
- Team players can still invite friends into their local lobby and coordinate their characters and equipment (before matchmaking!)
- The players click ready to join the matchmaking queue
- When a match is found the game loads
- During the loading screen all the players and their achievements could be introduced in an entertaining way
- The match starts
What is the intention of skipping the public pre match lobby?
- The number of loading screens is reduce from two to one
- Lobby skipping is eliminated
- The number of times a player clicks ready is reduced from two to one
- Search and loading times are reduced
Thank your for reading and considering.