The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Adding Voice Coms

So, I know that randoms are meant to be unreliable in a sense, but it would be interesting to add some sort of localised sound, similar to how Friday the 13th: The Game had/has. Both sides would also be able to hear whatever's coming out of the microphones of players, so it wouldn't be a total Survivor advantage.

It'd just be an interesting idea to add. Ideally, it would be used to help survivors co-ordinate more or even get people to add a roleplay element, where we become our characters. Runners might call out where they are so the killer comes at them and Gen-jockeys would have a bit more warning when others are coming.

And yes, I know that this would open up people to flaming each other over a voice coms, but with stuff like endgame chat or PS/Xbox messaging, it's gonna happen anyway. It would also still be circumvented by things such as Discord or party chats for SWF, but this one is primarily for the solo-players. And killers. It'd be nice to put on my best villain voice as I hunt down survivors.

Comments

• ThatbrownmonsterThatbrownmonster Member Posts: 758

Nope

• ChainsawCharlieChainsawCharlie Member Posts: 140

I just came here to say

NO

• EleghostEleghost Member Posts: 278

no. no. no. I don't want some 10 year old screaming in my ears as i'm carrying them to the hook calling me racist names and saying how he banged my mom. Look comms aren't necessary. More utility for solo survivors would make them close to what swf is.

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 314

Wow. This got a lot of "No" comments after I said that both the chainsaws maybe DON'T need instant-downs.

And that's what the report features are for on all platforms. Besides, there'd always be the option to turn the feature off. Obviously.

There is a very small group of people that want voice comms, and a giant group that doesn't including the devs. It's not in the best interest of the games health as it would put a rise in toxicity. Higher than it is currently. There's far more negatives with adding it than positives.

• LirulinielLiruliniel Member Posts: 1,659

Friday the 13th was cancer because of voice coms. Why would Behavior change to a crappy system like that?

So, we all need to work together to lower the toxicity levels in the game. I agree on that. I just thought that it'd be an interesting idea and I did say that it could be disabled as an option. If someone doesn't like the idea, then they'd simply turn it off.

Didn't play it long enough to know. Too many games getting killed in the first minute for being new.

i understand that it's just almost everyone would have it off by default because it doesn't really add a whole lot with an in game chat.

• ThatbrownmonsterThatbrownmonster Member Posts: 758

but what's the point of implementing a feature that will break part of the balance and most people won't use it?

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 1,453

If it was short range 16 to 20 meters. With a mute option. I'd disagree.

edited November 19

Then it would only be useful for screeching at the killer when being carried and in game would have very little effect.

Proper feedback and positivity. Thanks.

And I did say a "mute" option so that there isn't just a bunch of screaming 12yro in an ADULT GAME.

• LirulinielLiruliniel Member Posts: 1,659

It was bad it was cool at first, but it was annoying eventually and was cancerous. 10/10 not recommended.

If the community as a whole did a complete 180 with the toxicity, do you think it could be an interesting addition?

That's really the heart of what I've been trying to say here.

You say proper feedback and i've given you valid reasons as to why it would be bad and how no one wants to use it. It's such a small area that it would affect the game less than bond does. It's basically a weaker bond with a flaw.

• aregularplayeraregularplayer Member Posts: 183

solo main here, no thank you.

Hardly. Stealth killers would find it highly useful. I'd even say you could add a chance that using voice coms triggers a sound notification. That way it can still be useful to other killers. They could even add in radios to broadcast your voice farther. With the downside of triggering more frequent noise notifications and the killer being able to hear you at a longer range as well. My only condition would be a mute option would be a must.

This topic has been brought up before. My response has always been the same. It needs to be short range. So as to avoid perfect swf level communication. And there needs to be a mute option for those who want to ignore toxic players. Or simply feel it harms they're immersion.

• OutlandOutland Member Posts: 443

BHVR said no to this when they designed the game, and they still stick to it. NO IN GAME VOICE CHAT.

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 1,580

In Friday the 13th, organized groups just used Discord anyway.

You see that's where the problem lies. You say short range but anything under i'd say 30 is negligible and pointless. Perks like bond would honestly work better than voice. With most of the community not wanting voice in game i don't really see the point in working on a feature that no one will use.

• EVIL_EDEVIL_ED Member Posts: 137
    edited December 4

I loved Friday the 13Th far more than this game (before the bugs broke it when they went to a new engine.)

One of the key things they did right was add voice coms and balance Jason around them. I would love to make this game like Friday the 13Th and have suggested doing so several times.

The problem is that there is no other way (that I can think of) to give solo joins the some information as voice coms without just giving them voice comes. The most direct way from point A to point B is a straight line, after all.

A dev made it clear to me that they want to up solo joins to SWF level and then balance Killers around that. Sounds good on paper. That was months ago (almost a year) and not one single thing has been done about it.

Voice coms never busted the balance of Friday the 13Th because Jason had teleport and sense. So, the coordination didn't matter so much because Jason could be 'everywhere' to provide map pressure and actually find people with sense. Then he could actually shut down loops with throwing knives and shift.

Most Killers in DBD don't have the teleport. (Demogorgon, Freddy, and Hillbilly being the only ones who can actually haul their asses around the map in time to exert pressure.) BBQ and Chili is about the only way to find people. And I have yet to find any way to shut down loops.

Because of this, it's a nightmare trying to apply pressure to the level of coordination and intel that SWF voice coms get. Killers need a massive buff and that can't happen yet because Behavior realizes that if they buff Killers now they'd totally stomp solo joins.

SWF voice is not bad, in and of itself. I never felt like voice coms busted Friday the 13Th's balance. But, it is bad in this game because it's not at all balanced for it. And if you have a better way to up solo joins to the same information awareness as SWF voice so that Behavior can balance Killers around voice coms that isn't just give solos voice coms; I'd absolutely love to hear it.

They'd have to be able to communicate where they are, where heir team is at, where the Killer is if the Killer is near them, what the Killer is doing, when it's safe to come in for a save, what direction the Killer left so they know where is safe to escape with, and if the Killer has set traps/where those traps are. As well as be able to share this info from spectate mode like I do when I play SWF voice coms.

If they modded Kindred to allow all Survivors to see all Survivors all the time, and all the Survivors to see the Killer when the Killer is near anyone. That would come close to what SWF voice gives people if that were everyone's base kit without using a perk.

SWF coms is basically like everyone is using Kindred, but no one has to get hooked for it to activate. It's just always on. SWF voice does give a little more info that that. (Traps would need to glow if near people and it doesn't address spectating people and reporting their locations and actives back to alive people.) But, in essence, SWF is everyone getting to run Kindred for free without being hooked or loosing a perk slot for it.

Post edited by Rizzo90 on

I went with a short range to avoid turning every lobby into a potential swf. Which is why I also suggested adding a noise notification if coms were used. Making communication a potentially high risk choice. I can't say how many would use it or not. I just think it's an idea worth exploring.

• Mister_HoldoutMister_Holdout Member Posts: 1,556

Voice communication ruins the immersion of playing survivor.

• RevansithRevansith Member Posts: 312

But you agree that four solos might be less of a challenge than a full SWF team, pre made with extensive experience in matches and all on voice comms.

There is one idea which I think would be heavily downvoted. If you want to play as pre-made then use the KYF menu option,otherwise que solo ranked.

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 1,580

Behaviour says "We want to do this" about a lot of stuff, and then they never do anything. Same thing with season/devotion rewards. They move at the most glacial pace of any developer I have ever seen, on almost every single aspect of their game.

• AvarikuAvariku Member Posts: 583

voice comms are already a thing... only currently they are private and already break the game.

some 12yo cussing you out while you carry him to the hook isn't all that bad, calmly tell them that since they can't behave properly, you're going to camp them out of the game... they get enough of this and they'll stop eventually... not to mention reporting them and hopefully getting them a ban.

if they truly want to bring solo up to swf, and they should want that, this would be one of the best ways to do it...

short range, and with a mute option, I see absolutely no reason not to do this.

probably won't happen though.

• MissBehavingXMissBehavingX Member Posts: 192

God no.... I thought you were gonna suggest voice coms for survivors, which is probably the only thing I like about being a console pleb, that if i want to (which is rarely but I think some people do it) I can just invite the other survivors to a party and communicate, no need to add and stuff. But being able to hear people just like that.. no thanks. I'm from latinamerica and YOU KNOW that my people like to have the freaking telenovelas on the background and their 6 kids running around and crying or just have terrible mics. I pass.

• QuolQuol Member Posts: 192

Just throwing it in that Switch is unable to have voice coms, heck Switch DBD doesnt even have ingame chat.