Homeā€ŗ PTB Feedback Archivesā€ŗ 3.4.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Anyone else somewhat disappointed with the new killer?

I'm not saying in terms of aesthetics, but the power. I was hoping for something more original. A lot of players are calling The Oni a Hillbilly / Myers hybrid, and that's pretty close to how he plays.

I'd like the next killer to be one that can't be compared to any of the others due to how unique their power is.

Comments

• WuhelmWuhelm Member Posts: 260

I like him his dash feels a little sloppy but he's interesting to play against and with.

• immortalls96immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,211

I'm actually thrilled..made something cool and fun for their first home brewed killer in over 6 months..and looks like a potentially strong killer too..they've been finding a groove lately aside from nurse

• AhoyWolfAhoyWolf Member Posts: 1,966

I don't mind actually, I like his power, but maybe that is because I like Killers with high mobility in general.

• BBQnDemogorgonBBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,586

I think he's awesome honestly.

I just hope he doesn't get nerfed before release.

• WolfPad06WolfPad06 Member Posts: 182

I think the Oni is awesome.

His dash has a lot more steering than Billy and doesn't suffer from bumping into to walls, but it's a bit slower.

His demon strike breaks pallets quickly but it's hard to control and obscures most of your vision while charging.

He shares similarities with Myers, Billy and LF but is unique enough in my opinion.

The smartest design about him is his interactive cooldown with the blood orbs. It makes it feels less like a cooldown and has some built in utility with tracking.

I wish more killers were as interactive and fun to play asand against actually.

• copperslycoppersly Member Posts: 2,158

I think he is different enough to be a killer, but it's very clear to see the parts of him that were inspired/used from other killers.

I am mildly disappointed because I would've like to see a completely new power or mechanic that was interesting and powerful.

• HawkAyeTheNooHawkAyeTheNoo Member Posts: 471

Granted ive only see others play him but i'll be very disappointed if they've just put a slugging killer into the game.

• Venom368Venom368 Member Posts: 321

It is necessary to be able to compare a killer to other killers in order to gauge their relative power level.

Coming up with a 'unique' power that keeps their power level balanced is extremely harder than it sounds. Damage can only be dealt to people in 3 ways. Melee, some ranged attack, or with a damage over time effect. A power could affect damage, range, movement, generators, terror radius, or player size/vision. In order for a killer to not be comparable to any existing killer, they would have to have a power that affects none of those things. It would have to be something so completely abstract that it wouldn't even make sense to have in the game.

No matter what killer gets release, no matter how unique they are, they will be compared to one of the existing killers. That's just how the human brain works. The only way you would be able to experience such a unique killer would be if they released a new game mode with completely different objectives and team structure.

That's what it looks like they've done since his power shuts off if you pick someone up. They want to encourage the slug and chase someone else while others come pick the person up.

But it won't work like that since the change to 95% on the floor.

-Someone gets downed

-Oni tries to find someone else

-Other 2 work on generators till the floor person is 95%

-Pick them up and continue with almost no inconvenience

• MedicSpirit7MedicSpirit7 Member Posts: 440

His trailers were in reverse I was hoping for a reverse time power or something

Exactly. The main objective for survivors is boring, repetitive, and only challenging in the sense of how much you do the same thing over and over (i.e., requires no skill)

Killer powers are being limited by a powerbar system that forces them to play in extremely similar ways, and stops killers from having fluid powers.

If they really want to expand and try new killers and powers they are going to need to change the main objectives and also stop limiting themselves artificially with a band-aid solution.

• GodDamn_AngelaGodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 1,598

Nop

• IcemanIceman Member Posts: 1,413

No, I’m low key jealous because this would have been an awesome legion concept. They are psychopath killers. So them collecting blood and going on a rampage would have been nice šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

I still think they need to tie it to something similar with the video we got of Legion. Like changing mid-match and getting different powers or something.

Anything that gets the point across that they are LEGION, not some guy named legion by himself chasing 4 survivors....

• ZtarShotZtarShot Member Posts: 633

I don't remeber amyone complaining when ghostface had stalking when Myers could do the same.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 2,852

I also think he is ok. Im getting a bit pee peed of the obscured vision you have when doing the demon strike actually. So far I did not get comfy with it, still feels like super easy to dodge becasue it is almost luck if you see the survivor or not, if he doesnt run in a straight line or hugs the loop

He just may need a bit adjustments in the amount of blood you need and get. He starts slowly, but quite early in the game he has enough blood around to be in demon mode for almost all the time. And that's a bit hard.

And another thing I would hardly recommend is to remove the power drain on picking up survivors. This forces the killer to slug, every game, multiple times, it really gets annoying. I don't get why this element was implemented. Like they wanted to limit the power somehow. "Here you got an ez kill, now go back to normal mode". Well, no. Noone does. As it is, I will definitely play him with Infectious Fright and beat the crab out of survivors, then hook the last one and see if I find more slugs to hook

• blueberryiceblueberryice Member Posts: 2

Its 50 50

• DevourOfSaltDevourOfSalt Member Posts: 235

Yh he seems like a let down just going suffer like every other killer loops.

They need more killers in terms of nurse or spirit or even more stealth killers that make you play differently

• ChuckyyoChuckyyo Member Posts: 65

I'm okay with his power and the theme.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I always wanted a vampire in the game. Now that another killer gets an ability that's directly connected to blood, I guess that won't happen for a long time.

• VetratheneVetrathene Member Posts: 814

Playing against him is actually scary once he gets his power. And I like that. He makes so much noise as he runs around looking for someone to bash their skull in. Its great.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 2,917

Mechanics seem limited so they gotta work with what they got.

• MathenMathen Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2019

Nerf killer please! His attack is to far! He can hit you like 230918203 meters away. I vaulted the windows so many times and stood far away, yet I got hit. That sucks.

• dejabluedejablue Member Posts: 16

I haven't even seen it yet. Too busy crying on the floor trying to do these challenges.

• SpaceCoconutSpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

This isn't exactly true.

Overwatch has 30+ characters and they all shoot projectiles as far as I know.

The problem is actually the core game, not the characters and their powers.

=Survivors have one objective which limits the amount of time a killer has to affect the match.

=Balance focus isn't on higher skill tiers of play. (Big topic)

=Perk design tries to fix problems rather than enhance gameplay.

=Match objective ranking makes player ranking muddy in regards to collecting data for balance. (task based v skill based)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

• Pokerface303Pokerface303 Member Posts: 110

I think he feels different enough, his dash isn't the same as the chainsaw which was what I was worried about. Since it has a different charge time, movement, lunge, flick him and billy are going to play differently. Ghost face is a example of a killer that is basically a straight rip off. You can crouch and salk and thats it nothing unique about him.

Did you mean to reply to my comment or someone else's? I wasn't discussing anything having to do with issues in the game lol

• SpaceCoconutSpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

To yours.

My point with the post was to debate about your comment

"Coming up with a 'unique' power that keeps their power level balanced is extremely harder than it sounds. Damage can only be dealt to people in 3 ways. Melee, some ranged attack, or with a damage over time effect. A power could affect damage, range, movement, generators, terror radius, or player size/vision. In order for a killer to not be comparable to any existing killer, they would have to have a power that affects none of those things. It would have to be something so completely abstract that it wouldn't even make sense to have in the game."

I pointed out a game where it isn't an issue and focused on the style of attack that every character in that game has (guns) and pointed out that the devs were able to create 30+ variations of it while keeping things balanced and diverse.

Then I went on to point out why the abilities aren't the problem in dbd but the core mechanics were.

So in short I pointed out that you might be incorrect about the difficulty in diverse abilities in the game being tied to other characters but instead being limited by the core aspects of the game instead.

ie They can't add a flying killer because it would completely break the game. This is because the game is focused on the chase as the core gameplay loop. If characters could traverse walls or have more mobility options and have more objectives, a flying killer might not break the game.

Ok, gotcha. My comment was mainly about the line OP stated:

I'd like the next killer to be one that can't be compared to any of the others due to how unique their power is.

I was saying that no matter what, you are going to be able to compare characters. Especially in Overwatch, that's the case. Every single can be compared to another character. (I.e. when Ashe came out, she was heavily compared to Mcree and Widowmaker)

I wasn't saying that the difficulty of creating a unique ability, or the inability to create a killer that is incomparable to another is an issue with the game at all. That's why I was confused as to why you brought up issues with the game in the first place.

But yeah, the last line I stated in my post was "The only way you would be able to experience such a unique killer would be if they released a new game mode with completely different objectives and team structure." which I think we are in agreement on. I was trying to make it clear that the core game design limits the diversity of what you can do with killer design, and that's perfectly fine.