The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why do killers tunnel?

13»

Comments

• SanrainerSanrainer Member Posts: 6

The new archive stuff has been forcing some killers into just tunneling with ebony's etc to achieve some of the "must be done in a single trial" criteria

Personally as bad as I feel when I'm trying a new killer if I am still learning I'll just rotate onto the weaker survivors if they keep showing up which usually results in tunneling especially when they farm them off hook without BT

• Frank_SrirachaFrank_Sriracha Member Posts: 74

If you're getting tunneled consistently, it's either because you're an easy target or very annoying to play against. Most killers don't tunnel intentionally and if they do it's their best option to apply pressure for the other survivors. Sometimes you gotta go for the Bill that can't loop, it's free pressure and vision for anyone running BBQ.

• Putting it in a very simple way, it's easier. Someone already has 1 hook out of the way, people are off gens trying to help them, they are injured by default, etc etc.

I find, especially in games with no obsession, I tunnel each and every survivor just to make kills quicker and cleaner rather than switching target. It's inefficient at times but more often than not, you're killing the guy you want much faster. Only real protections aside from bodyblocking or trying to bait the killer are Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike directly, and Babysitter in a more indirect way.

• Jholla31Jholla31 Member Posts: 92

I soft tunnel when someone is BMing (i.e. flashlight spamming to get attention or mock a pallet stun, teabagging, fast vaulting over and over across the map, etc.).

By soft tunnel, I mean that person is going to die even if nobody else does. I don't make it obvious, but if I see 3 survivors in the same place, I know who I'm going after. If they want to unhook that person in my face when I had no intentions of camping, I'll wait 15 seconds for BT and down them again, then wait out DS. They will not get up unless they make a perfect Unbreakable play.

I think tunneling is bad for the health of gameplay and for other peoples' fun. But if you want to try to ruin my game by BMing, I'll make sure your game is even more miserable.

• FrostanceFrostance Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2019

Is there anything a killer can do other than just let you escape to make survivors happy? The only thing I think is wrong is face camping. If you're circling around and losing sight of the hook that's good enough for me. Why wouldn't a killer tunnel? Each time they hang you they are closer to a kill. We are suppose to get kills right? Some Survivors want to be tunneled,then the other three do the gens. When you use loops to run a killer all over that's fine, when you body block them that's fine too. But if a killer actually kills you, heaven forbid, they did something wrong. If they didn't face camp you, then take your loss and just go on to your next try.

• AvisDeeneAvisDeene Member Posts: 1,368

I’m still a new player and I’m not very good in general. I find that if I get rid of the weakest links sooner than later, it makes it easier to deal with the “Pro Loopers” in SWFs.

If you blind me or click your flashlight over and over, and I know there are not many pallets left, I will tunnel you. Heck, blinding me aggravated me so much I’m just going to return the favor. I play wraith so I get stunned when cloaked too.

If you try to bait me at the beginning of the match to chase you, I’ll make you think I’m about to tunnel you but then do a 180 and look for easier meat.

• RIP_LegionRIP_Legion Member Posts: 425

Put simply most killers will do it when the match is getting down to the wire and they really want that win or extra kill or just do it from the start either because they're angry about something you might not have even had any part in or they want to just secure the game pretty quick. With Bubba you can face camp like no other and depending on how quickly you get the first person you can face camp them and take them out asap, the most they can do is around 2 gens give or take with just 3 people while one is on the hook.

• JesseJH28JesseJH28 Member Posts: 40

Same. If I'm not in a chase when someone is unhooked and haven't seen anyone on any gens that I've patrolled while they were on the hook, I now know where two survivors are... I'd be an idiot not to go after one of them. So I get back to the hook and follow some scratch marks if I see any. If I happen to run into the person I just had on the hook, they should learn to hide better. I'm not just gonna walk away cause they couldn't hide...

• KnotsKnots Member Posts: 38

Like 80% of "tunneling" I see other survs complaining about was really the team making a really unsafe save. The killer downs the guy that was on hook again because you are right there and easier to chase.

I don't buy that tunneling is somehow a good strategy overall or an overpowered one. Like if you are on purpose focusing a surv down you should reconsider. A freshly unhooked surv should generally not be your main priority - instead, the best way to "build pressure" is really to get into another chase asap with a healthy survivor off a gen.

If one surv is getting healed, one surv is healing them, and one surv is about to get downed by you, that leaves only 1 surv doing gens. That is how you put altruism to work for you as a killer. Even in the case where I get to hook in time to find the one surv healing the other, I usually feel it is more optimum to chase the healthy guy and leave the damaged surv to run off panicked.

If a killer can't find anyone but the damaged surv tho it does make sense to down them and rehook them in the end.

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,248

Tunneling is usually the fastest way to kill a survivor. The best way to put pressure on the survivor team is reducing the number of survivors.

You can compare it to repairing gens: It makes sense to repair one gen completely and then move on to a new gen instead of repairing every gen 30% before finishing one.

• OrchidOrchid Member Posts: 38

I avoid tunneling when i play killer even if they bring flashlights and they are toxic. I sometimes do it by accident, for example when there are 2 claudettes i forget who got unhooked so i down her by accident (and i get DSed anyways). But that rarely happens to not realise who i chase. And killers tunnel in general so they can assure a kill. It is scummy and i hate it, ruins the fun for everyone. But who tunnels is selfish because he/she doesn t think about how the tunneled person feels. It s like ruining his/her game. And there is no excuse for this, like some killers say "i have no other choice", yes u do have other choices. Chase the rescuer and slug him and go back to the rescued survivor. This stops 2 people from doing gens.

• ViceusViceus Member Posts: 51

cuz they are never play any survivor and then they do tunnel,camp, and slug as killer. very smart answer from me

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 2,117

Whenever I play survivor, I get tunneled. It sucks. I get tunneled out if I'm the first one hooked. If the killer hooks a couple survivors, lets them go, then hooks me, for some reason he decides to then tunnel me out. Maybe it's because I'm the weak link. I dunno. I'm certainly not toxic. I just seem to have "tunnel me" stamped across my forehead.

It doesn't happen very often, but if I cleanse a hex at the beginning of the match, I pretty much expect to be tunneled out. Hell, if the killer sees that I found the hex and stops me from cleansing it, I expect to be tunneled out just for knowing its location. Knowing a hex totem's location is basically knowing the killer's Achilles heel: if they don't immediately get rid of the survivor then they're soon going to find themselves down a perk.

As killer, I usually play in a very generous manner. I try to go easy on the weak links, because they're either very inexperienced or having an unlucky match. I'm not going to have fun if I slaughter them, so I might as well help them have fun.

If I tunnel a survivor, it's because they were ruining someone else's fun or they cost me a hook. If a survivor does something to get in the way of me hooking another survivor, then I can't just let them stay in the game, it'd be too costly. I can ignore BMers and loopers and go after someone else, but I can't ignore a survivor who prevents me from hooking someone else unless I just want to turn it into a slug fest... which is also sometimes my response.

• StrickxNyneStrickxNyne Member Posts: 169

It sucks and it's part of the game. When you finally have people with borrowed time and get good enough to ditch that tunneling sucker or use things like DS, the killers will come here, pretend they never do it and cry that things like DS should be nerfed and it'll happen.

Personally I think borrowed time, DS should be built into a survivor. Having to waste 2 skill slots to keep people from being toxic is stupid and the claim from terrible killers will be, well use those and then you can't rush 🙄🙄🙄.

Yes there's always a few who'll abuse ds etc but there's way more face campers and tunnelers who are rewarded for doing it.

Essentially by the time you get good enough to dodge the nonsense it'll get a nerf or killer buff to force you to get good at getting away again rinse and repeat. Red rank survivors apparently dictate game play for the rest of us. Each color rank should have its own buffs/nerfs instead of it being widespread. Clearly we suck at Grey and green so give both killers and survivors buffs to stop each other and make purple work harder and reds work the hardest. Honestly the fairest way to handle the entire nerf/buff debacle

• luka2211luka2211 Member Posts: 745

Some people do it for reasons unknown to me,i do it if i am on the backfoot aka 3 gens done no one is dead or 4 gens done no one is dead,even then i try to play nice and feel like it backfires on me alot

• ZtarShotZtarShot Member Posts: 349

Love getting tunneled whenyou run a killer around a pallet or you get a flashlight save.

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 838

I tunnel when i'm doing adept achievement, and the situation doesn't looking good for me.

You gotta use everything available to get that achievement.. even those strategies are not fun for survivors

But in normal games, i don't except toxic OoO user that runs towards you at the start of the match. I'll do anything to make sure he dies

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 283

Ez win. No recourse. Because he hates all of you and he wants you to DC for the lawls

• FrenziedRoachFrenziedRoach Member Posts: 1,608

Why do killers tunnel?

You might as well ask why survivors gen rush.

It's silly to ask why somebody works toward their game objective....

• CrowFoxyCrowFoxy Member Posts: 851

The only time I tunnel is when I notice despite good pressure the generators are still popping crazy fast. Usually 2 gens left by a 3-4 min mark.

I take that opportunity to try and single out a 1k so the other 3 are now much more pressured and can't do gens as easily. Generally, I don't like to tunnel however. I find it pretty toxic. I also have a habit of purposefully eating DS if I have 5 gens left, because that way they won't have it later on.

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 1,442

I don't see how a killer would even get a single kill without tunneling when survivors actually do the objective all the time.

• MerleCashJrMerleCashJr Member Posts: 1

All these salty losers who send messages to killers either complaining about "tunneling or camping or whatever strategy you don't like cause it made you lose" really need to get out of Granny's basement, watch a horror movie or two and stop wasting everyone's time. Your trash talking game is the only thing weaker than your ability to out run me. It's pathetic that you feel the need to cuss others for their choice in strategy. I will tunnel you, camp on your hook, whatever I have to do to get the kill. That's what a killer would do. Get over it or find another game.

• bendermacbendermac Member Posts: 639

Purely tunneling one person can be a daily (mori one survivor) or just being not nice to the first survivor they encounter or it's revenge on a game you or someone else was toxic in their mind, but you are the poor guy who has to deal with it.

Don't think too much about it. Just loop them hard, if your game is up or go on or the next game.

• PoochkipsPoochkips Member Posts: 159

The only time I can actually say I tunnel or even do, is if someone is breaking hooks. That's when I need to eliminate the problem because they are stalling time very well. If i get flashlighted, eh, i just start facing walls. Sometimes it happens, others not so much

• Seltas0208Seltas0208 Member Posts: 898

OK so here's the scenario :

As a killer you get the notification that someone has been unhooked, it's nearby so you go back to check as it's a guaranteed place that two survivors are gonna be around. You find them both. Do you go for the uninjured survivor and start a chase while letting the other heal? Or do you risk facing a ds and/or borrowed time in order to get another down and apply more pressure/make your job easier?

• hocruxhocrux Member Posts: 196

Tbh nothing more needed be done in regards to tunneling, devs already tried to balance it by introducing perks like decisive strike/borrowed time. If your teammate does not block a hit for you it's their fault for going for the unhook, and if the killer is not within the terror radius, it's your fault for not getting away