Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The Bottom Line Of Hook Suiciding

Comments

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 11,899

I mean, it's hindsight and in the past, so c'est la vie, but I'd say that you were actively creating a negative experience for your teammates.

No I haven't? Your point is that you can't punish people for hook suiciding because they are using legitimate game mechanics to do so, but you can punish someone who is legitimately dropping pallets left and right just to be a troll to their teammates, which is using legitimate methods. So that argument doesn't really work for me.

• OutlandOutland Member Posts: 535

OK I'll give you that pallet misuse can be trolly. But there is always just jumping in and out of a locker to get noticed. And there is always just running around and looking for the Killer.

Gets the job done without using up resources.

• MightyDwightMightyDwight Member Posts: 156

The problem is that you can't look to every reason people DC/Hook Suicide:

People will DC/Suicide for any of these:

Don't like the Killer

Don't like Killer's perks

Don't like the map

Don't like being found first

Don't like being 'camped' or 'tunneled' even if they are not camped or tunneled.

Don't like being pulled off a gen

etc. etc.

As long as they have a 'legitimate' way out (Hook suicide); they will do it. For all the same reasons they DC. And almost every reason is self-entitled BS and 'Well, I should not have to play a match I'm not having fun in'.

Hint: Yes you should. It's called good sportsmanship. You stay to help your team. Do you see quarterbacks in football stomp off the field & refuse to play if they get sacked too much? No? Because they have sportsmanship.

When you log in, you're making a commitment to NOT be a complete douche. This means:

No cheating. No griefing. No abusing glitches.

NO RUINING OTHER HUMAN GOD DAMN BEINGS FUN. THIS INCLUDES NOT DISCONNECTING/SUICIDING LIKE SCRUB BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE <X> KILLER/PERK/MAP

So yes, you CAN force people to play a match, because they don't matter more than the OTHER 4 people playing, and they should not play AT ALL if they are going to act like a toddler and ragequit, regardless of HOW they ragequit.

People who ragequit, be it DC or hook-suicide, are nothing more than selfish, entitled a-holes who DO NOT CARE about anyone by themselves. They are NOT the type of people who should be defended or encouraged in any way, shape or form. They are the type of people who RUIN GAMES for everyone else.

I'm not talking about ways to get the Killer's attention without using up pallets. I'm talking about people who knowingly and deliberately screw their team over by using up pallets.

Let me ask you this then: When the devs incorporate the husk system, what reason would there be to punish Survivors who DC?

You and I went over this in another post about the same topic. I'm almost sure it's a direct copy paste, but don't care to check on that.

DbD is not a team sport.

In the end my play style will reflect MY DESIRES, whether that be , being altruistic and rescuing people even when I leave myself dead on the hook, or the opposite where I wait out your last hook so I can get the hatch.

And again no amount of name calling and shaming on your part has any effect on how a person likes to play.

And one might say that you expecting someone to play how YOU want them to play, makes you the entitled one.

• MightyDwightMightyDwight Member Posts: 156

Yeah but DC punishments are coming.

After that, only Survivors are allowed to ragequit. Killers will be expected to play every match from start to finish, even if they are bullied nonstop by SWF-squads and trolling memelords.

But people will STILL sit here and say it's fine for Survivors to leave early via hook suicide while Killers are screwed.

Now, I think DCing & hook suicides are only for toddlers who can't play a game like a real adult, but if they are actually never going to look at hook suicides, then Killers should be able to DC without punishment for all the same reasons (Don't like a survivor's perks/the map/a playstyle/etc.)

And I agreed that using up pallets can be bad. That's why I made the same argument about getting found using lockers, that don't use up a resource.

Some people can't take "you're right" for an answer.

edited November 2019

It's not just about using up pallets being bad. It's about being punished for technically using a legitimate game mechanic. The way I see it, if that can apply to repeated trolling/griefing through wasting pallets, it can also apply to excessive hook suicides.

• JesseJH28JesseJH28 Member Posts: 477

As much as I dislike when people kill themselves on first hook, I do think it's warranted under some conditions, but only after giving your team time to react. As a solo player (swf is annoying and a lot less fun on both sides imo) I occasionally have teammates who don't care whether or not I live. If I can see all of my living teammates' auras across the map and they quite obviously aren't going to come save me from the hook and go from one gen to the next instead, then yeah I'm gonna use my escape attempts and die. Otherwise I really am just wasting my time waiting for nothing. Maybe if struggling granted more bloodpoints I'd struggle and give them more time, but when they're not reacting to me on the hook then there's just no point

• TheAntiSantaTheAntiSanta Member Posts: 122

Yea, no. I don't get payed as much as a quarterback to play this video game.

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,847

This is a problem that any cure would be worse than the disease. Just finish the match to the best of your abilities and move on.

"Can" in this case means "is a punishable offense."

That's not what I said. Who knows what BHVR will ultimately find punishable. But right now there exists a mechanic where if I no longer wish to play the trial. I can without breaking any game mechanics choose to leave early without wasting any more time in a match I deem unfun.

CURRENTLY there is no punishment for using that route out. If they change that then yeah it can be punished.

My point is that BHVR in my opinion will never chase that kind of behaviour. The are punishing Dc's and I do not see it going any further.

You obviously feel that another human should be forced to continue to play to make YOU happy.

And they better play hard too, no just going with the flow.

I've played where people die quickly and I agree , the game gets harder and most of the time unless the Killer goes easy, it ends in my death. So I know what you are saying.

My point is that those people whether they suicided or just failed to struggle accidentally, played the game the way they like, and I don't feel they should be punished for making my game a bit harder.

Just checked the report section. "Purposefully losing the game" is a reportable offense under "Unsportsmanlike conduct."

SO...........

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,151

They should change the 2nd hook phase from a button mash to just another waiting game like the 1st phase. Keep the entity attack animation, but don't make people either button mash or not press anything to suicide.

• MegMain98MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,822

100% agreed with you.

Sometimes my finger slips. Sometimes my hands are sweaty. Sometimes my teammates are knuckleheads and crouch around and I just wanna move onto the next match. Sometimes it’s just me and one other survivor and I let them get the hatch. The game lags out and I die.

One time I had an old controller and it would just not recognize my inputs so I died A LOT on second hook because of it, so I had to get a new controller.

What if the player is new and legit doesn’t know NOT to struggle?

There is way too many variables to decipher a “hook suicide” from accidents or a new player.

You will never be able to force players to play something they don’t want to. If hook suicides are punished they’ll just AFK against Iridescent Head or something really overwhelmingly powerful. It won’t be fun for anybody.

• Mellow7Mellow7 Member Posts: 792

Oh yea? What if the killer doesn't wanna play the match anymore should he just AFK in a corner and deny survivor a pip and points? Nah didn't think so. Suicide on hook should have consequences as well it's literally an exploit for DC.

• MegMain98MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,822

This is a video game, not a job.

If my teammates let me get to second phase because they’re crouching around not fixing gens, not getting chased, not doing ANYTHING, and I’m not getting camped then I’m letting myself go on the hook. Sorry not sorry.

You will never force players to play against something they don’t like, they’ll AFK. Not saying this is right but you can’t force players to play against broken mess. If worse comes to worse they’ll just leave the game :/

Talk about your impossible to punish rules. Everyone at some point in this game has broken that rule. A killer that gives a survivor the hatch or walks them to the edge of the exit. Anyone who hasn't struggled on the hook to give another survivor a chance at the hatch. People who are just plain tired of trying to finish one gen of a three gen situation.

People WILL NOT play a round where they are not having any fun. They will always bow out via the hook.

Would you face it, BHVR IS NOT GOING TO PUNISH hook suicide. No matter how much you feel its warranted.

Your reasoning faulty.

AFKing in the corner is actually something the devs have always punished. This is how the bots problem was squashed. But there is nothing stopping the Killer from just running around in the map.

No where does it say the Killer must swing his weapon.

No doubt you have been reading my responses thus far so I'll not repeat it here, but just point you to my other responses for more on this topic.

• Mellow7Mellow7 Member Posts: 792

It's still an exploit and shouldn't be allowed just because it's in the game.

• xChaosXAnge1xxChaosXAnge1x Member Posts: 9

So first off this is my first post so go easy on me and I'm dyslexic so don't be like you can't spell as yeah I'm dyslexic your point but I'm a solo player and I enjoy playing surviver and I've had games like others where u get caught straight away and get hooked and after getting hooked your assume your be saved well first of if your being camped no one wants to and that fine u wait out timer and your team gets gens agreed that's what u should do but there are other games I get hooked not camped and where's my team no where not even doing gens so I gotta sit there and hang ? And not rush hook to die no I'm not staying there for no reason when I could be playing another game

Not really an exploit. The self dehook is a legit attempt to continue the the game. And the failure to struggle, is iffy at best. I have a friend who legit screws up his struggle all the time.

So I'll fall on the "nah its not" side of the fence.

• Atrushan88Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited November 2019

I think it's kind of silly you're saying this when you don't even know that the people hook suiciding are the people making these "youtube epic montages", and there are just as many videos of killers as there are of survivors, I'm sure.

I get that you just wanna use your ebony mori to deny survivors BP in a game while also being a jerk and crab walking left and right between your hook waiting on them to be unhooked, but I'm not gonna deal with that. If I'm not gonna get much BP, I'm getting out of the game as quickly as possible because it's a waste of a game. There will be no fun in it for me, and I don't want to give you the satisfaction of being a jerk. We're most likely not gonna get 5 gens done anyways, and you're likely gonna get your 3 or 4k, so I'm just gonna die on my hook, unless I kobe, and then you can run straight to the hook and kill me like you intended so I can get out.

• rch614rch614 Member Posts: 551

It's good enough that straight dc'ing will start to be punished. Dc'ing was by far the easiest way to get out of the match early, but it definitely wasn't the only way.

Let's say they find a way to punish hook suicides. Next best thing? Seek out the killer when you get saved so you can get hooked again. Or afk. Afking already is punishable, but I can't see a way they'd punish "throwing". And if they did, well, queue times are already bad right now.

The bottom line is yes dc'ing and suicide are the same things but in the end you really can't force someone to play a game they really don't want to. Best way to address this kind of behavior is for the devs to work on -why- people leave the match early. Not how. They'll always find a way.