Home Discussions General Discussions
The September 2020 Developer Update is now available.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194208

On 99% Exit Gates - one possible change

Comments

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,194

I agree.

Step One: Fix Ranking System, Killer can pip on 2k at any rank please

Step Two: Base game balance on pip rate of certain killers and pip rate of survivors facing them.

Devs need to stick to their guns that they don't care whether or not survivors escape

• NobsydeNobsyde Member Posts: 1,047
    edited December 2019

Remember that my suggestion is to regress to 90%, not less. A gate is opened in 20 seconds, meaning that the last 10% needs just 2 seconds.

Survivors can still counter EGC / bloodwarden, but they would need to be slightly more careful, and that would be enough to have a more interesting end game sometimes.

For example, I can imagine that stealth killers would become much more frightening if you don't open the doors.

• NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 7,289

Exit Gates allows the killer to use BW if it's opened.

The EGC starts when the Exit Gates are opened.

The problem is BW effectively removes 60 seconds from the clock, and that's the main reason why many people don't like the 99% thing to get removed. 😕

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,194

Ok...sorry for asking. I forgot all you people treat us like we're stupid. I'm not getting a straight answer from you no matter how I ask, am I?

edited December 2019

edit

• MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Member Posts: 179

What a silly statement usually if it gets to that point the killer is camping whatever survivor they have hooked if any

• NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 7,289

Maybe I miss understood the question, what do you want me to answer? Let's start over.

I probably got confused by a pronoun and assumed you wanted this when you actually wanted that.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 2,730
    edited December 2019

What’s wrong with the way it is now?

I use BW sometimes and I have no issues opening the gate myself. You just gotta position yourself properly.

If anything maybe the last gen about to pop can light up red, kind of like a Tinkerer effect so you know which gate would be best to open.

Post edited by Johnny_XMan on
    edited December 2019

Again, my suggestion is not aimed at Bloodwarden - yes it could help (but imho most likely won't), but that would be a side effect.

In a normal scenario what would happen is that a survivor is hooked not that close to a gate, now here's what happens:

one or two exit gates are 99%, one survivor is hooked and the others are healing up, readying up for the save. Now the killer can choose if to camp (most likely scenario) or try to down another survivor.

Camping killer

Survivors, once ready, go all near the hook, try to bodyblock the killer until the survivor is eventually unhooked with borrowed time (or even without it - usually killers won't hit the hooked survivor just because of the thought of BT). Now survivors run towards the 99% exit gate, and the first to reach it just needs a tap and everyone is saved.

With my change, the Exit Gate needs 2 seconds to open, meaning that the first survivor to reach the gate needs to have at least a 2 seconds of killer walking speed advantage on the killer, otherwise he won't be able to open the exit gates in time.

Survivors can easily counter this problem by opening the Exit Gate before going for the save. However now if they fail for some reason the unhooking, and someone else is downed, they have the problem of the EGC - raising the stress for the team and, of course, risking a bloodwarden.

Try to down another survivor

There can be situations where camping wouldn't be needed, maybe because you already know where an injured survivor is, maybe because you are very confident on your skill.. Either way, with a 99% door any injured survivor can easily escape once they see the killer coming, there's absolutely no risk involved. In other words, the killer will most likely lose both the chased survivor and the hooked one.

With a 90% exit gate the killer has a bit more plays at his disposal though.

To summarise, 99% vs 90% can change things and increase the risk/reward ratio (which right now is totally unbalanced toward the reward side). As it is now there's basically nothing to debate: the correct play is to 99% an exit gate, not to open it if not absolutely necessary.

With my change survivors need to make a choice - which should be a good thing gameplay wise:

• open it, and increase the chances for your escape, but decrease the chances for everyone's (especially the hooked ones)
    • leave it at 90%, and slightly decrease your chances to escape, but give more time for the team to save everyone

EDIT: also note that I think, but I may be wrong, that Devs don't really acknowledge the 99% tactic right now, proof being their Master Challenges where it is asked to unhook survivors during the EGC. But Gates are 99% all the time, so yeah, some considerations on this should be made.

• ygneaygnea Member Posts: 116

If you're camping EGC doesn't affect you at all lmfao? What is your point?

• RevansithRevansith Member Posts: 367

So a new player at rank 20 with one yellow perk for the new character finally survives to the last generator and lo, the Find the Exit appears... are they really going to know to stop at 99% in case whoever the killer is may be running BW?

And I am talking a solo player with no friends in the game yet. As regards opening the gate itself, I open them. I dont care about BW because to play assuming the killer "always" has one nasty perk is crazy.

The number of times I have been at the opening the gate part and been downed at 95% complete... smh

• MrsGhostfaceMrsGhostface Member Posts: 446

There’s nothing wrong with being able to 99 a door when killers can open it themselves

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,226

No one 99's to avoid EGC. It's literally for avoiding Bloodwarden. The second the person gets put on hook, the gates typically open immediately afterward if someone is on it

• HeroLivesHeroLives Member Posts: 1,710

thats a no from me , for several reasons.

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,781

No. The entire EGC is favoring killers. They don't need this. There is absolutely nothing unfair about 99'ing an exit gate.

• DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 1,577

Clearly, you haven't truly played killer if you think either one of those perks is a valid reason to abandon a hooked survivor to go open a gate.

I don’t know what rank are you on, but I assure you that at high ranks this is far from true.

Can you tell us a couple of those ^^?

• wladimiiirwladimiiir Member Posts: 137

EGC should start as soon as all generators are repaired, IMHO.

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,571

What's the problem with 99ing the exit gates? I see a lot of things where survivors would need nerfs, but imho this isn't one of them.

edited December 2019

You can lose out on potential kills by cutting the match shorter

killer can guard the doors until egc counts out

noed

I think in the end it will be about the same results for both sides as it is now, so why change the coding for it? Just seems like unnecessary work, where their efforts could be put to better use.

• meatisadelicacymeatisadelicacy Member Posts: 617

No. EGC is already a huge change that favors killers. Open the gate yourself if you want to apply pressure.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 962

I could very well just fully regress in 2 minutes so still quite slowly and you need very little time to open it from the start anyway.

I don’t understand any of the points you made, I’ll be honest - are you sure you’ve read correctly what I propose to change?

it seems to me you are afraid of an early EGC, which is not the case. For example, what does “the killer could guard the doors until egc counts out” mean in this context?

As for the “devs have better things to do” part - I couldn’t disagree more. Devs have exactly this to do: balance the game and add nuances to gameplay. Programming wise I seriously doubt this would be “a lot of work”, it’s not like I’m asking for a 8 vs 2 mode :)

edited December 2019

That's not what I want. I want survivors to have to make a choice, instead of having an optimal strategy that works 100% of the time.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 2,042

99ing shouldnt be a thing.

And BW could queue its activation once doors are powered. Like adrenaline on hooked survivors.

edited December 2019

If YOU want the doors open as soon as the last gen pops then go open it yourself. They made it where you can do it ya know.You CAN , I’ve done it. If you don’t understand any of my points,then that sounds like a personal problem to me. What I wrote is legible.

if the last survivor is up the killer will usually go back and forth by the doors until the last survivor dies to egc, which is fair I guess. I don’t like the idea of being put on a timer to get a door open when the killer can essentially do the same thing, or noed is active. Sure it’s easier with more survivors, but I mean how many ways do you want a killer to capitalize off sitting in a single spot almost?

the survivors have won at that point, why make it even harder than it is now to get out , when the kill rate is already so high?

• FruityMemesFruityMemes Member Posts: 51

I'm pretty sure that's why the doors open kinda slow the gates aren't really a big deal tbh

I don’t understand your points because they are not detailed enough to be understandable. The cat on the moon asked the hitchhiker if during the summer it was ready is “legible” as well, you know :)

For example now you are talking about 1v1 situations after the hatch has been closed - that’s a fair point, but you weren’t talking about it before. If you thought you were, you need to realise that people can’t read your mind.

I hope this will help you in the future, take care and merry Christmas.

• meatisadelicacymeatisadelicacy Member Posts: 617

Just open the gates yourself then. If the reason survivors 99 the gates is so that they can try to make saves without the pressure of the EGC which heavily favors the killers, OPEN THE GATE.

• concious_consumerconcious_consumer Member Posts: 282

??

EGC is already killer sided af, gates spawn is killer sided af.

If anything pls add tiny cat door in the gates just so I could crawl away from slug