The 3.5.0 update is starting to roll out today! For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/121902/
Please be sure to check here before reporting any new issues: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/122269/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Oni ''flick'' changes

Comments

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 5,020

Addons with downsides are the best kind of addons.

Remember, ideally addons will be completely unneeded, and there is a limit to how strong a Killer can be before it becomes problematic, regardless of the rarity. Prayer beads, iridescent hatchet and Mori's are great examples of this gone wrong.

So for a Killer to have super strong addons and be balanced their basekit needs to be weaker, however we don't want this. So it's much better for the Killer to instead have weak addons and thus their basekit can afford to be stronger.

• WolfPad06WolfPad06 Member Posts: 177

So was the flick intended? Was it not intended?

There is a thread were Janik initially states it was never intended and few posts later, in the same thread, he says you should be able to flick 90 degrees as intended. What?

Also it was not mentioned, but Scott Jund demonstrated you can only flick at the last few frames of the attack of the demon dash, so instead of going a sharp 90 degree turn it's more of a slow 10 degree curve for 95% of the attack and then a sharp 90 degree turn on the last moment, which means if the survivor turn a corner they cannot get hit at all since you'll overshoot them initially while trying to turn and then just smash in their general direction but meters away from where they are.

I hope your upcoming change reverts this, as you're planning, because right now the Oni feels like you're trying to turn a 16 wheeler around a Micky D's drive thru.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2019

@NuclearBurrito Still don't get your point before, that made no sense.

Prayer beads got changed for a reason and iridiscent hatchets are only OP in combination with the +2 belt (which of course everyone combines). But that's it. People complain more about Clowns exhaustion gas (which is uncommon) than about Scratched mirror, even a lot of people love to play against scratched mirror.

The Demogorgon addon is nice with slower teleport but longer stealth. Less map control but you get a different playstyle and may place your portals differently and get some free hits. But beneath that he has still the Shred for the chase. The Oni has nothing until he has downed two survivors. Not sure if the aura reading helps out this much compared with being double the time in Demon Mode. That's why I think the duration should be at least long enough to catch a view on it, without rotating your camera 180 degrees per second.

• KerowajKerowaj Member Posts: 3

Or you know, you could just make mouse and keyboard inputs not stack and leave his power as it was.

Not making conflicting statements on forum in the span of minutes would be also nice.

Also, the glove addon is pretty weak now, it's on the level of power of speed limiter, so now oni is a killer with the most useless ultra rare addons in the game right now.

• WolfPad06WolfPad06 Member Posts: 177
    edited December 2019
  • NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 5,020

Why would people complain about Scratched mirror? It has an appropriate downside which when combined with the upside makes for a really fun playstyle. If the addon was just free info with no downside then it would be extremely unfun and boring.

As for this addon I think you missed the part where the orbs stack the duration. So if they run into 3 orbs all at once they will be revealed for 6 seconds, and if they run into a cluster of 20 then you won't be losing sight of them any time soon.

• anarchy753anarchy753 Member Posts: 2,111

Thank god for these changes. The flick was insanely overpowered. It took basically no skill to use oni with it.

• monkamonka Member Posts: 46

ps4

90 does not turn.

Nothing has changed.

Was it really adjusted?

• NeotNeot Member Posts: 14

can anyone explain to me, so Oni will have better turn rate than Hillbilly now right? I had to refund the DLC because it's hard to control him while using demon dash, which is the same reason I don't play Hillbilly.

• NegiNegi Member Posts: 121

Was hoping he would be better to play on console but he still feels weird to play except now I have less control during the dash.

• IAMGODSTOMPERIAMGODSTOMPER Member Posts: 2

this is ridiculous never has a killer been nerfed twice so quickly this game will eventually have no one wanting to play killer because it seems its all about the survivor. I play both sides and i find the survivors always have the advantage when they bring certain items.

• snozersnozer Member Posts: 409

Get rid of the lunge you added to the dash attack.

Before this nerf to a loopable killer, you would instantly attack out of the dash if you tapped m1, now he will do a small lunge no matter what. this just allows survivors to just 360 the oni.

Who am i kidding, these devs balance around "FUN" and spinning in a circle around the killer is fun for survivors, so balance achieved right?

• Thanatos_xThanatos_x Member Posts: 194

They are currently working on controller sensitivity

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 1,414

Therein lies the problem with generally balancing around the lowest common denominator majority's nebulous concept of "fun" in a pvp game: many players define "fun" as "I win". They should have long ago clearly defined what a win is for each side and balanced around fair win rates for higher skilled players. You know, like every other pvp game does.

• KenshinKenshin Member Posts: 912

but thats what makes dbd and bhvr so special: being something else than every other game!

• Viracocha72Viracocha72 Member Posts: 205

What are you talking about? I was able to do a 90 degree flick all night since the changes.

• TheDarkWallTheDarkWall Member Posts: 88

As was I. The flick on console feels about the same as what we had. The difference that seems noticeable is the turn rate is better for the demon dash outside of the flick. So console more or less got a net buff while pc got a nerf bringing both version of the character into the same space. I do think the flick should have remained a bit stronger than it currently is however, if only to rationalize the time it takes to get the power and the fact that it was a very technical aspect of the character that made him strong enough to go vs strong teams.

• joker7997joker7997 Member Posts: 585

@peanuts I appreciate the speedy way you guys have moved on the oni, can nurse on console get a similar adjustment to be more sensitive so that she can be more viable on console? I haven't played against a nurse in months.

• JanickJanick Dev Posts: 136

Its never been intended, I can confirm. We found the problem during PTB. (when using the LEFT-RIGHT key). The live patch didn't fix the problem, the sensitivity settings were overriding the implemented penalty (so basically anyone using 100% sensitivity were pretty much playing the same way it was on the ptb).

Since the recent hotfix, players are experiencing different degrees of penalty based on what their settings is (controller, mouse, keymapping and sensitivity).

We are getting ridd of this turn ration penalty system and implementing a hard cap on the turn angle instead, so players will be able to set their turn ration has they like (sensitivity setting) but everyone, no matter what their setup is, should not be able to go further than 90 degrees.

• TheDarkWallTheDarkWall Member Posts: 88

So I do have a question regarding the video below. At roughly 55 seconds in, it looks like he's still doing a 180. There is uneven sensitivity throughout the attack, but you can clearly see where it starts and where the attack ends and it's maybe just slightly shy of 180, but easily exceeding 90 degrees. I'm just confused by this since it looks like you still have more control on pc if this is any metric to go by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_j9EtJmaoo

• EchorionEchorion Member Posts: 1,227

Man if Oni is overperforming and gets nerfed like a month or two from now on top of this, everyone is gonna lose their minds lol.

I am hoping he gets buffs to make him easier to play as, and less frustrating, but I have a feeling the people who don't struggle controlling him like I do are gonna make him look like he's doing super good lol.

• KenshinKenshin Member Posts: 912