The 3.5.0 Q&A thread is now up! If there's a question you'd like answered, now's your chance to ask: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/120618/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Can we have the right to choose our own totem spots?

Most of the time I play as killer my ruin or devour gets cleansed in the first 30 seconds of the game. So I'm stuck with 3 perks and a hard game.

Comments

• PistolTimbPistolTimb Member Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2019

That could be very exploitable, but arguably fair for the killer as it's an entire perk. If a stealth killer finds a crazy niche spot, they could place it and have it up all game. Meanwhile normal killers basically announce they're placing a totem somewhere, but they could wait to place something like hex ruin for late game pressure. I think there's a lot of potential for good gameplay mechanics there.

• GHOSTfaceP3GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 130

That would be fair but ruin is basically needed especially for red ranks bc without it you will get completely gen rushed they either need to do something about gens or make totem hiding places better. I’ve had my ruin destroyed within 26 seconds before..and before you say it’s a risk that’s a perk slot gone in 26 seconds that’s not a risk that’s a disadvantage that should not happen

• LemeTheMemeLemeTheMeme Member Posts: 260

I get the whole risk/ reward thing, but losing a whole perk slot so early in the game is very disheartening, especially since it's RNG based.

However, ruin makes killers create bad habits because of its inconsistencies. If that is something that bugs you, maybe it's time to look into other slowdown perks like corrupt, PGTW, or even Dying Light.

I feel as if ruin will never be changed from a hex perk, just because of how strong it is. Ruin, as is, is super boring to go against as survivor. But, until then, we can only hope that the future will bring us a wider variety of gen slow down perks!

But, back to totem placements, I feel as if the only real problem is when they spawn in T and L walls, as well as in the middle of corn fields. That would be a step in the right direction!

• toxic_clowntoxic_clown Member Posts: 263

Bro we can dream

• Spooky13Spooky13 Member Posts: 823

Don't forget these wonderful totem spawns. Totems have a LoS check so they don't spawn in LoS of survivors. They need something to prevent them from spawning next to gens as well.

• Thanatos_xThanatos_x Member Posts: 194

Good survivors know where the good totem spots are but it's an idea for sure

• Gravewalker200Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 158

Maybe not place totems, but find one and light it.

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 395

This sounds more plausible, plus I like the idea of being able to wait and have ruin kick in later in the game.

• Gravewalker200Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 158

And it can also waste survs time since they don't know if they should cleanse dulls, and if they don't they won't know about ruin until later.

• meatisadelicacymeatisadelicacy Member Posts: 367

Don't use ruin. This isn't me trying to be salty. I'm going to find your totem within 30 seconds if not faster. Use other perks that can't be deactivated.

• BloodwidowBloodwidow Member Posts: 114

Maybe one of these changes would help?

Totems appearing generally later

Totems appearing after the first Generator is completed

• ZFennecFoxZFennecFox Member Posts: 188

Looking at it logically the only way to fix totem spawns is to make them more random but with an algorithm that places three walls adjacent to either side of the totem.

• MPUKMPUK Member Posts: 31

The LOS check is pointless. I have spawned on one side of a wall, walked around the corner and been on ruin within 3 seconds of a match starting. A survivor shouldn't be spawning that close to it whether a wall is in the way or not.

The whole risk/reward thing is rubbish too. If a survivor perk could be removed within 30 seconds of the match starting theybwouldnt be happy about it either.

I stopped using ruin on some killers and moved to corrupt intervention and discordance. Forces a couple of them on to one of the only available gens.

I'm not a salty killer main before people accuse me of it. I play both sides, I just know how [BAD WORD] it is to lose ruin within 30 seconds.

• ZFennecFoxZFennecFox Member Posts: 188

I run Surge/Corrupt/PGTW/enduring on all my killers when I play seriously. The only time I really use Ruin is when I'm messing around with different Killers.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 5,089

This honestly sounds the best option to me.

The perks don't activate until you place it. It lets you pick a good spot but you have to waste the time going there and putting it down. Not to mention the survivors could even watch you to see where you place it now so it adds more counter play as well.

I don't see how this is a bad idea at all. Any good hiding spot is a reasonable place the survivors could find it. If for some reason stacking multiple together is an issue they can simply put a small area around each totems placement where another can't be put there.

• supersonic853supersonic853 Member Posts: 1,029

I like how they say totems spawn in random spots on the map yet unlike the hatch totems spawn in set locations so survivors just have those locations memorized and check each one. Oh look i found ruin within like 1 minute.