Home Technical Issues

EasyAntiCheat Launch Error Failed to start the game

RockRage8962RockRage8962 Member Posts: 45
edited December 2019 in Technical Issues

(I posted this in the bugs section previously, but realized too late that this area existed and couldn't move it, so I'm reposting here as a failsafe.)

Up until today, Dead by Daylight has run without many issues for me, aside from server related issues every once in a while, but when I tried getting on the game today, I was met with this error from EasyAntiCheat.

I have never encountered this issue before, and I've tried reinstalling the game, verifying the integrity of the game cache, deleting my Steam download cache, reinstalling and repairing EAC,restarting my PC, checked my anti-virus software and made sure everything dealing with EAC was allowed, but nothing has worked. It just loads the bar all the way, then it hangs for a bit, and then this message pops up. Looking at the EAC log file also proved useless, as it didn't describe anything being amiss. I'm at my wits end about this, and it's heartbreaking to me, since I've played this game for almost two years now, and don't wish to lose access to all of that progress. I'm on Windows 7, and if anyone has a solution, please let me know if a fix has been found.

Post edited by RockRage8962 on

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 4,956

So I can't guarantee this'll work, but this is what I did.

1) Uninstall EAC.

2) Reboot into safe mode.

3) Reinstall EAC, but when you do, make sure you run as administrator.

4) Reboot back into normal mode, run the game.

I have no idea why THAT specific order fixed things on my PC... but maybe it'll help?

• RockRage8962RockRage8962 Member Posts: 45

I'll give it a try in the morning. I'm not entirely hopeful, but I am hoping to get it working again, as I have no idea what caused it to stop working, as it worked fine the last time I booted it up on the 15th, though if this doesn't fix it, I hope updating to Windows 10 will, as that's the only thing I haven't tried other than re-installing Windows entirely.

Sadly, this too did nothing, but I am glad for the suggestion non-the-less.

My best guess is that the most recent hotfix screwed up somehow on my end, and that it refuses to run as a result, despite everything I have done to fix it. My only hope at this point is that upgrading to Windows 10 will fix it. Otherwise, my only option left is to re-install Windows after getting a backup of everything on my PC.

Upgrade to Win 10 if you're claiming a "free" upgrade (not sure if MS are still doing that) and THEN do a fresh install.

Nothing to do with the game on that one, I just found a win10 upgrade ran super slow, but reinstalling ran WAY better.

You can do a free upgrade even after the Microsoft cutoff date, either by setting your computer's date back in time to when it was available, or with a Windows 10 ISO disc. I have the game uninstalled, and removed the leftover files from the folder. I'm hoping it will count as a fresh install when I get upgraded. If this doesn't fix the EasyAntiCheat problem, I guess a re-install of Windows or a brand new computer entirely are the only options I have left.

Huh. I didn't know that trick. I'll remember that one. :)

I'd DEFINITELY do a reinstall after you've done the upgrade, just because I remember my old laptop ran like utter crap until I did that.

As it turns out, Microsoft keeps extending the free Windows 10 upgrades, and the last time they extended it was as far back as August this year, and can still be downloaded from Microsoft's website. And in good news, my copy works again post upgrade, and I made sure it was a fresh install to ensure no old files were left over. I do believe this is the only surefire way to fix the game if it refuses to load past the EAC screen, as no other tricks worked to fix it. But in all honesty, it's probably for the best, since Windows 7 Extended Support is ending in the middle of next month.