We want your opinion! Complete the latest Players Satisfaction Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/psatDbD
The 3.5.1 hotfix is rolling out today. For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/125057/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

If DbD dies out does BHVR go down too?

Eye66Eye66 Member Posts: 556

So DbD is BHVR'S main source of income right? The ruin changes are bad enough that it's going to drive a huge number of people away from the game and severely compromise the playerbase. Isn't it therefore fiscally irresponsible to go through with a change that could potentially cripple the company's main income? I'm really wondering if we may be seeing the beginning of the end for BHVR itself

Comments

• nick_larkingnick_larking Member Posts: 29

but no ruin means more su;rvivors stick possibly, bhvr doesnt care aslong as survivors keep coming and playing.

Bhvr has to screw up horrible for them to suddenly lose and go down, id say its almost impossible.

• Eye66Eye66 Member Posts: 556

I don't often play ruin but having it available for the 4 man swf that I encounter nonstop for hours helped

• mouse0270mouse0270 Member Posts: 159

You do understand that your statement contradicts itself? Either you rarely play with ruin, or you are constantly playing with it because of nonstop SWF?

Also how do you even know if it is a 4 man SWF? Are you seriously taking the time to check everyone's friends list each and every lobby?

• ElegantElegant Member Posts: 443

People who quit the game are incredibly stupid and should never be taken seriously. If the devs listened to the half of what the community said the would be horrible and unplayable. I don't think I've ever seen a dumber community than the dbd one and that's coming from someone with thousands of hours in LoL. The devs have to do what they think is best for their game balance wise. If that loses some players then ok. If they revert the ruin changes because of the whining I won't touch the game again because they are finally starting to make good balance decisions. All we need now is for maps to get updated/reworked and the game will be in a great place.

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,046

Exactly. DBD ending would hardly be detrimental to the company as they still could afford the things they did before, but maybe could not be as ambitious in terms of partnerships (Licensed Content) depending on what the financial department will swing.

Needless to say however, the ruin change is likely not going to end the game like everyone says it is. It’s likely going to be a huge change to how killer is played since they’ll get truer numbers on how gens are done (since Ruin isn’t slowing down Gens and ran as frequently anymore).

Not to mention that every chapter you buy, everytime you play, every cosmetic you buy, you’re contributing to the success of the game itself.

I’ve heard the “DBD is dying” argument many times on this forum, if it has clearly lasted this long it’s not going to end anytime soon.

• TokkernTokkern Member Posts: 60
  • BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 1,081

It is my fear that BHVR repeats the mistakes of Overkill. So far every other game they make hasn't been very successful

Eternal Crusade was an unmitigated disaster, Death garden despite massive improvements struggles to maintain a playerbase above 200

Overkill went down not because PD2 started making less money but due to bad decisions. I just think BHVR might be over-extending and not fixing core issues

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,046

While I understand that, it should be said that just because they made the game doesn’t mean it’s the only source of their income. They provide assets for other games— so even if it was the budgeting department likely keeps the budgets for projects in a certain range without overextending, even if their own titles don’t turn over if the ones they provide assets for DO, they still make money (I believe, I’d imagine they’d get a share or stake depending on how much assets they provided or they weren’t paid a flat fee, but I’m doubtful of that option).

• Ace_Of_SpadesAce_Of_Spades Member Posts: 43

It says more about the state of the game if 80% used it. You're either in the minority or a survivor main. Either way... These queue times won't be getting any better anytime soon.

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 2,162

I'd honestly laugh my ass off if a nerf to ruin would mean the downfall of this game. Yes, them nerfing ruin without some small compensation or before more maps were reworked was not the best idea, but I'd be pretty baffled if so many people would stop playing killer entirely. There are still killers that are viable without Ruin. It's just that the killer variety at high ranks will take quite a hit, sadly.

Personally, I'm still going to play killer. In fact, I can't wait for the patch to release so I can play reworked Doctor.

Just a shame they are so slow with map reworks. Maybe they really should just add some small second objective for survivors to the game using totems, if they conitnue to be this slow with map reworks.

• Ace_Of_SpadesAce_Of_Spades Member Posts: 43

Finally making good balance decisions? New to the game huh? And any vet knows the devs of BHVR play this game way less than their fan base. This is more like throwing pills at an open mouth and seeing what makes it in.

• gauger236gauger236 Member Posts: 11

I play both sides alot.on my killer I never use ruin and could get 4k pretty much every match but choose not to be a dick and let everyone have fun.as survivor I see most killers get mad if they dont 4k.i guess the question is what does everyone consider a win

• Logey7Logey7 Member Posts: 15

Dbds playerbase has been rising for a while now. It is far from dead and is far from being dead. The chances that these changes convince an entire playerbase to leave is astronomically low.

• AcculllaAccullla Member Posts: 447
    edited January 14

Of course, i agree with everything you said, although I'd argue that there currently aren't any "weak" powers, but you're saying that as if there aren't a bunch of other good substitutes for ruin in terms of perks. If early game pressure is what you're after you'll always have corrupt intervention, whispers, discordance and so on to help pressure survivors in the first 15 seconds of the game. What bothers me is that a lot of people are so used to running ruin that they are unwilling to try other builds and strategies and see that it's completely viable to do well at red ranks without it as every killer. I'm saying that from personal experience..